Body Fat %...demoralising

Options
So, I'd been feeling fairly pleased with myself lately.
Im not overly strict on eating clean and work stress causes me to treat myself perhaps more than I should do- my diary is open and you will see cheese, guacamole, sandwich for lunch etc. but I felt like I was making enough positive choices to be making progress- switched to wholegrain and wholemeal a while back, cut out any added salt and sugar to my meals.

I boot camp 2-3 times a week and kettlebell once a week and noticed gains in strength. Do a mix of 30mins cardio, 30mins weights in the gym 2-3 times a week.

Weighed myself today to see I'm 2kg heavier than I was on Monday. And, my other half has bought some quite expensive body fat % scales and I'm 28.9% consisting of lard ,which puts me as obese.

Height: 5ft5in,
Weight: 64.2 kg (as of today)
Waist: 30in
UK dress size: 10 on top, 12 on bottom. I'll try and upload a pic to my profile asap.

Anyone else had no success with moderately healthy eating?
I don't have time to exercise more so has it got to the point where I just have to live a life of vegetables and chicken?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Body fat scales are notorious. Can be wrong by a lot. If your entries are complete and accurate, you're eating well. Exercising is good. Weight isn't obviously bad. Keep on going the way you are imo.
  • Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    You look great! I am 4 or 5 lbs less than you (same height) and you look 10 times better. Just keep working at it.
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Most body fat scales are accurate IF you weigh at the right times & in the right way. We have scales we use for a weight loss group & the results/measurements are consistent, we don't have a lot of significant differences from week to week. BUT to make the reading as accurate as possible you should...

1. No Exercise 12 hours before weighing (workouts can dehydrate you which can affect the reading).
    2. No Eating/Drinking 4 hours before weighing in (digestion requires fluids which can affect readings).
    3. Drink water & hydrate like crazy up to that 4 hour cut off.
    4. Weigh BEFORE taking a shower, as even damp feet can affect the reading.

Obviously, w/these guidelines, you'd probably want to weigh in at night, just before bed. A friend of mine is super athletic, but her readings are always at 21.5%, but it's because she only weighs in around her workout times. If she followed these guidelines, I'm guessing her actual body fat percentage would probably be around 12%, but she won't listen to me...and she's a fitness instructor!
  • snivvy
    snivvy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    1. No Exercise 12 hours before weighing (workouts can dehydrate you which can affect the reading).
    2. No Eating/Drinking 4 hours before weighing in (digestion requires fluids which can affect readings).
    3. Drink water & hydrate like crazy up to that 4 hour cut off.
    4. Weigh BEFORE taking a shower, as even damp feet can affect the reading.

Thanks for this. Really useful advice. I'm still about to set off on an evening run in a thunderstorm now though!
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    Ignore the numbers. Watch the trends.
  • Curvimami
    Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Is that you in the profile pic???? If so there is no way you are 28% body fat, you look more like 18-20% which is my goal. Im 27% and I look nothing like that. You look fantastic!! Keep up the great work :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Scales the "measure" BF cannot tell the difference between water and BF...this is a serious flaw in that the average person can have natural body weight fluctuations of 3-5 Lbs day to day due to water retention and release. If you can, I'd return that thing.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart3.jpg

According to this chart, you're average, not obese. Don't base so much on numbers. You look great.
  • MexicanOsmosis
    MexicanOsmosis Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Is that you in the profile pic???? If so there is no way you are 28% body fat, you look more like 18-20% which is my goal. Im 27% and I look nothing like that. You look fantastic!! Keep up the great work :smile:

That too.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Even if you are 28% bodyfat, that's not obese.

Ideal-Body-Fat-Percentage-Chart3.jpg

tumblr_inline_mljgyawCdt1qz4rgp.jpg
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Get off and get on again and the number can be different :laugh: Body fat percentage scales can be fairly pointless in my opinion. I wouldn't worry about those numbers.

You look much, much better at that weight than I do.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    So, I'd been feeling fairly pleased with myself lately.
    important

Weighed myself today to see I'm 2kg heavier than I was on Monday. And, my other half has bought some quite expensive body fat % scales and I'm 28.9% consisting of lard ,which puts me as obese.
    unimportant.

Put more emphasis on how you look in the mirror, how your clothes fit, and how you feel in general... less emphasis on numbers.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height as you, I do 4 workouts a week consisting of 20 mins cardio and 10 with kettlebells - I wear a hrm and a fitbit and eat my calories back. Like you my diet isn't perfect - I still eat crisps chocolate cereals cheese white bread etc I guess my advice is try be accurate your your calories burned and eat so using hrm and scale? And stick with it? Ull see the results you want without working out more or living off chicken and veg. That's me in my profile pic and I'm a uk 8-10