Can't Find Comfortable Bar Position During Squat

Options
I've hit a wall in my squat progress because I literally can't tolerate the pain the bar is causing me. When I put it where it feels like it's "on" a neck bone, it feels like the bone could break. In between bones and it feels like two bones could break. Move it down toward the lower neck, upper back and my shoulders feel the pain, too. Yesterday I even tried the mid/upper back position I see some people do, but that just put all kinds of strain in my arms.

Here's the weirdest part: My form is fine, I've had it checked. And I have progressed WAY past the point I am now in the past with NONE of these issues. Just to give you an idea: The bar along (45 lbs) is *uncomfortable.* 100 lbs is about a 5 on the pain scale. Yesterday I was supposed to life 5x5 130 lbs but had to stop after 3 b/c it just hurt too damn bad.

What is going on y'all!

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    post a picture of where you have it positioned. it should not be on your bones. and what is the strain in your arms? its a full body workout position, so you will feel it in your arms and shoulders as they hold the weight. are your shoulders back and tight to make a place to rest the bar , or are they just loose and hanging there?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you moving your grip out on the bar when you move it to "low bar" position on your back?
  • FatWithFatness
    FatWithFatness Posts: 315 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Try a thumbless grip to get your elbows down and shoulders back. High bar should be resting on your traps, low bar on your rear delts.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »
    I've hit a wall in my squat progress because I literally can't tolerate the pain the bar is causing me. When I put it where it feels like it's "on" a neck bone, it feels like the bone could break. In between bones and it feels like two bones could break. Move it down toward the lower neck, upper back and my shoulders feel the pain, too. Yesterday I even tried the mid/upper back position I see some people do, but that just put all kinds of strain in my arms.

Here's the weirdest part: My form is fine, I've had it checked. And I have progressed WAY past the point I am now in the past with NONE of these issues. Just to give you an idea: The bar along (45 lbs) is *uncomfortable.* 100 lbs is about a 5 on the pain scale. Yesterday I was supposed to life 5x5 130 lbs but had to stop after 3 b/c it just hurt too damn bad.

What is going on y'all!

Form starts with grip and bar position, which is obviously not correct. Give the below a watch and see if you can do these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrnq4OAN5bE
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    zamphir66 wrote: »

What is going on y'all!

If no issues with form, then you can try a bar pad (https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gl/barpad.html).
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    OP-It sounds to me like you might have some mobility issues with your upper back/shoulders. Good mobility means you are able to have the bar placed on your back (high bar or low bar) with straight wrists and no pain. Having a barbell on your back should not be uncomfortable.

If you don't already have one, buy a resistance band and a mobility ball (a lacrosse ball works great) and try some of these stretches/rolling. Dedicate about 10-15 minutes/day to shoulder mobility. I think it will benefit you greatly. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTMkmajh6FQ

I literally do the stretches in this video before every workout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eveYJP1indI
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Try a thumbless grip to get your elbows down and shoulders back. High bar should be resting on your traps, low bar on your rear delts.

This^^^ Bar shouldn't be on your neck or on any other bones.