BMR is it included in calorie deficit for the day?

Hello! I'm 5'1" and after graduating college last may I quickly gained 20 pounds. Since then I started working out and have went from 142lbs to 133lbs in 4 months. Ideally I would like to lose 10 more pounds or be able to decrease my pant size from a 6 to size 4. Average I normally weighed 123 and wore a size 4 pant. I've come into some confusion with the calorie deficit. I'm focusing more on counting calories because for the last month I haven't lost any weight. When I'm adding my calorie deficit for the day do I add in my BMR to the number? I can't find the answer anywhere! Help!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    edited April 2017
    No. Just shoot for the goals MFP gave you.

You're making it too complicated.

You only have 10 pounds to lose? You're going to have to be spot on with your calorie intake. Do you use a food scale to weigh everything, and then log everything into your food diary? Start there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Just put your information into this calculator...it will calculate your deficit for you...that's the beauty of a calculator.
  • anpohlhaus
    anpohlhaus Posts: 9 Member
    edited April 2017
    I
  • anpohlhaus
    anpohlhaus Posts: 9 Member
    No. Just shoot for the goals MFP gave you.

You're making it too complicated.

You only have 10 pounds to lose? You're going to have to be spot on with your calorie intake. Do you use a food scale to weigh everything, and then log everything into your food diary? Start there.

I haven't been logging everything I just started today and am going to try and stick to it. I stopped counting calories because I was benign criticized for it. Obviously that didn't work. I scan the barcodes for everything I can. For everything else I measure I don't have a scale. I'm using T25 as one of my workouts along with running to the gym for weight training. I just upgraded my membership and along with it comes the 21 day fix. I'm going to have to research that a little to see which method of food prep is better.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    MFP includes your basal metabolic rate and tries to estimate your non-exercise activity in the question about your activity (if you're sedentary, lightly active, etc.)

You just have to input your excercise activity.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    The whole point of the calculator is that it gives you one number. You aim for that number. You log the food, the site does the math, you follow the numbers. You shouldn't have to be doing daily extra mental math.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    Congrats on your loss so far and on getting on top of this before the weight gain became unmanagable. Because you are small and have only 10 lbs to lose, you'll want to set a goal in mfp of 0.5 lb per week. This is both healthy and realistic. A faster loss will result in losing too much muscle.
    Food preparation methods matter only to help you reduce calories. For example grilling or baking with minimal fat will result in fewer calories consumed that breading & deep frying. Raw or steamed veggies are fewer calories than ones sautéed in lots of butter. There is no magical method or food plan the causes weight loss. It's all about the calories. As for those who criticize calorie counting, they have no idea what they are talking about, so ignore them.