How long for the weight loss to be visible?

2»

Replies

• leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    leggup wrote: »
    If you're short, sooner. If you're tall, longer. A 5 lb loss on me looks like nothin. On a shorter friend, it could be a full dress size.

Get a tape measure, the kind that auto-restricts, and start taking some measurements. You might not see the changes because you see yourself every day ;)

I'm only 5 foot 5 so not that tall.

I have a measuring tape for fabric since I'm a knitter. Would that work?

Yes. There are loads of sites/videos online on "how to measure your weight loss with a tape measure" including some good places and tricks like don't tighten it too much.
  • Jerrman29
    Jerrman29 Posts: 24 Member
    I don't worry about the scale to much. I usually notice right away as I burn fat in my face neck and arms. But when I lose weight I usually drop 8 to 10 pounds right away then stay the same for a week or 2.Then start burning again. I've been at it now for almost 1 month and can't tell I've lost on my stomach my looking, but my pants are definitely fitting a little more loosely now.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Exercise is good to help you see changes, lift some weights if you can, I see the most changes when I am lifting weights. Of course work around the ACL, you don't want to do anything that is going to affect that.

I'm not a gym person. It's intimidating and I feel super embarrassed trying to exercise in front of other humans. So I tend to do stuff that I can do w/o stepping foot in a gym.

I work out at home. With dumbbells. I haven't been in a gym since I bought my house. Can't afford it.

• allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Give.it.some.more.pounds.lost...I.was.similar.to.your.loss...40lbs.@.5'7...no.one,..not.even.me...noticed.till
    about.the.20lb.loss.....at.20lbs,..people.would.say."oh.you.lost.a.few.pounds...lol"...
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Exercise is good to help you see changes, lift some weights if you can, I see the most changes when I am lifting weights. Of course work around the ACL, you don't want to do anything that is going to affect that.

I'm not a gym person. It's intimidating and I feel super embarrassed trying to exercise in front of other humans. So I tend to do stuff that I can do w/o stepping foot in a gym.

I work out at home. With dumbbells. I haven't been in a gym since I bought my house. Can't afford it.

I don't have a lot of room so the less stuff I have to acquire for exercise, the better. (Basically, all of our stuff is in one room since we live with family. I'm not trying to add to our clutter.)
  • Morganbennett1
    Morganbennett1 Posts: 106 Member
    It really depends on where you are losing the weight, generally where you are heaviest is the last place to slim down. I didn't start to notice any change until I lost 20lbs, then I had to buy new bras, then I started to notice my shirts and jeans were baggier than before. Other people didn't start to say anything until I was down 30lbs. It takes time. I would give it another month or so.
  • EmPersson
    EmPersson Posts: 768 Member
    I took pics - but in my yoga clothes. You could do that, too. No need to strip down. That way you can also feel comfortable sharing the before and after pics with friends or as profile pic here or something.

Slow walking because of an ACL injury has got to be so hard! I'm trying to drop 30, and I'm mostly doing lunch walks during work, plus any little things I can do at home (yoga, rebound trampoline, treadmill). It's not going to drop quickly, which is unfortunate. I just started the Slim Fast diet to help drop quicker. Weight-wise, it's helping, but I can't tell a difference yet. I'm still in the first week, though. :smile:

Anyway, take pics (in clothes)! You'll see the difference! I took my pics about a month and a half ago, but I can already see a difference in my arms!
  • cheverejones
    cheverejones Posts: 6 Member
    Ah I can totally relate! Keep chipping away, we got this :)
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    You shouldn't shoot down the suggestions these people are giving you so quickly.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    You shouldn't shoot down the suggestions these people are giving you so quickly.

I'm just trying to work within my limits is all. I know exactly how much room I have (very little) and what works with my busted knee. That's all.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    You see yourself every day. Most likely you will be the last person to notice your weight loss.
  • evivahealth
    evivahealth Posts: 567 Member
    edited April 2017
    I haven't done any pics since I'm not a fan of my body without lots of clothes to hide the fat. (Also the same reason I won't wear a bikini, too fat.) I guess I was hoping to see some actual visible progress other then on the scale.

@KurumiSophia

I was very much the same when I first started out. I remember standing in my lounge room burning with shame and anger and disappointment with how heavy I had become. I lifted up my shirt and my friend took photos of me and I cried and it was extremely painful emotionally. BUT! I remember thinking at the time "these will be my 'before' photos" and they have been such a huge motivation for me and still are. Those negative emotions you feel when you see your body can be turned into something really productive and positive. I know it's hard but I still definitely recommend taking photos and measurements to track your progress.
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    edited April 2017
    As someone above said, it's different for everyone. I regret not taking enough pictures through my weight loss but it took me losing about 10Ibs before I noticed.
  • NalaBellyFIT
    NalaBellyFIT Posts: 46 Member
    I'm 5'7 and had 55 to lose. I'm down 36 and sometimes it's hard for me to see the changes in my own body, although some weeks i will feel like I've lost a lot in a particular area (at first it was my face, then shoulders, and now my legs look so slim -- wish my midsection would catch up!). Those very close to me started noticing around 15lbs. It took until 25-30 lbs for everyone else to start noticing (about 15% of my initial weight). Remember, just because people don't comment, doesn't mean they're not noticing!