Options
    Drink it every day one cup ☕️
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Minina567 wrote: »
    they are delicious! :( why are the best things in life forbidden

You said you log them and they fit in your cals so where do you get that they're forbidden?! :huh:

Clearly she means that they are so calorie-ladden and nutritionaly-deficient that it is difficult (and impossible for many) to fit them into a daily diet when one is trying to lose weight.

Everyone here loves to say "nothing is forbidden!!" on all these threads. We all know that if you fill up your calorie budget with junk, your nutritional requirements are going to suffer, and therefore people wind up eating over their calories. Weight loss success, long term, is absolutely about making permanent changes in food choices, daily activity and intentional exercise. Hitting up Starbucks for a daily 500+ White Chocolate Mocha is a really poor decision even when not trying to lose (unless one happens to have a very high calorie burn); it's a recipe for disaster when you are.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

You said you log them and they fit in your cals so where do you get that they're forbidden?! :huh:

Clearly she means that they are so calorie-ladden and nutritionaly-deficient that it is difficult (and impossible for many) to fit them into a daily diet when one is trying to lose weight.

Everyone here loves to say "nothing is forbidden!!" on all these threads. We all know that if you fill up your calorie budget with junk, your nutritional requirements are going to suffer, and therefore people wind up eating over their calories. Weight loss success, long term, is absolutely about making permanent changes in food choices, daily activity and intentional exercise. Hitting up Starbucks for a daily 500+ White Chocolate Mocha is a really poor decision even when not trying to lose (unless one happens to have a very high calorie burn); it's a recipe for disaster when you are.

OP isn't drinking 500 calorie white chocolate mochas. She is having light frappuchinos. A grande light coffee frappuchino is 110 calories. If someone enjoys that, I don't consider it a poor decision or a road to nutritional deficiency.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

She didn't say that..
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options

OP isn't drinking 500 calorie white chocolate mochas. She is having light frappuchinos. A grande light coffee frappuchino is 110 calories. If someone enjoys that, I don't consider it a poor decision or a road to nutritional deficiency.

She's not losing weight so something's got to go. It doesn't have to be that 110 calorie drink specifically, but she did ask about Starbucks drinks specifically. I know as a small person, a hundred here or there will stall me, flat-out. It's up to the OP whether she cuts back on calories from drinks or calories from somewhere else. :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

She's not losing weight so something's got to go. It doesn't have to be that 110 calorie drink specifically, but she did ask about Starbucks drinks specifically. I know as a small person, a hundred here or there will stall me, flat-out. It's up to the OP whether she cuts back on calories from drinks or calories from somewhere else. :)

I totally agree that if she isn't losing weight, she needs to adjust something. This would be an easy 110 calories to cut, but they don't *have* to be the calories she cuts in order to lose weight.

The calories are the issue, not the Starbucks specifically.

I was responding specifically to the statement that getting Starbucks, in and of itself, is a poor decision or will lead to deficiencies. Starbucks has some really high calorie drinks. They also have many options to have drinks that are much more reasonable.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I totally agree that if she isn't losing weight, she needs to adjust something. This would be an easy 110 calories to cut, but they don't *have* to be the calories she cuts in order to lose weight.

The calories are the issue, not the Starbucks specifically.

I was responding specifically to the statement that getting Starbucks, in and of itself, is a poor decision or will lead to deficiencies. Starbucks has some really high calorie drinks. They also have many options to have drinks that are much more reasonable.

Yes, this.

OP said she is in her calories despite getting the drinks. If she's in her calories and not losing, something is off, either her logging, her estimate of calories needed, or perhaps the drinks are being regularly made incorrectly (although that seems the least likely to me).

Figuring out what the deal is and fixing it is a good option, or, sure, just cutting calories. I'd probably cut the Starbucks since I like black coffee better anyway (so what I would do is rather irrelevant). But OP seems concerned that it might be the Starbucks unrelated to calories. She may have other things she'd rather cut if it's just calories. (Or maybe not, who knows.)
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    Pike always tastes burned to me, so I say that is "bad". Some of the other specialty and boutique roasts are OK.

Most of the other drinks are "bad" in that they obscure the coffee and make it into a dessert, not coffee.
    Pike always tastes burned to me, so I say that is "bad". Some of the other specialty and boutique roasts are OK.

Most of the other drinks are "bad" in that they obscure the coffee and make it into a dessert, not coffee.

Mmmmm coffee dessert
  • wanger21
    wanger21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If you're on "the last 10", you already know they call those the most stubborn pounds. For most people, a calorie deficit alone likely won't cut it - your body does respond to taking in less calories by using less calories also so what you think is a deficit may not be a deficit at all, hence why you have to work harder the more weight you lose.

So the short answer is the extra 30g or so of quick carbs from a grande skinny mocha frap probably doesn't help and may contribute to why you're not losing more weight. The coffee itself doesn't matter so drinking starbucks coffee vs intelligensia won't make a difference - to your body, coffee is coffee (although your taste buds might beg to differ).

But it's always more complicated than that. For instance:
    • Are you only paying attention to the lbs on the scale, or are you looking at body fat, ab definition, overall appearance and feeling? It could be the last 10 lbs doesn't matter, depending on how you're measuring
    • Are you exercising? When are you having your frap in relation to when you might use the energy to burn some fat? The type of exercise you do needs to match the way you're eating to meet your goals
    • What does the rest of your diet look like? Are you paying attention to your macro intake or just focusing on calories?

Hope that helps!
  • wanger21
    wanger21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Also, to be clear, by saying "what you think is a deficit may not be a deficit at all" is not me saying that you should consider lowering your caloric intake even more! What I mean is that focusing on calories won't necessarily get you the results you're looking for.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

She didn't say that..

I sort of thought it was a given, maybe she did too.
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    wanger21 wrote: »
    Also, to be clear, by saying "what you think is a deficit may not be a deficit at all" is not me saying that you should consider lowering your caloric intake even more! What I mean is that focusing on calories won't necessarily get you the results you're looking for.

If the intention is simply weight loss and has nothing to do with nutrition, why would focusing on calories not get that desired result? That is the main thing to focus on when the objective is plain and simple weight loss. More than likely, the OP is taking in more calories than she thinks she is.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    I think the first time an employee decided to make my drink however they wanted would be the last time I ordered.

IT's not always on purpose. In a busy/loud cafe, an oral order of "skinny" might not get passed down to the person who pumps diet vs. regular syrup, for example.

More to the point, restaurants base their calorie counts on some kind of mythical serving size, and studies have found that cooks and/or waitstaff actually often pile on up to 20% more than the dieticians and accountants have measured out as "what we sell." I know that the size of a Starbucks cup serves as an ultimate limit on portion size, but I'd bed that the cups are skimpily filled for the calorie measurements and are generously filled on a daily basis.
    I've also known baristas to have their own lingo. Maybe it's based on what they're used to customers saying when they order, or maybe someone trained them that way. So "light coffee frappuccino" "coffee frappuccino, light" "skinny coffee frappuccino" and "nonfat coffee frappuccino with no sugar added" might all be different drinks to them. Or whoever takes the order might use abbreviations that the barista filling the order is interpreting differently. It's probably worth confirming that what you think you're ordering is what you're really getting.

Fwiw, as a matter of courtesy I'd try to do this when the cafe isn't very busy, not when there's a line of people behind you! :D
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    As far as the actual coffee quality goes, I really like the Christmas blend! I wish they had that year round. I don't do the frapps--I don't like to drink my treats. I like treats that can be enjoyed slowly with a fork. For regular coffee, I use stevia or splenda and a splash of milk, and it's not a huge caloric indulgence. I might do a tall skinny latte as an occasional mini treat--it's about the same calories/nutrition as a glass of skim milk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    My old office used to break out Starbucks Christmas blend in the summer. We all wondered if they got a great deal on old coffee or just had stocked up way in advance.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

Mmmmm coffee dessert

95ixm8i2gogt.jpeg
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options

Mmmmm coffee dessert

95ixm8i2gogt.jpeg

Make that two. (raising hand) I'm in.
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I like Starbucks coffee, generally... I like a dark roast with a 'kick yo' behind outta da chair' whack to it... but when it takes more words to describe the drink you want than it does to get married, it's gettin' to be ree-got-dam-dik-yoo-lus...I love listening to people order theirs!

My Starbucks fix is "medium bold" (I let them use whatever word they use to mean 'medium'), and I put 2 Tbsp. of half and half in it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

This is from the Starbucks website:
    MOCHA Fappuchino: Tall 282 Grande 378 Venti 428

Way too many options to know exactly what the OP is drinking - only she knows for sure. I believe it's worth emphasizing on here, since she asked, that Starbucks drinks can be calorie bombs.
  • janejellyroll
    edited April 2017
    Options

This is from the Starbucks website:
    MOCHA Fappuchino: Tall 282 Grande 378 Venti 428

Way too many options to know exactly what the OP is drinking - only she knows for sure. I believe it's worth emphasizing on here, since she asked, that Starbucks drinks can be calorie bombs.

From the OP: " i love the moccha and coffee frappucchinos, i get them light."

You need to check out the calorie counts for the light frappucchinos, not the regular ones. There is a significant calorie difference.

OP told us what she was drinking -- light mocha frappuchinos and light coffee frappuchinos. Unless you think she is deliberately misleading us, the higher calorie count of other drinks are off-topic and not particularly helpful to the OP's situation. Some Starbucks drinks can indeed be calorie bombs. The two she specifically mentioned are not.

It's like if someone asked a question about grilled chicken and the conversation become about the calorie count of fried chicken.