Should I eat chocolate if it takes up 340 of my calories?

Options
I will usually eat half a chocolate bar that is 160-170 calories and then eat the other half.
Should I just eat only half of it?

Replies

• noorandjenna1
    noorandjenna1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It makes me full. But it does crowd out other foods
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I will usually eat half a chocolate bar that is 160-170 calories and then eat the other half.
    Should I just eat only half of it?

It depends on what your total calorie allowance is per day. 340 out of 1300 is a lot different to 340 out of 2200.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What time is it at your location? Here it's nearly 11 p.m. and the question would be answered in the affirmative if it was asked by me of myself. In fact, the last thing I ate was a couple of chocolate-peanut clusters because I had the calories available and I was perfectly willing that other things be crowded out by my candy treat.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    You could change it to eating 1/4th and 1/4th, then save the other full half for the next day. Smaller portions of chocolate.

I've taken up nomming on sugar-free chocolate flavored candies I got from the dollar store... xD Small, but last me a bit (if I don't crunch them). 4 for 45 cal.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    That's about the calories i have for dessert most nights.
  • noorandjenna1
    noorandjenna1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I also save room for a pint of halo top.
    All this on 1300 calories
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I wish 340 calories of chocolate kept me full.

As long as you're meeting your protein goal and get enough vitamins and nutrients, I don't see the problem though (which is probably not the case at all if you eat 700 calories of ice cream and chocolate on 1300 calories).
  • DJ_Skywalker
    DJ_Skywalker Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Eat all the chocolate ... don't ask questions :p
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    You could change it to eating 1/4th and 1/4th, then save the other full half for the next day. Smaller portions of chocolate.

This is basically what I do - lately I've been having 2 fun-size bags of peanut M&Ms daily with each bag eaten at 2 different times (after lunch & after dinner usually). I make sure each piece in the bag is eaten slowly & enjoyed. Chocolate twice a day for only like 190 calories and I'm completely satisfied.

OP, you mentioned that the larger amount of chocolate crowds out other foods so maybe you could rethink some strategies to make sure you're getting proper nutrition but enjoying your treats too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Erfw7471 wrote: »
    PixelPuff wrote: »

This is basically what I do - lately I've been having 2 fun-size bags of peanut M&Ms daily with each bag eaten at 2 different times (after lunch & after dinner usually). I make sure each piece in the bag is eaten slowly & enjoyed. Chocolate twice a day for only like 190 calories and I'm completely satisfied.

OP, you mentioned that the larger amount of chocolate crowds out other foods so maybe you could rethink some strategies to make sure you're getting proper nutrition but enjoying your treats too.

Yep - I do the fun-size bags or individually wrapped Ghiradelli squares. No way I could fit in 340 calories in chocolate.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want, people on an online forum can't live your life for you.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    With my 1200 calorie goal (I'm a shortie, only 5'), I couldn't do that every day. I'd probably cut it in half and eat the other half the next day. You do you! Only you know what you want and what fits into your calorie count while still in a deficit.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I also save room for a pint of halo top.
    All this on 1300 calories

Every day?

Do you think that overall, not individual components, your diet is healthy and nutritious?
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    What Vintage Feline said.

Occasionally, why not. Everyday- probably not unless it fits in your calories and macros (you probably wouldn't want to regularly run out of calories before remotely coming close to meeting protein and fiber requirements). If it does fit all of the above - then sure-why not.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    With my 1200 calorie goal (I'm a shortie, only 5'), I couldn't do that every day. I'd probably cut it in half and eat the other half the next day. You do you! Only you know what you want and what fits into your calorie count while still in a deficit.

Same here. For me, A whole candy bar is generally a treat reserved for after a long run.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    As long as you're meeting your protein goal and get enough vitamins and nutrients, I don't see the problem though (which is probably not the case at all if you eat 700 calories of ice cream and chocolate on 1300 calories).

This. But it also depends whether it's just a one day thing or regularly.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you can eat it and still get enough protein and stay within your calorie goal and other nutrition goals and not then complain about not feeling full or feeling hungry, then yes. Otherwise, no.