Any good advice or tips for a frequent business traveler?

Options
2»

Replies

• heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Stay in a hotel with a good gym. Eat the same food all the time to keep the calorie counts approximately the same. You really can't go wrong with a salad with say chicken or steak on it.

You'd be surprised how many calories there can be in a restaurant chicken salad.

Applebee's Crispy Chicken & Cornbread Salad, for example comes in at a staggering 1400 calories, which you can reduce 1090 by getting the Grilled Chicken & Cornbread Salad. TGI Fridays lists their Pecan-Crusted Chicken Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette at 1200 calories. The lunch portion is 670.

If you want a low calorie salad at a restaurant, it's going to be a side salad with no cheese and no dressing. Advising someone to just think the chicken salad at a restaurant is a safely low calorie meal is going to have them back on here wondering why in six months they've only lost five pounds, if that.
    Lol, if the CALORIES are in front of you, why would you exceed them? Not saying to be not smart to double check, just giving an example. Of course then you choose something that's within your calorie range, but a McDonald's grilled chicken salad with ranch dressing is under 500 calories.

Most non-chain restaurants don't publish the nutrition information for their menus, and your advice could easily lead to someone thinking a salad with chicken is always going to be a lower calorie option. That is not the case.

Assumptions like that lead to people not losing weight as expected, or even gaining it, because they're eating a lot more than they think they are. Then they come back here and ask why they're not losing weight, when they've followed the given advice to just have the salad with chicken.
    A person NOT concerned with their weight loss would use justification for ANYTHING. I see it all the time. People make claims of eating "healthy" all the time and don't lose weight. The point being is that it's still the responsibility of the member to confirm. Lol, if I told someone to do squats for leg strength, what are you gonna say? That they need to make sure they have good knees first? Lol, it's a BASIS for advice. People still need to confirm that it works for them. ;)

Do you expect your clients to question your advice when you're giving them training plans?

Your advice, as you have stated it, is misleading. Since you compose every post with a huge signature about your qualifications, it looks like you're giving an authoritative answer that people should just trust, but that advice if taken directly could result in no weight loss or even weight gain.

So when that person comes back in six months and says they've lost only five pounds, or worse, gained more weight, what would you tell them? That they shouldn't have taken your advice so matter of fact and instead second guessed everything themselves? If so, why are you even bothering to give advice here?
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Business dinners at a good restaurant I'll gravitate to grilled fish with vegetables and/or salad. If I'm not out on a business dinner I almost always eat at a salad bar, often from a grocery store. I also pay a lot of attention to breakfast and lunch. Instead of the hotel breakfast scrambled eggs and bacon, I'll go for plain oatmeal with fresh fruit and cinnamon. If I'm in the same place for a few days I'll pack a Nutribullet and some whey powder, flax, etc. and pick up some fruit, unsweetened almond milk at a store and make my own smoothies in the hotel. And I always pack good quality protein bars and an apple for travel so I don't have to resort to airport food, or during the day instead of hitting a vending machine for junk. For working out, I also bring along TRX training straps that you can hook up to the hotel room door.
  • JustRobby1
    JustRobby1 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    cbl40 wrote: »
    I am normally gone for 3 days at a time. So out of a 4 week month, I am gone once every work week. I sometimes do multiple city trips where I am gone for 6-9 days. My last trip was an example of this. I was gone 4 days in the Boston/New England area, and then flew to Raleigh for 3 days afterwards. The rationale being that I can knock everything out in one trip, but I really hate being gone this long if I can avoid it.

I live in the Boston area. Lots of healthy eating options. Try Legal Seafoods or other Legal type restaurant and you can get broiled fish with healthy sides. Research before you go...you'll find great options that are still enjoyable and healthy.

Funny you should mention it, but I normally stay at the Hyatt in Braintree, and there is a legal seafood attached to the hotel. :)
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I used to travel more but still do quite a bit. I am in an industry that likes to drink. Rather than explain my preferences, I have just approached bartenders/waiters and told them to give me soda water in a cocktail glass and make it look like a cocktail. No cal and I don't have to deal with the "why aren't you drinking?" Questions.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I hate work travel. It's not even the food and drink so much as the total disruption of a normal routine. My top 2 tips are get up crazy early and go to the gym. And don't let anyone pressure you to drink. I say "I don't drink during the work week" which is 100% true, and I've never once has a follow question or criticism. Also, the hotel breakfast buffets are crap. When I'm road tripping I bring my own food, when flying, I get the protein bento box from Starbucks and black coffee.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I struggle with this as well. Networking, traveling, and diets are hard! Eating out for all of your meals sucks when you are calorie counting. You just never know with restaurants. Plus, it is so hard to say no to the free alcohol and food.

I admire all the people who say they can stick to it without straying while traveling for work. I have no issues at home. Even business lunches are no big thing. I am rested and not tempted with eating out every meal.

Traveling is another issue. The hotel gym only goes so far...
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    3-4 times a month isn't "frequent". That averages out as less than 1 day per week. Treat this day as a "cheat" day and moderate the other 6 days that week to ensure you are in a calorie deficit.

Also you could exercise some self control and say no. It is not unprofessional to care about your health.

LOVE THIS!!!...I used to be of that mindset...not anymore