Sore Thighs after cycling for a couple of hours

Options
I do love cycling but I can't really avoid some injuries my thigh sored up when I do long hours of cycling. Is it normal because my thighs and knees are toning up? Or otherwise whats the main causes of it?

Replies

• 35dollars
    35dollars Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    When you say they get sore, is this during the cycling or in the day or 2 after? If it's the latter, DOMS (delayed-onset muscle soreness) is very common if you've pushed yourself beyond your normal limits (so, if you were a 30 minute cyclist and suddenly jumped to 2 hours). If it's during the ride, is it fatigue you are feeling or actual pain in the muscles?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    1. Is your bicycle set up correctly for you?
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    35dollars wrote: »
    When you say they get sore, is this during the cycling or in the day or 2 after? If it's the latter, DOMS (delayed-onset muscle soreness) is very common if you've pushed yourself beyond your normal limits (so, if you were a 30 minute cyclist and suddenly jumped to 2 hours). If it's during the ride, is it fatigue you are feeling or actual pain in the muscles?
    They're sore after I finish cycling. I'm an 80-100 minutes averaging cycling perday.

• ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It is setup correctly for me.
  • Machka9
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    It is setup correctly for me.

If you are absolutely sure about that then ...

What is your cadence?
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It's hard to know what you are describing as sore. My thought would be that you are riding in too high of gear. Another thought is that you aren't consuming enough electrolytes while you are riding.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    You use 2 different terms - injures and sore.

Injuries is a problem. Sore is probably pretty normal.

I rode this morning, and I'm sore/tight now because of it.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I can ride for a couple of hours, pushing hard and be sore and exhausted - like after a hard race. And stay sore for a couple of days.

I can do exactly the same ride 3 or 4 mph slower and feel fine, but like I did something and have no soreness...maybe just a feeling of muscle use for a day or so after.

Maybe slow your pace a bit and see if that helps. There are other good suggestions above as well.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    If you're sore, then you're unconditioned for rides that long.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Machka9
    Options
    I do love cycling but I can't really avoid some injuries my thigh sored up when I do long hours of cycling. Is it normal because my thighs and knees are toning up? Or otherwise whats the main causes of it?

Are your knees sore?
  • joshuak30
    joshuak30 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a good workout.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

A higher training load than you're used to and able to cope with. If you want it to go away, do shorter rides, or the same ones at a lower intensity.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just had a good, productive ride.