General advice- new to running

Options
2»

Replies

• Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    FlipBelt ($20?)for your phone and other stuff.

BlueTooth earpiece for music ($40?), so you have one ear open.

"Running" shoes sold in a basic dept store aren't necessarily the best quality. Nothing wrong with the brands they sell but I've noticed they just don't carry the higher end shoes those same brands offer on their own websites. So check out a running store, especially if you want to get fitted properly for shoes, but after that you can find a few decent shoes at a sporting goods store (Academy) or DSW or order online. More choices to try on if you go to a running store.

Well my chubby self fits snug in an XL fit belt, I wish they had an XXL! I'm hoping it's okay to wear under my shirt!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Another vote for a FlipBelt.

I love my wireless earphones - they work, no cord flipping around, water resistant. Life time guarantee with free replacement against failure from rain, sweat, etc and they never threaten to fall out. I bought expensive ones because I have a very narrow ear canal and mine were the only ones that came close to fitting at the time. I have to use the silicone ear fin provided. They'd never fit inside my ear. They've since come out with even smaller ones that I'd love to try, but I won't be purchasing new until mine die and there's no hint that will be happening soon.
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I honestly love these headphones. Only $6 and they've stayed with me a few months now. They stay in place perfectly and they're not noise canceling, so I can hear what's around me if I wear them outside. Think the headphones that went with your walkman in the 90s. These are those, but with better quality. They're showing no sign of slowing down, but even when they do break, at least I didn't spend a bunch of money on them? I'm just happy that I'm not getting outer ear infections all the time from ear buds anymore.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I tried to get my iPhone 7plus with case into a flipbelt and it wouldn't fit :neutral: I refuse to take my $$$$ phone out of its protective case so I went with a stretchy belt by Nathan. I can get my phone in there and it doesn't bounce around. For shorter runs I just carry my phone in my hand. For longer distances I use the belt to hold my phone and carry a hand strap water bottle that has a large pocket to carry anything else I might need.

I also use Runkeeper to track my distance, location and it gives audio cues which help keep me on pace. It's really funny to change the voice to drill Sargent.

Don't underestimate the quality of the socks you wear running. Along with properly fitted shoes it can make a big difference in how comfortable your feet feel. I love my Belaga running socks!

I also discovered Plot a Route website - you can find places to run and the distances say if you run around a local park. When I'm scheduled to do a long run I like to plot a route through the local trails. I want to know ahead of time which trails to run to achieve the desired distance - unless you are always doing an out and back...
  • yellingkimber
    yellingkimber Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The poster above me reminded me - Darn Tough brand socks. They're the only sock I'll wear now because they're so good. They make an excellent no show and each pair is buy it for life- they'll replace them whenever they wear out.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I use a Buddy Pouch to carry my phone, it's a magnetic pouch that attaches to your waistband. I hated wearing an armband, and I was wearing a belt for a long time, but find the pouch so much comfier.
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I did not like the armband. I have an adjustable pouch that clips, it has a zipper in the front so I am sure my phone and keys are not going to fall out. I found mine right next to the flipbelt at the store. Sorry I do not remember the name of it.
  • WhitneyDurham777
    WhitneyDurham777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Can't agree with the people using belts enough. I hate armbands. I have several running belts but my favorite is a neoprene belt with two pockets and a water bottle holder. I can put my phone in one pocket and my keys in the other pocket that way they don't scratch the screen and in the middle of the summer it is enough water even on hot days for 10 mi runs. the neoprene keeps everything dry in the rain. Also love the plantronics bluetooth headphone. Lies pretty flush to the ear and has good battery life.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    ebaroldy wrote: »
    FlipBelt ($20?)for your phone and other stuff.

BlueTooth earpiece for music ($40?), so you have one ear open.

"Running" shoes sold in a basic dept store aren't necessarily the best quality. Nothing wrong with the brands they sell but I've noticed they just don't carry the higher end shoes those same brands offer on their own websites. So check out a running store, especially if you want to get fitted properly for shoes, but after that you can find a few decent shoes at a sporting goods store (Academy) or DSW or order online. More choices to try on if you go to a running store.

Well my chubby self fits snug in an XL fit belt, I wish they had an XXL! I'm hoping it's okay to wear under my shirt!

I always wear my flipbelt under my shirt anyway :)
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    For music, I have a pair of these bone conduction headphones. They come in a wireless version too, if you prefer. Bone conduction headphones don't go in your ears, they press against the side of your head in front of your ears and transmit sound through the bone. Since your ears are open, you are still fully aware of your surroundings. Sound quality is surprisingly good, though earbuds are still better. The main downside is that sound leaks out, if you wear them in a quiet room then everyone will hear your music. Not as much of a problem outdoors, but people within a few yards can hear it.