Anyone who had a Fitbit allergy get a new one with no issues?

Options
KayHBE
KayHBE Posts: 906 Member
I was allergic to the Fitbit Force, it burned my wrist so I changed it to a ONE. My ONE is now having issues and was thinking of getting another wrist style but don't want any issues ( I like the idea of heart rate) So is there anyone out there who had an allergy and now has no problems with the new styles?

Replies

• mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My mom had an allergy and nothing she did to wear it on her wrist worked, not even the fabric wristbands. My dad bought her a necklace that finally worked.
  • KayHBE
    Options
    I wasn't allergic to the wristband, it was the back of it I believe it had some metal on it. It was a few years ago and they recalled them because of this. Just wondering if the new ones have affected anyone.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    KayHBE wrote: »
    I was allergic to the Fitbit Force, it burned my wrist so I changed it to a ONE. My ONE is now having issues and was thinking of getting another wrist style but don't want any issues ( I like the idea of heart rate) So is there anyone out there who had an allergy and now has no problems with the new styles?

You can wear a chest strap during exercise when your heart rate is relevant and useful. :smile:

Does Fitbit have the ability to leverage sensors?

If you're considering buying one but it might not work for you, a lot of stores have generous return policies. But given your history of having to replace Fitbits, it might be time to look at other options, too.
  • KayHBE
    Options

You can wear a chest strap during exercise when your heart rate is relevant and useful. :smile:

Does Fitbit have the ability to leverage sensors?

If you're considering buying one but it might not work for you, a lot of stores have generous return policies. But given your history of having to replace Fitbits, it might be time to look at other options, too.

I'm thinking about looking into something else also, I had a witherings chest strap but that stopped being supportive. Granted I did get 5 years from my chest strap and a good 3 1/2 years from my ONE
  • Minion72
    Minion72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I had a fitbit Charge HR, which burnt my wrist,but since I have the fitbit Alta that seems fine, had it 4 months now.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Minion72 wrote: »
    I had a fitbit Charge HR, which burnt my wrist,but since I have the fitbit Alta that seems fine, had it 4 months now.

and they now sell an alta with a HR monitor in it.
  • Minion72
    Minion72 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    Minion72 wrote: »

and they now sell an alta with a HR monitor in it.

Yes I know, oh well.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is known for this problem. When the Fitbit Flex first came out, I never had an issue. But then I got the Charge HR, and I know have a permanent scar on my wrist from being burnt so much. Eventually what I did was just buy a fabric wrist cover, which works pretty well. I don't really need the HR function anyway, so this was a good solution for me.
  • ReadyToGetHealthy2016
    Options
    I switched to the Apple Watch and have had no issues. Still have the heart rate sensor, steps get tracker, calorie counter is way better (it separates out calories you burn by moving versus just by living) and it links to MFP. I like it a lot.
  • KayHBE
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Thanks everyone..... Hmmm Apple Watch, maybe this.
  • souperchik
    souperchik Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So I was one of the original people get a reaction/burn from my original Fitbit and walked away for awhile. I now use an original Flex with no problems. I have both an apple watch and a Polar Chest Strap that I use at the gym for my regular workouts though. The Fitbit was a freebie but I've found it works really good for tracking my steps (better than my apple watch which has an extremely short battery life.)
  • CrystalRoseMeow
    CrystalRoseMeow Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I have the newer "sport" Apple Watch and it's amazing. The activity feature automatically tracks your exercise/active minutes/how often you stand/how many steps you take etc. it tracks my sleep, it tracks my runs (with a map, average speed, average heart rate, active calories AND total calories, duration, distance etc). It tracks my lifting heart rate and calories burned which helps allow me to make the most out of my sets and not waste time guessing when my heart rate is perfect to get back under the bar. It's also extremely functional for the rest of my life including GPS use while driving (it vibrates on my wrist when I'm supposed to be making a turn which allows me to spend less time looking at the distance numbers on my phone), discreetly screening calls/texts/emails during meetings, keeping me on time for everything in my life by vibrating when I need to leave to be on time to the next event in my calendar...I could go on for days. It's waterproof so I can swim/shower/whatever in it and it charges fully very quickly. If you use Apple technology this watch will be a great asset for you in every aspect of your life.
  • CrystalRoseMeow
    CrystalRoseMeow Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    souperchik wrote: »
    So I was one of the original people get a reaction/burn from my original Fitbit and walked away for awhile. I now use an original Flex with no problems. I have both an apple watch and a Polar Chest Strap that I use at the gym for my regular workouts though. The Fitbit was a freebie but I've found it works really good for tracking my steps (better than my apple watch which has an extremely short battery life.)

Which Apple Watch do you have? My battery life lasts a day and a half even with using the heart rate monitor during workouts and while tracking sleep overnight. Do you have the setting where the face turns on when you move your wrist? That will save a TON of battery life if you only have the screen come on when you ask it to instead of every time you move your arm. Apple has awesome customer service so if your battery is dying really fast they can help you troubleshoot or replace it. The seamless integration of data between what I'm doing and my apps is so essential in my life and it's super convenient because I never have to think about it! It's just there.
  • KayHBE
    Options

I have the newer "sport" Apple Watch and it's amazing. The activity feature automatically tracks your exercise/active minutes/how often you stand/how many steps you take etc. it tracks my sleep, it tracks my runs (with a map, average speed, average heart rate, active calories AND total calories, duration, distance etc). It tracks my lifting heart rate and calories burned which helps allow me to make the most out of my sets and not waste time guessing when my heart rate is perfect to get back under the bar. It's also extremely functional for the rest of my life including GPS use while driving (it vibrates on my wrist when I'm supposed to be making a turn which allows me to spend less time looking at the distance numbers on my phone), discreetly screening calls/texts/emails during meetings, keeping me on time for everything in my life by vibrating when I need to leave to be on time to the next event in my calendar...I could go on for days. It's waterproof so I can swim/shower/whatever in it and it charges fully very quickly. If you use Apple technology this watch will be a great asset for you in every aspect of your life.

Thank you ... I'm going to go check them out more closely now.