Frozen "Healthy Meals"

Options
MsDavis99
MsDavis99 Posts: 101 Member
edited April 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So are the frozen Healthy meals like "Healthy Choice" actually healthy for you? I mean they are 5 for 10 bucks and taste really good.

What are some meals I can get that are healthy, things I can pack for lunch?

Yes I know I can meal prep and all that but out side of meal prepping. :)

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    They're a little salty for me. That's pretty common for frozen foods, though. I find some of them pretty good but I'm just so thirsty the rest of the day that it doesn't seem worth it. Some are better than others on that front.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I have either a Lean Cuisine or a Smart Ones meal for lunch every day during the week. :)
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I try to get the ones that are vegetable-heavy but I don't avoid them otherwise.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I don't usually buy frozen meals, but I do buy Gardein. I find it's great, so long as I don't use the sauce. (The sauce is wonderful, but the reheated leftovers are not. I do a lot better either buying the fish filets, which don't come in sauce, or their other products just baking or sauteeing them plain and adding them to stir-fries, wraps, etc.)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have them once or twice a week. I typically bring an extra veggie because there just aren't enough of veggies in most of them. Love HC Crustless Chicken Pot Pie & HC Red Pepper Chicken Alfredo

Broth based soups are good. Campbell's Healthy Request are a little lower in sodium (no medical issues for me).

Tuna pouches - these come in flavors. There are also tuna salad kits with little crackers.

Cottage cheese comes in single packs. Nice to pack with a pineapple (or peach) snack cup. Then add some veggies and maybe a few whole grain crackers.
  • sammyjo0218
    sammyjo0218 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    They can be handy when you're short on time but it's not worth it to me. Lean cuisine has good selections even those aren't the greatest. It's better cooking big portions at once and separate to freeze. Just focus on the nutrition labels as they can be loaded with sodium and sugars. Packing your own salads can be a great choice you can get creative with dressings and toppings, bag steamed microwave veggies, cooking pasta I love the ones made of brown rice and quinoa they don't take much time, making sandwich wraps or pitas.. then for sides yogurt and fruits are great. just plan ahead in advanced what you want to make for work.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Healthy Choice Honey Glazed Turkey and Potatoes for lunch today...so freaking yummy!

220 calories
    2g fat
    500 mg sodium (21% of daily)
    780mg potassium - that's good. Need more of that!
    37g carbs
    14g protein

Plus, quick and easy to grab if I don't have anything else prepped for lunch.
  • MsDavis99
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    I have them once or twice a week. I typically bring an extra veggie because there just aren't enough of veggies in most of them. Love HC Crustless Chicken Pot Pie & HC Red Pepper Chicken Alfredo

Broth based soups are good. Campbell's Healthy Request are a little lower in sodium (no medical issues for me).

Tuna pouches - these come in flavors. There are also tuna salad kits with little crackers.

Cottage cheese comes in single packs. Nice to pack with a pineapple (or peach) snack cup. Then add some veggies and maybe a few whole grain crackers.

I forgot about the tuna pouches, those are great ideas thank you!
  • MsDavis99
    Options
    Healthy Choice Honey Glazed Turkey and Potatoes for lunch today...so freaking yummy!

220 calories
    2g fat
    500 mg sodium (21% of daily)
    780mg potassium - that's good. Need more of that!
    37g carbs
    14g protein

Plus, quick and easy to grab if I don't have anything else prepped for lunch.

I had the 4 cheese Ravioli and chicken marinara today and it was sooooo good
  • Krby13
    Krby13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    They can be handy when you're short on time but it's not worth it to me. Lean cuisine has good selections even those aren't the greatest. It's better cooking big portions at once and separate to freeze. Just focus on the nutrition labels as they can be loaded with sodium and sugars. Packing your own salads can be a great choice you can get creative with dressings and toppings, bag steamed microwave veggies, cooking pasta I love the ones made of brown rice and quinoa they don't take much time, making sandwich wraps or pitas.. then for sides yogurt and fruits are great. just plan ahead in advanced what you want to make for work.

I agree with all of this. I find frozen meals to just taste too fake to me and lack flavor. I always find myself adding salt and pepper to try to salvage the meal when I do try to eat one. I'd much rather make my own lunch of stuff I know I like. It's worth the effort to me.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Smart Ones were my go-to's for quick, I-don't-have-time-to-pack-something but lately the sodium content has been going up and variety is going down (well, for the ones that get sold for 5 for 10$--I got 6 for $8 this weekend) and I've found when Lean Cuisine Marketplace meals are on sale, I like them better. They have more variety. Husband disagrees as he doesn't like fish or 'weird' dishes (like putting chicken in an apple-cranberry reduction...yum!) so we tend to keep both around. But we also freeze leftovers, so we have some home-made versions which are yummier and have a lot less sodium.

I do like Amy's frozen dinners, but they are pricey...
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Love Atkins. I keep them in the freezer as "just in case" meals when I'm short on time, probably eat them once a month. I like the teryaki beef stir fry, beef Merlot, meatloaf and mushrooms, and sesame chicken
  • cozytimes
    cozytimes Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    amy's frozen meals are my favorite! especially the pesto tortellini... i'm planning on trying more of the meals :)
  • Krby13
    Krby13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Probably the only frozen lunch style meal that I will eat is the Lean Cuisine chicken ranch club flatbread. It cooks up really well and taste like normal food and only 370 calories
  • stelly76
    stelly76 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    They're tasty and usually would fill me up if I also had a piece of fruit with it. I used to eat them almost every day for lunch (Healthy Choice or Smart Ones), but when I stopped, I lost 2 lbs in one week. Too much sodium!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I keep some on hand for days when I don't have leftovers to bring for lunch. My favorite brands:

Healthy Choice Steamers
    Weight Watchers Smart Made (newer than the Smart Ones - they have some interesting combinations and less preservatives)
    Stouffer's Fit Kitchen - tend to be a little more filling, higher protein
    Evol - more expensive but some interesting combinations - I think these are the best tasting.

I also sometimes find them not so filling, so I often bring extra precooked sliced chicken breast or a single serving frozen vegetable pack, or get a salad from the work cafeteria.

You asked if they can be healthy for you - unless you have a specific reason to restrict sodium (and even some of these are not particularly high in sodium) - I don't think they are unhealthy. I also think canned soup is a great quick back up for me for work lunches, I usually keep one and a clean tupperware in my desk drawer in my office.
    Otherwise I mostly bring leftovers from dinner the night before, I always try to grill an extra piece of chicken or make some extra veggies. I also like the Birdseye Protein Blends (mix of grains, beans, and veggies) in the freezer section and just throw some chicken or shrimp in with those.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    cozytimes wrote: »
    amy's frozen meals are my favorite! especially the pesto tortellini... i'm planning on trying more of the meals :)

I really like the Amy's frozen meals - they are tasty! Bit light on protein, and definitely pricey. They are the best-tasting frozen meals I've ever had though. The broccoli & cheddar bowl is my fave :yum:
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I like Lean Cuisine from time to time- the Vermont Cheddar Mac and Cheese is one of my favorites. I do this when I want to eat some comfort food without overindulging.

Has anyone tried the Evol stuff? I haven't yet but I have heard some good things.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Lean cuisine spinach artichoke ravioli. omg. yum.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I like Lean Cuisine from time to time- the Vermont Cheddar Mac and Cheese is one of my favorites. I do this when I want to eat some comfort food without overindulging.

Has anyone tried the Evol stuff? I haven't yet but I have heard some good things.

Yes, I like Evol. They are a little more expensive, but the choices are a little different and I think they are tasty. Chipotle Chicken Mac n Cheese is really good, as is the Butternut Squash Ravioli.