Strength Loss

Options
How long does it take for one to lose strength and muscle gains? I used to do strength training, until I found out I was pregnant June of last year. I can't afford a gym membership at the moment, so I have no way to assess this.

Also, I've heard people on mfp mention Convict Conditioning as a good resource for weight training. Are there any other resources that focus on how to weight train without a gym. For example, I used to leg press 450 lbs, bench press 130 lbs and I would like to replicate that at home, if possible. The only non-traditional way I can think of is strongman type of training.

Thank you!

Replies

• Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    I went 2 weeks between lifting and noticed big time setbacks.

I've been laid up for about 6+ weeks for health reasons and will be out for at least 4 more. I have a feeling most of the work I put in from November to June will be lost but I think it's helping me heal faster than "normal" I lost 17 pounds in a week and a half in the hospital so I'm sure that didn't help either.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It depends, but it's easier to get it back than it was to get it in the first place. Strongman training takes a surprising amount of specialized equipment or someone who can make it for you, which is seems wrong but there you go. You can do a lot with bodyweight stuff - I've used "Never Gymless" which is on the more hardcore end of things (and was specifically written by a bodybuilder when his kid was born and he couldn't spend hours in the gym anymore), and "You Are Your Own Gym" which is more of a total fitness package, and I'd recommend either of them. I still can't do a one-armed pullup, though.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I went 2 weeks between lifting and noticed big time setbacks.

Same here. I don't lift much during race season, and lifted today for the first time in 2 weeks. My push lifts were REALLY weak, but pulls were still decent.

Following along as I was wondering the same thing.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing! I didn't know a person could lose strength and/or muscle gains so quickly, since it takes awhile to build either.

I'll have to look into "You are Your Own Gym". I'm doing Insanity now, and while I like the intense cardio, I miss weight training. Surprised to hear how specialized the equipment are in strongman competitions too. Maybe I should save up and find someone who trains others locally.