How often should I refeed?

Options
halimaiqbal00
halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
edited April 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Should I be re-feeding even if I'm not eating low carb? I'm averaging 190c/60f/130 protein a day. I'm around goal weight (140 pounds, 5' 7 female) and am working on losing body fat while retaining muscle. Currently losing on 1750 cals.

How often should I schedule in a refeed and am I meant to go over in calories during a refeed?

Replies

• ent3rsandman
    ent3rsandman Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I would love to know this too. I've heard that it extends beyond carbs and has something to do with hormones, but I can never seem to find any explanations that don't sound like bro-science. :/
  • edwill3456
    edwill3456 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    At least once every week or two.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    When I was actively losing weight, I took a diet break every 16 weeks.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I know absolutely nothing about it but my trainer, who's bodybuilder, refeeds every 2 weeks if that helps.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    If you are really lean you should refeed once every 7-14 days but the more you have to lose, the less frequently you need to refeed.

Personally, I recommend taking a diet break every 12-16 weeks to reverse any metabolic adaptations and reset hormone levels.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I don't think I've ever done a planned refeed.. but I typically have a little extra calories (mostly carbs) on the weekends sometimes.. usually if I am in a long cut (4+ months). If you are having one every week, just be sure to track it and not let it cancel out your deficit.