How do you handle stress and keep it from derailing success?

Options
I got very serious about MFP and getting to a healthy weight last Aug when I hit an all time high of 218lbs. Rolling in to December, I was doing pretty well - had lost 28lbs and felt confident about losing the remaining 50lbs. Then all heck broke loose - I had an event in December that completely derailed my success. I struggled through the holidays and managed to only gain 5lbs. January hit and I was set to get back on track and work became a major stressor - my boss quit 2 days before the beginning of the semester and dumped three new courses on me to teach, in addition to my regular work load. I found myself trying to stay afloat, week to week, working late and not exercising much at all. The semester finally ended and my daughter had shoulder surgery and a week later, a seemingly healthy 20yr old had 3 blood clots. If that was not enough stress, my beloved chocolate lab died 2 days after that.

In all, I managed to only gain back 6lbs surprisingly - however, I am not at my goal weight that I had planned to be at this summer. I am trying to get back on track and I am feeling good (I just had 3 weeks off) but I go back to work in a little over a week and know the stress will start all over again. I know the stress cannot be eliminated, but I have to figure out a way to work through it and still meet my weight goals. I know exercise can help a lot with stress - its just trying to fit it in. My hubby brought home a chocolate lab puppy a few weeks ago - she is a sweet heart, but requires a lot of my time (which I do not mind giving). She is still too little to walk far distances - I was used to walking my lab 2 to 3 miles a day. Therefore, I cannot rely on walking with her just yet.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how you handle stress and still stay on track with your diets! Thank you!!

Replies

• amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Honestly, when im stressed, I run. I hate running. But it is the only thing that clears my mind and makes me feel better. As for diet--I just look at an old picture of myself and remind myself what i dont want to go back to and why
  • ReginaM49
    ReginaM49 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have very similar issues with stress and know that it is my number one obstacle to a healthy weight. I know that exercise seems to help more than anything else for me... but I also am overwhelmed at work and work long hours. The only thing I want to do is go home, have a couple glasses of wine, eat and watch some mind numbing tv. I think we have to make ourselves and our weight loss journey a priority. I know its easier said than done, but keep trying and keep yourself mentally aware that this is for us and we are worth it. Add me as a friend and we can support each other on those tough days. :-)