janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Mahdi22 wrote: »
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

So I workout 30 mins a day of intense and interval training 5 days a week and eat healthy. I've been doing this for 1 week so far lol. What can I do to maximize my weight loss? I want to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible. Anything I should do? I also drink 10-12 cups of water a day.

Eat in a calorie deficit...

Can u explain what that is? I never really understood it...

Your body uses calories 24/7.....heart, lungs, etc. Then you use additional calories moving around. If you don't move a lot, you are sedentary. My Fitness Pal (MFP) will take your calorie deficit from here. Example: if you choose 1 pound a week MFP takes a 500 calorie deficit (3500/7=500).

If you CHOOSE to exercise you earn additional calories (to eat back) because making the deficit too big isn't healthy. However, calorie burn guesstimates can be generous. Start by eating back 50%, and adjust from there based on actual results.

The speed of weight loss is going to depend upon your current size. Obese people can lose faster....initially. Fast weight loss when close to goal is generally a higher % of existing lean muscle mass loss.

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

So I workout 30 mins a day of intense and interval training 5 days a week and eat healthy. I've been doing this for 1 week so far lol. What can I do to maximize my weight loss? I want to lose as much as possible as quickly as possible. Anything I should do? I also drink 10-12 cups of water a day.

Your body uses calories 24/7.....heart, lungs, etc. Then you use additional calories moving around. If you don't move a lot, you are sedentary. My Fitness Pal (MFP) will take your calorie deficit from here. Example: if you choose 1 pound a week MFP takes a 500 calorie deficit (3500/7=500).

If you CHOOSE to exercise you earn additional calories (to eat back) because making the deficit too big isn't healthy. However, calorie burn guesstimates can be generous. Start by eating back 50%, and adjust from there based on actual results.

The speed of weight loss is going to depend upon your current size. Obese people can lose faster....initially. Fast weight loss when close to goal is generally a higher % of existing lean muscle mass loss.
    Hey everyone,

So basically....It says to eat 2100 calories in order to lose 2 pounds a week. Yesterday I ate 1700 calories and only did mild workout less than 100 calories burned. Usually I burn 3-400.

So I have to burn 1800 because I ate 1700 to be in a deficit?

No. Your body uses calories ALL day, not just when exercising. Your body burns calories while you are sleeping, watching TV, brushing your teeth, driving your car, etc, etc, etc. Intentional exercise like jogging makes your body burn MORE calories than normal.

You need to enter your stats into this website, set your activity level at sedentary and eat the amount of calories it tells you to eat. IF you exercise, and burn 100 calories, you can then eat 100 more calories than this website told you to when you did the set up.

I burn calories by watching tv if I'm in a deficit? What...?

You burn calories watching tv whether you are in a deficit or not.

Your body requires calories to run. Even if you stay in bed all day, you will burn calories (although not nearly as many as you burn by getting out of bed and walking around).

Let's say your body needs 1,600 calories a day just from your daily activities. If you eat less than this, you are in a deficit and your body weight will go down because your body will use the stored energy within it to keep running.

If you exercise, that deficit becomes larger. If you burn 200 calories in exercise, that 1,600 you need just to live becomes 1,800.

Generally, once you burn 3,500 calories from your body's energy stores, you lose a pound. So if your deficit is 250 calories a day, you will lose half a pound a week. If your deficit is 500 calories a day, you will lose a pound a week.

If you put your stats into MFP, it will give you a goal to be at a deficit. Hit this goal through logging accurately and you will lose weight.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

So basically....It says to eat 2100 calories in order to lose 2 pounds a week. Yesterday I ate 1700 calories and only did mild workout less than 100 calories burned. Usually I burn 3-400.

No. Your body uses calories ALL day, not just when exercising. Your body burns calories while you are sleeping, watching TV, brushing your teeth, driving your car, etc, etc, etc. Intentional exercise like jogging makes your body burn MORE calories than normal.

You need to enter your stats into this website, set your activity level at sedentary and eat the amount of calories it tells you to eat. IF you exercise, and burn 100 calories, you can then eat 100 more calories than this website told you to when you did the set up.

Are you trolling? :/
  • Mahdi22
    Mahdi22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

No...I'm quoting what the other guy said. I thought he was trolling. I'm just confused
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

No...I'm quoting what the other guy said. I thought he was trolling. I'm just confused

That was me. Not a guy. Not trolling.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    Seriously, OP. Enter your stats into this website, and follow the calories you're given.

Quit thinking and do it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

Let's backtrack.

A calorie is a unit of energy. So when we say that you burn calories all day long, it means that your body uses energy in order to run all of its activity all day long. Everything from breathing to blinking while you watch TV to digesting your food to running around a track takes energy in order to make it happen.

Fat on your body is stored energy and if you are overweight/overfat, it means that you have more stored energy than you need in order for your body to work all day long. In order to get rid of that stored energy, you need to make your body use it.

In order to get your body to use it, you eat a bit less energy than you need so that your body says "Hey, I need 2500 units of energy but I have only eaten 2000 units of energy. I know! I'll pull the other 500 that I need from my fat stores." That 500 units of energy (i.e., calories) is what we call a calorie deficit. It is the difference between what your body needs and what you eat in food each day.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Mahdi22, are you over 18?
  • Mahdi22
    Mahdi22 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

Let's backtrack.

A calorie is a unit of energy. So when we say that you burn calories all day long, it means that your body uses energy in order to run all of its activity all day long. Everything from breathing to blinking while you watch TV to digesting your food to running around a track takes energy in order to make it happen.

Fat on your body is stored energy and if you are overweight/overfat, it means that you have more stored energy than you need in order for your body to work all day long. In order to get rid of that stored energy, you need to make your body use it.

In order to get your body to use it, you eat a bit less energy than you need so that your body says "Hey, I need 2500 units of energy but I have only eaten 2000 units of energy. I know! I'll pull the other 500 that I need from my fat stores." That 500 units of energy (i.e., calories) is what we call a calorie deficit. It is the difference between what your body needs and what you eat in food each day.

Okay now it makes so much more sense than before. I changed my goals on the app. So, my current weight is 220 (I use this app on and off and I gained 15 pounds since I first downloaded the app), and my goal weight is 175 pounds. I also put in that I'm lightly active (I do 30 mins of insanity max 30, 5 days a week. Is that considered lightly active?)

So now....It changed my whole thing...My allowed calories are 1750 calories. That means I have to eat that much to lose 2 pounds every week right?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

Let's backtrack.

Okay now it makes so much more sense than before. I changed my goals on the app. So, my current weight is 220 (I use this app on and off and I gained 15 pounds since I first downloaded the app), and my goal weight is 175 pounds. I also put in that I'm lightly active (I do 30 mins of insanity max 30, 5 days a week. Is that considered lightly active?)

So now....It changed my whole thing...My allowed calories are 1750 calories. That means I have to eat that much to lose 2 pounds every week right?

MFP wants to know your activity level based on what you do *outside* of exercise. So choose it based on your everyday tasks and then log your exercise when you do it. That exercise will "earn" you additional calories. Some people find that the calorie burn estimates provided by MFP are over-estimates, so they only eat back a portion of the exercise calories -- like 50%.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hey everyone,

So basically...
    Hey everyone,

Hey everyone,

Let's say a 5'5" - 50 YO female weighs 200 pounds and stays in bed all day. Even then their body is still using calories (this is why people in comas get feeding tubes).......that would be approx: 1566 calories

If she wanted to lose weight, she could eat less AND/OR she could move more. People who can't physically exercise can still lose weight, they just eat less than usual. Exercise is not a requirement.

In the above example if the 50 YO bedridden woman ate 1200 calories she would create a 366 calorie deficit (1566 - 1200 = 366).

If the 50 YO was not bedridden (but sedentary) she would be using more than 1566 calories. Getting up, walking, brushing teeth.....this activity uses calories. At sedentary she would use approx: 1879 calories. If the woman ate 1200 calories.....her deficit is 1879 - 1200 = 579 calories.

Exercise is a choice. Exercise is not included in MFPs numbers......so exercise "earns" you additional calories. But calorie burns are guesstimates.....be careful not to eat back too many.