Eating back exercise calories

What are your thoughts on eating back your exercise calories? I have heard some eat back half or none of them…

Right now I am more towards eating back one quarter. I need to fuel my extra workouts but still have 20 pounds to lose.

Thanks!!

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    I think they taste yummier than normal calories.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    sounds very reasonable. if you find lacking energy in your workouts, you have room to add a few more.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I posted on your other thread, but I want to repeat the advice here for anyone who might be reading the thread with the same question:

I eat almost all of mine back because I'm confident that my numbers are tweaked correctly. If you're using MFP as designed, they're meant to be eaten, with the caveat that some forms of measuring activity output will overestimate calories burned.

This might be a useful post to check out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10503681/exercise-calories-do-i-eat-these-a-video-explanation/p1
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    MFP is set up for you to eat 100% of your exercise calories.

Many people eat only a portion because they believe that the exercise calories are inflated, but for me they are close to spot-on.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I always eat back exercise cals, they taste the best
  • TavistockToad
    Jruzer wrote: »
    MFP is set up for you to eat 100% of your exercise calories.

Many people eat only a portion because they believe that the exercise calories are inflated, but for me they are close to spot-on.

For me too.
  • T0M_K
    but how do you know your exercise calories are "spot on". most means of calculating are less that pure scientific proof. Just hard to imagine anyone can truly know what they are burning.

I guess i have something to learn here. enlighten please. Thanks
  • TavistockToad
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    but how do you know your exercise calories are "spot on". most means of calculating are less that pure scientific proof. Just hard to imagine anyone can truly know what they are burning.

Because if you're eating back exercise cals and still losing weight at the rate you chose when you set up your calorie goal it means the numbers are accurate(ish)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    edited April 2017

I use a power meter. My bike calories will never be off by more than 5 % and the way I have mine calculated puts me squarely in the middle of that range. The explanation for all of this is long winded and widely available online; it's also been independently verified by many universities and research institutions.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

They don't have to be spot on...they have to be accurate enough, and rate of loss data will tell you that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

You monitor your results over time. I eat back 100% of my exercise calories and I maintain my weight as expected. I've been doing this for a year and a half. That's an excellent indicator that my calorie burn estimates are accurate.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2017
    IMO it depends on how accurate you think your exercise calories are, how accurate you are with food logging... As well as what your goals are. If training for example, not eating some back could harm your training progress.
  • T0M_K
    gotcha. that all makes sense. Thanks
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member

You monitor your results over time. I eat back 100% of my exercise calories and I maintain my weight as expected. I've been doing this for a year and a half. That's an excellent indicator that my calorie burn estimates are accurate.

Because if you're eating back exercise cals and still losing weight at the rate you chose when you set up your calorie goal it means the numbers are accurate(ish)

Yeah, what they said.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    IMO it depends on how accurate you think your exercise calories are, how accurate you are with food logging... As well as what your goals are. If training for example, not eating some back could harm your training progress.

Yes...and more like to have recovery issues and greater injury risk...many if not most over-train injuries aren't actually a matter of over-training but rather underfeeding.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    In addition to the comments above - it's important to practice the skill before you get to maintenance at goal weight when you will have to account for what is a totally legitimate calorie need for your body.
    They aren't extra calories or bonus calories.