Kickboxing and Pregnancy

Options
Hey MFP Hivemind!

I'm sooooooo excited to start kickboxing classes in May! It helped me lose 50 lbs a few years ago and I loooooove it!

My husband and I are planning on trying for baby #2 starting in June. Is it safe to take kickboxing classes when trying to get pregnant and throughout pregnancy? To be clear, there is no hand-to-hand combat here. It's all in the air or with a bag. But it's definitely going to be a higher impact workout.

Replies

• RaptorMommy
    RaptorMommy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    And to clarify further, I'll be seeing my OBGYN in May, and can get her medical opinion then. I'm asking the Hivemind now because I want to take advantage of a web special for awesome pricing on the classes...but if it's not safe, it's not worth the investment!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I don't see a problem while trying, but even if it's not actual hand to hand, accidents happen when legs and arms are flying around so I'd give some serious consideration once you are pregnant.
  • Mimigurken
    Mimigurken Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I am a Kickboxing instructor and taught classes until my 7th month. I modified some moves (no jumping after the 5th month) and lowered my kicks.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant, I was doing an outdoor intense bootcamp several times a week and continued through my 6th month of pregnancy. You will definitely want to discuss with your OB once you get preganant, but generally the advice is to continue with whatever level of fitness you were used to before getting pregnant. Not starting some high intensity workout afterwards. My OB was actually really excited at my activity level. Only issue I had was after i finished the first trimester they didnt want me doing exercises on my back, like ab exercises.
  • ksz1104
    ksz1104 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    the only reason I even stopped was because it was an outdoor bootcamp, and it was towards the end of may and way too hot. I honestly think my delivery was so quick and recovery was so quick because of my fitness level.
  • RaptorMommy
    RaptorMommy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your feedback! It is definitely something I want to do because I love it! I will go into it knowing that it has to come to an end at some point through the pregnancy, and I will most definitely be seeking the approval of my OBGYN because I don't want to do anything to harm the baby!