Doing Fitness programs as outlined

Options
lin7604
lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
Ok I am wondering if this only bothers me or if others feel the same.
I get that fitness programs are created for a reason in their layout. But!!! Why do so many freak out when you don't follow a program as outlined? Isn't any exercise better then none at all? Maybe it's not all about results and just to be moving and being healthy???
I have several friends that are using the bb demand and just flip flop though programs depending on how they feel that day. Which imo is still great as they are still exercising... yet so many coaches I have spoken to freak out when you don't follow a program as outlined. I had quite a few speak their mind to me this week because of what I choose to do. Shouldn't there just be support that we are moving??!!!

Replies

• bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    You need tough love
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me unless that person tries saying that the program doesn't work. Well, of course it didn't work for you - you didn't do it.

Generally, I don't think it's a good idea - what your friends are doing - simply because certain body parts are probably getting neglected. That's how imbalances and injuries tend to happen. There's no guarantee of either, though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Any exercise is better than none...but really, I wouldn't see the point in paying/having a coach if you didn't have goals that went beyond just moving a little more and getting some general exercise.

I have a coach and I pay him handsomely when I work with him and he provides me programming based on my stated goals and I trust that he is providing me with the best training protocol to achieve those things...so not sure why I wouldn't follow his program as outlined. If I just went off and did something else, I'd more or less be wasting his time.

ETA: just flip flopping around and doing randomness is also a good way to develop muscular imbalances
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I follow an online program and I have a tendency to change my programming around (I follow it maybe 75%), however our coach encourages it.. but it is a group program and not tailored to me. I do think if you hire someone one on one who designs a program specifically for you and you don't follow it, well ya I agree with usmcmp, that would be pretty disrespectful and shows a lack of trust in your coach.

Generally, I think when you know what works and what doesn't for your body there is nothing wrong with tweaking things... provided you have the experience and are progressing as desired. I think if you follow a program and at the end of it go "well why am I not seeing results..." then you have to ask yourself if what you are doing is a good idea.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    lin7604 wrote: »
    Ok I am wondering if this only bothers me or if others feel the same.
    I get that fitness programs are created for a reason in their layout. But!!! Why do so many freak out when you don't follow a program as outlined? Isn't any exercise better then none at all? Maybe it's not all about results and just to be moving and being healthy???
    I have several friends that are using the bb demand and just flip flop though programs depending on how they feel that day. Which imo is still great as they are still exercising... yet so many coaches I have spoken to freak out when you don't follow a program as outlined. I had quite a few speak their mind to me this week because of what I choose to do. Shouldn't there just be support that we are moving??!!!

The regular uncritical cheerleading Vs constructive feedback debate.

If success to you is did some stuff then that's fine. If you want to see progress, you need to train for progress.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I work under the assumption that the people who wrote the training programs I've followed have more general training knowledge/experience than I do. I follow the programs of written when I start. After a certain amount of time I might tweak them a bit based on what works better for me based on my experience or goals. But if I had a trainer writing an actual custom program for me I would follow it as written since I would communicate my goals to that person and expect her to be helping me move toward meeting them.
  • lin7604
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Yes, any exercise is better than none. If you have some specific goals you want to accomplish with body composition then it's far better to follow a program as it is written. Ultimately it is up to each person though, and modifying programming or jumping around in a program is likely to result in slower progress (again, for someone with very specific goals and not the average person).

ETA: If you pay a coach or trainer for a program and don't follow it as it is written it's rude and to a degree you're wasting their time.
    . For one, I am not paying a coach for anything and never would. I'm just referring to beachbody coaches who think they are personAl trainers.

• lin7604
    Options
    You need tough love
    And why is that? Because I am just happy that I am moving and exercising?
  • lin7604
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Any exercise is better than none...but really, I wouldn't see the point in paying/having a coach if you didn't have goals that went beyond just moving a little more and getting some general exercise.

I have a coach and I pay him handsomely when I work with him and he provides me programming based on my stated goals and I trust that he is providing me with the best training protocol to achieve those things...so not sure why I wouldn't follow his program as outlined. If I just went off and did something else, I'd more or less be wasting his time.

ETA: just flip flopping around and doing randomness is also a good way to develop muscular imbalances

Just referring to beachbody coaches. That's all. Should of added it to my original post
  • JonDrees
    JonDrees Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Speaking from a coach's perspective, I put things in my clients' programs based on what I feel they need to reach their intended goals - nothing more, nothing less. While you may feel there is things in there that are not necessary, whoever wrote your program (hopefully) had a good reason for putting them there.

With that said, if you eliminate 1 of the 4 sets of squats I prescribed for you that day because you ran a marathon the day prior, that's perfectly ok.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Yes, any exercise is better than none. If you have some specific goals you want to accomplish with body composition then it's far better to follow a program as it is written. Ultimately it is up to each person though, and modifying programming or jumping around in a program is likely to result in slower progress (again, for someone with very specific goals and not the average person).

ETA: If you pay a coach or trainer for a program and don't follow it as it is written it's rude and to a degree you're wasting their time.
    For one, I am not paying a coach for anything and never would. I'm just referring to beachbody coaches who think they are personAl trainers.

I didn't say you personally were, I thought this was a general discussion on people. You can refer to a single person or a group of people.
  • lin7604
    Options
    Sorry all I should of added in my original post, I was just referring to beachbody coaches. Not real coaches!

I'll give my example where it annoyed me. I haven't exercised this year and was starting to get myself up and ready to restart things this week. I decided I was going to go hammer and chisel. But.... I was just going to do the chisel 30 day calendar just to get myself back into routine and motivated. Imo the workouts are very similar to 21 day fix.. once I was able to get past that first month I was going to do the whole program for the 60 days as outlined. My reason for this was cause the chisel workouts are a good combo of everything. Plus sagi irritates me and with just getting back into things I needed to make sure I'm doing something I'll stick with! If I can get through the first 30 days then I'm good in general! But yet 9 out of 10 people I spoke to who are if course beach body coaches all flipped their Gaskets that I was doing that! Only one was supportive and said do what u need. To just to get back into the swing of things. Do what will work and keep u motivated. I was so surprised because I would of thought I would of got a lot more support in the fact I was getting off my *kitten* to begin with!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »

I tend to stick with programs that people that know a lot more about this stuff than me have designed.

Yeah, that. ^^ (Which does NOT include BB coaches.)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Maybe just stop sharing your plans with salesmen?
  • lin7604
    Options
    Beachbody coaches are trying to make sales. They make sales partly based on people's reviews and seeing results. If they get a bunch of people saying "I tried Hammer and Chisel and it didn't make any difference at all," that lowers sales. And can be extra frustrating if the people really didn't fully try the program and are wondering why they didn't see a difference.

Now I've seen the other end of the oversensitivity for sure. In a bodypump class, my husband modified a bench press to help with a shoulder injury (just changed to a neutral grip) and the instructor freaked out.

That said, if you don't use a coach, and have your threshold set at "happy I am moving and exercising" what do you care what other people's coaches think?
    Good pint .. I guess it's just because I was looking for support! Which I did not get!
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Beachbody coaches are trying to make sales. They make sales partly based on people's reviews and seeing results. If they get a bunch of people saying "I tried Hammer and Chisel and it didn't make any difference at all," that lowers sales. And can be extra frustrating if the people really didn't fully try the program and are wondering why they didn't see a difference.

Now I've seen the other end of the oversensitivity for sure. In a bodypump class, my husband modified a bench press to help with a shoulder injury (just changed to a neutral grip) and the instructor freaked out.

That said, if you don't use a coach, and have your threshold set at "happy I am moving and exercising" what do you care what other people's coaches think?
    Good pint .. I guess it's just because I was looking for support! Which I did not get!

They'll support you if they think they can make money off of you.
  • lin7604
    Options
    Maybe just stop sharing your plans with salesmen?
    see I have been friends with these gals for years. So I thought they would show support.

• lin7604
    edited April 2017
    Options

They'll support you if they think they can make money off of you.
    But they may right.... there is always another program coming out all the time. So why would of be negative? Being negative will only lose them their next sale...