How do I lose weight working at a restaurant?

Options
2»

Replies

• happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing that free food isn't necessarily free. It's coming to you at a cost. I'm not saying don't accept it I'm just saying accept a much smaller portion as restaurant serving sizes are usually more than 1 serving.
  • pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I saw someone say, treat the free food like a supermarket and your calories like a budget, you don't buy everything in a supermarket, also having pre prepped food at home in fridge or freezer is useful when you get home hungry and tired
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Can you maybe get foods you don't like as much? I'm not saying food you dislike. No point in that. But when I serve dessert to company, I always have one homemade lo-cal option and one bakery item that I can resist. Sometimes it's something I dislike, but more often it's just something I find easy to moderate (say... a loaf cake that tastes good but not so good that I'll be slicing up the leftovers later).

Have your favorite stuff on the menu when you've got the calories to enjoy them guilt-free.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Decide what's more important. Losing weight or getting a free delicious meal. I'm offered many delicious food at work (usually after I've prelogged my day at the last minute. It's okay to say no.
  • RubyLou25
    RubyLou25 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    I must be a weirdo (well, I am, but that's a different subject) - when working in a restaurant I lost weight because I just couldn't eat at work. None of the food seemed appetizing while I was working.

Not at all. I see the food so much it doesn't look appetizing. We do have competitions between the servers and free meals are often one of the prizes. I know which meal will fit into my calorie goal when I've got them.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    Editme12 wrote: »
    I started working at a big restaurant in August. And don't get me wrong, I struggled a bit with willpower before that point, but since then it's been damn near impossible for me. I've gained 10-15 pounds.

I get free bread and soup whenever I want, so yes I try to stay away from that now, but for me the bigger issue is I often get free food (like the good food from the kitchen). And I'm not one to lose out on free stuff. So then it comes the willpower of choosing the "better" options. But it's such a big menu, it's so difficult! I've tried bringing my own portioned food.... but how does that compare to a chicken parm sandwich?

So, anybody got any advice for me? I've found success with MFP before, even including eating out, but it's different when I have the option to eat out for free every time I go to work.
    You aren't forced to eat. You CHOOSE to. If you choose to eat there, then EXPECT the results you get. Don't blame the restaurant. It's a matter of personal choice on what's more important to you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png