ALDI Favorites??

Options
13»

Replies

• hnstotler
    hnstotler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Just curious but has anyone tried the protein powder they sell? I'm considering trying it but its a pretty big container.

I have tried the vanilla! I mix a scoop with their unsweetened vanilla almond milk nearly every day for breakfast. I like it! I just put it in a blender bottle and was honestly surprised at how well it blended together. Even with water it's good! It may not be the greatest in taste, but I honestly like it and it gets the job done for a great price!

My current favorites are the light string cheese and their version of Fiber One bars, in the cinnamon swirl! Yummy!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I buy most of my staples at Aldis. Eggs, milk, butter, sour cream, shredded cheeses, baking products, etc. Produce is decent in my location. They have some great deals. Frozen fish and frozen chicken breasts are cheap. Here are some of the other items I often buy:

Happy Farms Brie Cheese
    Sea Queen Imitation Crab Meat (best I've ever tasted)
    Kerrygold Cheeses (they don't always have these, but they do come in every couple of months)
    Kirkwood Honey Battered Chicken Tenders
    Lunch Mate Rotisserie Seasoned Chicken Breast (lunch meat)
    Fit & Active Brown Rice
    Sriracha Black Beans (seasonal item)

• krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love their cherry tomatoes. I can eat almost the whole container in one sitting (but I don't). Any of their produce that's on sale is wonderful - though check the expiration/best by date because some of them are a bit older. The only thing I haven't liked is their Greek yogurt - I like Dannon Oikos and Aldi's just isn't as good.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Last night we ate eggplant from Aldi and it was very good.
  • illusion2269
    illusion2269 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My usual list from Aldi:
    Rotisserie Chicken lunch meat
    Sliced Muenster cheese
    Peanut butter dark chocolate protein bars
    Steamable frozen Brussels sprouts
    Steamable frozen California blend veggies
    Eggs
    Milk
    Bananas
    Whole milk yogurt (used as starter)
    Frozen Pizzas

I love that Aldi opened up in my town :)
  • JPotamus
    JPotamus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like the Brie and Muenster cheeses, Kerrygold butter when they have it, and their sparkling flavored water in cans.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    JPotamus wrote: »
    I like the Brie and Muenster cheeses, Kerrygold butter when they have it, and their sparkling flavored water in cans.

It is illegal for stores to sell KerryGold butter in my state. Something about their lack of pasteurizing the milk.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Eggs at ours have been RIDICULOUSLY low - 29 cents/doz. I get just about all our produce there: fresh spinach, carrots, mushrooms, asparagus, grape tomatoes, apples, strawberries, blackberries, cucumbers, squash... yum! Also like the fat free greek yogurt, the brie, sandwich meats and cheese, the granola bars, and the fiber one brownies. I wish their protein shakes came in vanilla :tongue: oh and pistachios!

And I like that it's a small store, plus their cashiers are super fast. I can get in and out in like ten minutes.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Ours had wheelchairs and walking frames last week.... They might have been good for leg day. :D
  • iaswimmer
    iaswimmer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Always buy their almonds--split them up in snack bags when I get home.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    krazy1sbk wrote: »
    I love their cherry tomatoes. I can eat almost the whole container in one sitting (but I don't).

Their heirloom cherry tomatoes make the BEST burst cherry tomato sauce for pasta.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pasta-with-15-minute-burst-cherry-tomato-sauce-56390060

Seriously, everyone should try this.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    I love their cherry tomatoes. I can eat almost the whole container in one sitting (but I don't).

Their heirloom cherry tomatoes make the BEST burst cherry tomato sauce for pasta.
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/pasta-with-15-minute-burst-cherry-tomato-sauce-56390060

That looks really good!
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Sugar free popsicles ...A great 20 calorie snack. They have grilled chicken bites that are good (in the frozen food section). Quick and easy to add to a salad. I also like their 0 calorie flavored water.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Aldi is a German based business, not US, so I'm surprised there are none in Canada.

My kids like their "fancy German chocolate."
  • sammyjo0218
    sammyjo0218 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The gluten free bagged pasta is awesome it's made of quinoa and brown rice. They have a great fruit and veggies selection too!
  • JPotamus
    JPotamus Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »

I'll never forget... one year I made a similar version of this using yellow grape tomatoes and basil I grew myself. It was the best! Truly the best sauce ever. I used the tomatoes, basil, olive oil, fresh parm, salt, pepper.

Makes me want to grow the tomatoes again this year. I think I will.
  • Juliet61875
    Juliet61875 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions!! I typically buy ground turkey, unsalted almonds, flax seeds, spinach, eggs, kefir or yogurt... anything whole, lean or easily digested.
  • nicholethompson24
    nicholethompson24 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do 95% of my grocery shopping here. It's so affordable and we can't tell the difference compared to other brands.
    Notable Products
    Fit & Active Flatbread = 90 calories and 9 grams of protein. Great for wraps and pizzas!
    Fit & Active 40 calorie whole wheat bread
    Fit & Active string cheese = 50 calories and 6 grams of protein.
    Cottage cheese
    Sour cream
    Spring Mix and Baby Spinach
    100 calorie guacamole packs
    Honey goat cheese log
    Fresh mozzarella
    25 calorie cheese wedges (like laughing cow)
    Frozen baby brussel sprouts for $.99
    Canned veggies, beans
    Milk, eggs
    Fruits and veggies. They always seem to be cheapest on bananas and cauliflower, plus their weekly produce specials.
    All meat has been good as well, both fresh and frozen.

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas all! :smiley: