Can Eating Oatmeal Help You Lose Weight?

Options
I've read somewhere that it can stop weightloss?

Replies

• Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Eating in a caloric deficit is what causes weight loss. Unless you have a medical condition no foods are off limits.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If it helps you stay in a calorie deficit, then yes. For me, a diabetic, oatmeal makes me ravenous within an hour after eating so it's harder to stay in deficir.
  • seximama2017
    seximama2017 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It does health lower bad cholesterol <3
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

Only if you use it to eat yourself out of a calorie deficit. If you like oatmeal, eat oatmeal in appropriate portions to your diet. If you don't like it, or it affects you negatively in some way, don't eat it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

I've lost weight while eating oatmeal and lost it without eating oatmeal. It's just a food. It won't help or hinder weight loss directly. Wherever you read that, I'd stop listening to weight loss tips from that site.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    It neither helps you (generic you) lose weight nor stops weight loss. It adds the calories it adds, so all else equal you will lose (or not) the same weight eating 140 calories of oatmeal or 140 calories of eggs as part of breakfast.

However, for individuals, including maybe you, oats could make you more or less satisfied after breakfast, more or less likely to be hungry sooner or to overeat. For nutrition, it depends on what you'd otherwise eat.

I lost weight eating oatmeal sometimes but mostly eating other things. During one week when I wasn't feeling well I ate oats for all meals for 2 days, because it was all I wanted to eat (with berries and some protein powder). I lost weight that week, if memory serves.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

No, I eat a bowl every morning and have been losing steadily. It is a nice filling way to start your day and gives you plenty of fiber. Stay away from the packets, though. They have added stuff to them. Get Old fashioned oats. 40 grams of oats, 1 cup water, microwave for 2 minutes and sprinkle in 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon. YUMMY!
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I eat old-fashioned oatmeal just about every day, and it hasn't stopped me from losing weight. I think eating higher fiber, less-refined foods generally helps people feel fuller longer, so it might help you eat less. I usually eat it along with some kind of protein and that fills me up. It's also easy to flavor with sweeteners and spices, for few or no extra calories.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It's helped me lose weight. Have a bowl most weekdays and I've lost weight. All due to the oatmeal (and tracking calories and eating in a deficit).

:)