Easy asparagus ideas

Options
Chadxx
Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
The other day, I wanted something higher protein and a little more nutritious than the pizza I was making for everyone else and had chicken and asparagus in the fridge. I simply cut up the asparagus and put it in a pan with a lid and added a little water and started it while I cut up the chicken. I then added the chicken and seasoned with salt, garlic, and Italian seasonings. When the chicken finished I added some dry ranch, parmesan, and reduced fat mozzarella. There is also a little bit of extra lean ground beef left over from topping the pizzas. It turned out surprisingly good. Last night, I made essentially the same dish but added mushrooms and used beef fajitas for the meat. This is definitely going to make regular appearances on my plate.

m4ebsu73p8et.jpg

Replies

• dabearo
    dabearo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Roll asparagus in beaten egg whites. Roll in Parmesan cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 400.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    My family likes asparagus so much we might as well call it an essential food group. One really easy way to prep it is to grill (outdoor BBQ) or broil it: trim the cut end off, spritz or toss with some olive or coconut oil, season, and grill away (we like them browned a bit). I often, once I trim off the cut end, also trim up about halfway, collecting the lower stems while using the heads/upper stems for the current meal. These lower stems I steam on another day, or cut into small rounds as part of the veggies in a "confetti" (or "veggie") rice dish, or toss into scrambled eggs or omelettes (the lower stems can keep for a day or two longer than the more fragile head parts). You can get pretty complicated with asparagus, for instance, tortes and other dishes, but you specified "simple" in this posting. Steamed/boiled asparagus tastes entirely different from broiled/roasted.