• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    qpmomma1 wrote: »
    In all honestly, I'd be questioning why someone feels the need to drink 700 calories worth of soda to begin with?? What it is in these drinks that keep people so hooked that they have to have it every single day? It can't be caffeine, because many of these people also drink coffee and tea.

Sure, i drink coffee and tea every morning, but it's just a habit that I've gotten used to. I stayed at my daughters house for a few days last month, not a drop of either in her house, so i had a warm chocolate milk every morning. I was relieved to know that i don't have an addiction to the caffeine, it's just the warm a.m drink that i look for.

I agree. I am from the UK and when I see the size of some of the drinks containers in the US it boggles me. A medium McDonalds drinks container in the UK is smaller than a US small. I don't understand how people can drink 64oz of anything in one sitting without having a stomach ache/constantly needing to pee. And with hot drinks even more so. How can you drink that much before it goes cold?

I think my tea drinking is more of a psychological habit than a physical one. I only drink it at work usually when I want an excuse to get up and stretch my legs or as part of my morning ritual while my computer is loading. I only really drink fizzy drinks (Dr Pepper is my favourite) if I am very tired or hungover.

This is a big reason why obesity is such a big epidemic here in the US. I haven't paid much attention to the calories in my drinks until recently. In the US if you get a med. Mcdonald's meal with a drink it can exceed your calorie requirement for the DAY. We are talking about 1,000+ calories a MEAL. It's insane when you think about it. I've been getting kids meals at the drive through and cutting my portions in half and taking it home when I eat out. I have to be very aware of it or I'll easily go over my calories for the day.

pop/soda isn't the only culprit.

for example 1 cup of apple juice
    113 calories
    28 grams of carbs (24 from sugar)

1 cup of mountain dew
    110 calories
    31 grams of carbs (all from sugar)

1 cup of coke
    100 calories
    26 grams of carbs (26 of those from sugar)

1 cup of redbull
    45 calories
    11 grams of carbs 10 from sugar

1 cup of unsweetened OJ
    110 calories
    24 grams of carbs (20 from sugar)

As for drinking 64 oz of something....I do that with water every day...my "cup" is 24 oz and I add nesfruta to it so it's like drinking juice...no one says a word about that and how is that possible.

People are fat because they take in too many calories and don't move enough...period can't blame just one thing on it like "pop".

Oh I probably drink that much water too but that's over a whole day in multiple glasses or a bottle with a screw top. These massive drinks containers are supposed to be consumed in a short amount of time right? Or they will go flat. Otherwise why are they served with a straw?

Saying that, I can easily drink three or four pints of beer on a night at the pub. It just means I need to pee frequently! The difference is I am also getting a buzz. With high calorie non-alcohol drinks there I don't see the appeal. Each to their own though :)

It takes a couple of hours for soda to go flat.

They're served with a straw and a lid because we're talking about getting them from fast food places. In the US, drinks from fast food places come with a lid. Soda, water, juice, coffee, etc. If the drink is hot, no straw. If the drink is cold, you get a straw. It's to help prevent spills.

Get served a soda in a sit down restaurant and there is no lid or straw (unless you ask for one and they use them for to-go orders).

ETA: Back to topic, use what works best in whatever you're eating/drinking. For me, it's sugar for baking/cooking, sweeteners in drinks.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

But of course that's not what's happening. I have nothing against you being keto. I'm low carb myself, although currently not so low carb that I don't eat fruit. But you weren't saying "for me this would be a bad choice" but asserting that sugar was horrible, period.

(Some T2D do include added sugar in their diets, balanced with other foods -- not much different than if I made a roasted turkey leg with a cranberry sauce and brussels sprouts. I normally use orange juice to sweeten the cranberries (which is a kind of added sugar, really), but if someone preferred to use a little sugar, same thing. My point here is not that you should do this, but again that sugar is not inherently HORRIBLE.)

Do you see the point? -- I'm not saying anything about what you should do or criticizing your personal choices, but commenting on you seeming to judge what others do.

I am T2Dm and a teaspoon of sugar in my tea does not harm me in any way. I log it and I stick to my daily carb max of 160 g or less. There is nothing wrong with sugar in and of itself, as long as it is figured in to the daily balance of macros.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I prefer real sugar. Artificial sweeteners though may be less calories, tend to have a higher concentration and can make you crave more I have pcos, I don't need any more help in craving sugar. So if its something I want I will just have regular sugar/coconut sugar/brown sugar. whatever it may be I choose to use.

It's the exact opposite. Artificial sweeteners are used in much lower concentrations than sugar.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I prefer real sugar. Artificial sweeteners though may be less calories, tend to have a higher concentration and can make you crave more I have pcos, I don't need any more help in craving sugar. So if its something I want I will just have regular sugar/coconut sugar/brown sugar. whatever it may be I choose to use.

It's the exact opposite. Artificial sweeteners are used in much lower concentrations than sugar.

I'm referring to how it is sweeter, so if I am going to use a teaspoon of sugar or a teaspoon of aspartame the aspartame is going to be sweeter tasting, having pcos I don't need things to be sweeter and making me crave it more. I prefer to not use artificial sweeteners or sugar as a general rule, but if I choose, I go with regular sugar.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm referring to how it is sweeter, so if I am going to use a teaspoon of sugar or a teaspoon of aspartame the aspartame is going to be sweeter tasting, having pcos I don't need things to be sweeter and making me crave it more. I prefer to not use artificial sweeteners or sugar as a general rule, but if I choose, I go with regular sugar.

If this was the only objection, it could be countered by using less aspartame. I don't like my coffee to be really sweet, so I often just use part of a package.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

If this was the only objection, it could be countered by using less aspartame. I don't like my coffee to be really sweet, so I often just use part of a package.

Regardless I choose not to use it. It's my personal preference.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Regardless I choose not to use it. It's my personal preference.

I have no problem with people choosing not to use it, I'm just pointing out that using less is always an option if the sole reason for avoiding it is that it is sweeter than an equivalent amount of sugar.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    well then if we must get pedantic about it...fine.
    stevia is too sweet almost sickening...xylitol causes bowel issues and is poisonous to dogs/cats erythritol same bowel issues as xylitol as it is a sugar alcohol as well.
    Neither stevia nor erythritol causes bowel issues in most people unless they eat really big quantities or are allergic. Xylitol can be a problem for some people though. Whether you like the taste of stevia and whether you think xylitol might pose a risk to your pets are for you to decide, but most people wouldn't call those side effects.
    and no sugar doesn't have as many calories as all mentioned.

honey has 62 calores per tbsp, sugar has 42....
    If you look back at what I posted, you'll see this:
    Compared to all non-sugar sweeteners that were mentioned.
    Honey is not a non-sugar sweetener; it is mostly made up of sugar and that is where its sweetness comes from. Sugar does have more calories than all the non-sugar sweeteners that were mentioned.

This discussion was posted in the weight loss section, so it's a drawback if a food has a lot of calories. And for most people, dental health is also important.

lol..you really want people to use something other than sugar don't you...

and again if you want to get into details erythritol is a sugar alcohol...aka sugar that is found in many energy drinks, naturally occurs in some fruit and fermented foods but apparently when found in other foods is considered a GMO as it is ultra processed.

Erythritol is a four-carbon sugar alcohol or polyol that contains about 60 percent to 80 percent of the sweetness of table sugar.

The WHO actually says that based on the definition of GMO that Stevia and Erythritol fall into that category of a GMO

and because you need more Erythritol there is common occurrence of digestive issues esp in children.

Stevia is just ick and falls under the GMO umbrella too.

I personally don't care about GMO issues but some might.
    I don't care about GMOs either but frankly I'm not sure you know what they are. Being "ultra processed" whatever that means, doesn't make something GMO. Stevia, xylitol and erythritol are all available in organic non-GMO form, for those who care about such things. I know this because I have all 3 in my pantry. Anyone here can easily confirm the availability of non-GMO versions of all 3 with a simple Google search.

Also, sugar alcohols are not sugar.

And to reiterate what was asked, the question was "what's wrong with sugar?" and I was answering that. There's no dispute in the medical or scientific communities that sugar as a sweetener is linked to tooth decay and that lower-calorie non-sugar alternatives are available. There's also no dispute that for someone who needs to lose weight, eliminating extra calories is a good idea.

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    what's wrong with sugar?

Depends on who you ask:
    • It's "refined" empty calories
    • Sugar plantations exploit the land and the people
    • Some of the most biodiverse regions on the planet have been cleared for sugarcane production.
    • 7.5 Bagasse, molasses, press mud, waste water and fly ash are produced during the manufacture of sugar. As bagasse, molasses and press mud are gainfully utilized, they do not cause much environmental pollution though they are potential pollutants. ... 7.7 Sugar mill waste water has low BOD.

But fructose is worse; fructose is a major contributor to:
    • Insulin resistance and obesity
    • Elevated blood pressure
    • Elevated triglycerides and elevated LDL
    • Depletion of vitamins and minerals
    • Cardiovascular disease, liver disease, cancer, arthritis, and even gout

Artificial Sweeteners are bad, because:

1. They trick your taste buds.
    Artificial sweeteners, even natural ones like stevia, which comes from an herb, are hundreds, sometimes thousands, of times sweeter than sugar, says Anne Alexander, editor of Prevention magazine and author of the new book, The Sugar Smart Diet. Sucralose, sold under the brand name Splenda, is 600 times sweeter than table sugar, and neotame, an emerging alternative to aspartame, is 7,000 times sweeter. Stevia is 200 to 300 times sweeter than table sugar. "And evidence suggests that exposing your taste buds to these high-intensity sweeteners makes them less receptive to natural sources of sweetness such as fruit," says Alexander. When your taste buds get dulled, you're more likely to seek out sweeter and sweeter foods.

2. They trick your gut.
    Susan Swithers, PhD, professor of behavioral neuroscience at Purdue University and a leading researcher on artificial sweeteners, says that your gut gets confused when you eat zero-calorie-but-super-sweet artificial sweeteners. The sweet taste sends a signal to your gut that something high calorie is on its way, so your gut anticipates foods that do, in fact, have a high calorie count. But when those don't arrive, your gut doesn't utilize the foods efficiently, and that causes a cascading effect that interferes with your body's hunger signals.

3. They mess with your hormones.
    Part of that cascading effect has to do with the hormone insulin. When you taste sweet foods, even if they have zero calories, your body still releases insulin as if you'd eaten sugar. Insulin leads to blood sugar spikes, which increase cravings. Swithers' research has also suggested that artificial sweeteners prevent your body from producing GLP-1, a hormone that controls blood sugar levels and feelings of satiety. Combined, the two haywire hormones could be causing you to feel hungrier and eat more.

4. They make you overeat.
    It's not just a biochemical reaction that leads artificial sweeteners to pack on the pounds. Natasha Turner, ND, author of The Super-Charged Hormone Diet, says that artificially sweetened foods could trick you into overeating because of they way they feel in your mouth. "The taste and feel of food in our mouth influences our learned ability to match our caloric intake with our caloric need," she says. High fat, high sugar foods taste both sweet and dense, signaling to your brain that they're high calories. But artificially sweetened foods often have a thinner consistency and texture than sugar-sweetened foods and thus, aren't as satisfying. "Our natural ability to control how much we eat and, therefore, our body weight may be weakened when this natural link is impaired by consuming products that contain artificial sweeteners," she says.

5. They increase the risk of diabetes.
    The two above, combined, could explain why a number of studies have found that diet soda drinkers are at an increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Researchers aren't clear as to why they're seeing this relationship, whether it's the fact that people eat other unhealthy foods that undo any calorie-saving effects of a no-calorie drink or if it's something biological related to the drinks' artificial sugars. But something is obviously amiss: A recent study from the University of Texas found that people who drank diet soda were 65 percent more likely to be overweight than people who drank no soda and, more bizarre, they were more likely to be overweight than people who drank regular soda.

6. They're polluting your water.
    Artificial sweeteners are meant to be hearty—they're designed to withstand the harsh conditions of your body so they won't break down and add calories. Because they're so potent, they don't break down in the environment, when exposed to light, oxygen and microbes, either. In a 2009 study published in the journal Environmental Science & Technology, Swedish researchers detected sucralose and acesulfame K in treated wastewater, including samples that were pulled from a municipal water-supply source. They also noted that the artificial sweeteners hadn't degraded in wastewater sludge after a period of seven hours. Canadian researchers got the same results four years later; sucralose and acesulfame were found in each sample drawn from a river that collects wastewater from 33 different treatment plants.

7. They're genetically modified.
    As if the preceding six reasons weren't enough to turn you off artificial sweeteners for good, here's one more: They're yet another source of genetically modified crops in your food. Artificial sweeteners such as sucralose, aspartame, neotame, and erythritol can all be made from corn, soy, or sugar beets. In the United States, the vast majority of those three crops have been genetically altered to resist or produce harmful pesticides.

Dead wrong

And a copy/pasta at that!!

Mmmm... pasta.
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    Sweeteners are really bad for your health.. They may cause health issues in the future!!
    Sugar isn't great as well, it stores as fat really easy and if you want to loose weight it isn't the best.. Maybe a small amount would be fine:)
    Try putting more natural things, such as honey. I have heard that stevia works for some people as well..:)
    Links to reputable sources, please.

And, lol, no. Sugar does NOT get stored as fat. Excess calories do. If sugar stores as fat, then my 100lb+ weight loss to date is a farce.
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Sweeteners are really bad for your health.. They may cause health issues in the future!!
    Sugar isn't great as well, it stores as fat really easy and if you want to loose weight it isn't the best.. Maybe a small amount would be fine:)
    Try putting more natural things, such as honey. I have heard that stevia works for some people as well..:)

1. Sweeteners are not bad for health.
    2. Sugar does not inhibit fat loss or make you store fat.
    3. Honey is sugar

Please just stop

Hahahaha ok... soooo
    1. http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/food/trying-lose-weight-stay-away-artificial-sweeteners?amp

http://www.medicaldaily.com/4-dangerous-effects-artificial-sweeteners-your-health-247543?amp=1

2. Sugar will not make you store fat if you do an activity right after...or 2-3 hours later.. Unless your metabolism is really high..

3. Honey is natural ... of course it is much better than an artificial sweetener ... it is natural!

:smile:

Not a reputable scientific source of information. Ugh
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    well then if we must get pedantic about it...fine.
    stevia is too sweet almost sickening...xylitol causes bowel issues and is poisonous to dogs/cats erythritol same bowel issues as xylitol as it is a sugar alcohol as well.
    Neither stevia nor erythritol causes bowel issues in most people unless they eat really big quantities or are allergic. Xylitol can be a problem for some people though. Whether you like the taste of stevia and whether you think xylitol might pose a risk to your pets are for you to decide, but most people wouldn't call those side effects.
    and no sugar doesn't have as many calories as all mentioned.

honey has 62 calores per tbsp, sugar has 42....
    If you look back at what I posted, you'll see this:
    Compared to all non-sugar sweeteners that were mentioned.
    Honey is not a non-sugar sweetener; it is mostly made up of sugar and that is where its sweetness comes from. Sugar does have more calories than all the non-sugar sweeteners that were mentioned.

This discussion was posted in the weight loss section, so it's a drawback if a food has a lot of calories. And for most people, dental health is also important.

lol..you really want people to use something other than sugar don't you...

and again if you want to get into details erythritol is a sugar alcohol...aka sugar that is found in many energy drinks, naturally occurs in some fruit and fermented foods but apparently when found in other foods is considered a GMO as it is ultra processed.

Erythritol is a four-carbon sugar alcohol or polyol that contains about 60 percent to 80 percent of the sweetness of table sugar.

The WHO actually says that based on the definition of GMO that Stevia and Erythritol fall into that category of a GMO

and because you need more Erythritol there is common occurrence of digestive issues esp in children.

Stevia is just ick and falls under the GMO umbrella too.

I personally don't care about GMO issues but some might.
    I don't care about GMOs either but frankly I'm not sure you know what they are. Being "ultra processed" whatever that means, doesn't make something GMO. Stevia, xylitol and erythritol are all available in organic non-GMO form, for those who care about such things. I know this because I have all 3 in my pantry. Anyone here can easily confirm the availability of non-GMO versions of all 3 with a simple Google search.

Also, sugar alcohols are not sugar.

And to reiterate what was asked, the question was "what's wrong with sugar?" and I was answering that. There's no dispute in the medical or scientific communities that sugar as a sweetener is linked to tooth decay and that lower-calorie non-sugar alternatives are available. There's also no dispute that for someone who needs to lose weight, eliminating extra calories is a good idea.

I assure you I am quite aware of what a GMO is.

You didn't answer the question as to what is actually wrong with sugar...you threw out some things that can be countered and therefore are moot in response to my question.

and yes sugar is linked to tooth decay but it's not the only cause and can be preventable...I mean come on...if tooth decay is your only real reason then it really it moot....as this was about tea.

and eliminating extra calories is required for losing weight but there is no reason to eliminate sugar to do it...esp in tea when the other things have been shown to cause their own issues which you want to gloss by or deny...try cutting down on the sugar and other foods you eat in excess.

I would prefer to eat 35 calories per tsp than have bowel issues thx...

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I would prefer to eat 35 calories per tsp than have bowel issues thx...

Sugar is actually 16 calories per teaspoon and 4 g of carbs

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    In all honestly, I'd be questioning why someone feels the need to drink 700 calories worth of soda to begin with?? What it is in these drinks that keep people so hooked that they have to have it every single day? It can't be caffeine, because many of these people also drink coffee and tea.

Sure, i drink coffee and tea every morning, but it's just a habit that I've gotten used to. I stayed at my daughters house for a few days last month, not a drop of either in her house, so i had a warm chocolate milk every morning. I was relieved to know that i don't have an addiction to the caffeine, it's just the warm a.m drink that i look for.

I agree. I am from the UK and when I see the size of some of the drinks containers in the US it boggles me. A medium McDonalds drinks container in the UK is smaller than a US small. I don't understand how people can drink 64oz of anything in one sitting without having a stomach ache/constantly needing to pee. And with hot drinks even more so. How can you drink that much before it goes cold?

I think my tea drinking is more of a psychological habit than a physical one. I only drink it at work usually when I want an excuse to get up and stretch my legs or as part of my morning ritual while my computer is loading. I only really drink fizzy drinks (Dr Pepper is my favourite) if I am very tired or hungover.

Yeah there's quite a difference in size in Australia V America too (graphic below), and i "think" the US has refill options? None of the Macca's I've ever been to gives free refills. I can never finish a small drink from Mcdonalds, let a lone a large one. It's not just the drinks that are huge, their take away and restaurant meals are massive and incredibly cheap too. I think most Americans would scoff if they came here and saw our smaller portion sizes and higher prices.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

Yeah there's quite a difference in size in Australia V America too (graphic below), and i "think" the US has refill options? None of the Macca's I've ever been to gives free refills. I can never finish a small drink from Mcdonalds, let a lone a large one. It's not just the drinks that are huge, their take away and restaurant meals are massive and incredibly cheap too. I think most Americans would scoff if they came here and saw our smaller portion sizes and higher prices.

depends on the mcdonalds some will give refills. some wont. I have yet to find one that does.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just going to drop this in here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dod6bUZYz4w
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Sweeteners.
  • seximama2017
    seximama2017 Posts: 54 Member
    Options

I'd ask for citations. But as there are non on the page you ripped this from, it's pointless.

http://www.rodalesorganiclife.com/food/trying-lose-weight-stay-away-artificial-sweeteners

Bias is bias.[/quote]

Love it! Citations are part of my job... reliable/credible?