Entering calories burned accurately

Hey guys, I'm wondering whether or not to add calories burned during strength training session in the diary log ?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Why precisely are you wondering?
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member
    I actually just started doing that about 2 weeks ago, prior I would just put in the reps and exercises I did through the strength thing. Idk if it's more accurate now or if it was more accurate before without any calories
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    You don't actually burn a lot of calories at strength training. It amounts to about 100/hr more or less, depending on how much you weigh. That's why MFP doesn't add any when you record it. That section is just for tracking progress, really.
  • ldwatene
    ldwatene Posts: 150 Member
    edited April 2017
    ccsernica wrote: »
    You don't actually burn a lot of calories at strength training. It amounts to about 100/hr more or less, depending on how much you weigh. That's why MFP doesn't add any when you record it. That section is just for tracking progress, really.

Curious. Is that true for high rep / short rest period type weight training?
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited April 2017
    ldwatene wrote: »

Curious. Is that true for high rep / short rest period type weight training?

As far as I know, yes. But I'm not an expert, so I could be wrong about specific approaches.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Hey guys, I'm wondering whether or not to add calories burned during strength training session in the diary log ?

You won't get many, but you can if you want
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    @ccsernica
    Partially true.
    Only the CV section of the diary has the calorie function - the strength section is purely a diary.
    Log strength training duration under the cardio section for a rough estimate based on weight and METS.

Mine comes to about 240/hr. Probably an underestimate (I lift a relatively high amount of weight in an hour) but it's fine as an estimate for something that can't be measured.
    The actual calorie burn is in relation to the weight shifted so open to a lot of variation between people and workout styles.

@ldwatene
    High rep/short rest would be better logged as circuit training.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    I've always logged it. It's been years and it hasn't adversely affected my progress or maintenance. It's not a huge number of calories, but it's the difference of an extra little high-protein snack for me, and I WANT that! ;)
  • nichell88
    nichell88 Posts: 364 Member

In the cardio section, there's an option for strength training wherein you can put in the minutes and it calculates calories