Help me increase calories without a fridge

Options
2»

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    See if you can borrow a cooler from a friend. As long as you keep fresh ice in it, it's as safe as a fridge.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Did someone say Ontario?

giphy.gif

I'll continue the off topicness.. I always thought you lived in London, England, Jade. I have no clue what the American and Canadian initials stand for! You lot have far too many states :lol: We have a grand total of 6 states in Australia.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Shredded cheese freezes and thaws easily. If you can stand bacon, you can cook it ahead of time and freeze it in strips.

Canned chicken or tuna. Add packets of mayo (no fridge required). You could do a chicken salad style meal and add nuts for more calories.

Canned beans (flavor with cumin and other taco seasonings), plus an avocado or guac. Over tortilla chips or in a tortilla. Add frozen shredded cheese to beans as they cook, or on top of you can thaw it a bit first. You could add lettuce, tomatoes or salsa if you had it. But it wouldn't be necessary.

Frozen tortellini with canned pasta sauce. You *could* add precooked/frozen chicken or meatballs if you wanted. Pest is good frozen into ice cube trays, so if you opened a big container you could freeze for later instead of freezing--and it's high calorie.

Does meat gross you out if you cook it right away? You could make a batch of chili or other soups and freeze them in individual containers. I'm less grossed out by meat (especially precooked and frozen meat) if it's in something. Or make enchiladas and freeze individually?

Breakfast burritos. Use eggs from fridge (although they too can be frozen--just crack them into a separate little container first), frozen cheese, maybe some diced/boiled potatoes, frozen bacon or precooked sausage. You can even make these ahead in a larger batch and freeze them. You could even use potatoes or hash browns from the frozen section to cut time.

On that same note, a breakfast hash is good. Same ingredients as burritos. Add other veggies (frozen would work, too), canned chilis, etc.

Breakfast sandwiches. Freeze lunch meat or sausage patties if you feel you need it. But eggs and cheese are plenty if you don't want meat.

Add cheese or guac to veggies. Nuts to salads. Beans for filling up on fiber and protein because they require no fridge. Frozen or canned veggies.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Oh, I second the frozen pasta and sauces. You can buy the large bags of frozen ravioli/tortelini and just grab out the amount you need, it defrosts in the boiling water. Sauces can be frozen (and even bought) in single size serves.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Nuts, dried fruit, nut butters.

Bread

Rice or ramen (since someone mentioned ramen... sodium bombs!)

Cheese, full fat dairy, cream, ice cream

Muffins or pretty much any baked goods

Brownies and chocolate bars and pies

Condiments and dressings

Im going to make sme muffins thats a really good option actually good ideas guys!!
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Did someone say Ontario?

giphy.gif

I'll continue the off topicness.. I always thought you lived in London, England, Jade. I have no clue what the American and Canadian initials stand for! You lot have far too many states :lol: We have a grand total of 6 states in Australia.

haha nope im canadian lol
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    tnm7760 wrote: »
    Shredded cheese freezes and thaws easily. If you can stand bacon, you can cook it ahead of time and freeze it in strips.

Canned chicken or tuna. Add packets of mayo (no fridge required). You could do a chicken salad style meal and add nuts for more calories.

Canned beans (flavor with cumin and other taco seasonings), plus an avocado or guac. Over tortilla chips or in a tortilla. Add frozen shredded cheese to beans as they cook, or on top of you can thaw it a bit first. You could add lettuce, tomatoes or salsa if you had it. But it wouldn't be necessary.

Frozen tortellini with canned pasta sauce. You *could* add precooked/frozen chicken or meatballs if you wanted. Pest is good frozen into ice cube trays, so if you opened a big container you could freeze for later instead of freezing--and it's high calorie.

Does meat gross you out if you cook it right away? You could make a batch of chili or other soups and freeze them in individual containers. I'm less grossed out by meat (especially precooked and frozen meat) if it's in something. Or make enchiladas and freeze individually?

Breakfast burritos. Use eggs from fridge (although they too can be frozen--just crack them into a separate little container first), frozen cheese, maybe some diced/boiled potatoes, frozen bacon or precooked sausage. You can even make these ahead in a larger batch and freeze them. You could even use potatoes or hash browns from the frozen section to cut time.

On that same note, a breakfast hash is good. Same ingredients as burritos. Add other veggies (frozen would work, too), canned chilis, etc.

Breakfast sandwiches. Freeze lunch meat or sausage patties if you feel you need it. But eggs and cheese are plenty if you don't want meat.

Add cheese or guac to veggies. Nuts to salads. Beans for filling up on fiber and protein because they require no fridge. Frozen or canned veggies.

great ideas thanks so much for taking the time :)
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    There are several frozen breakfast bowls and sandwiches that have good macros - I think Special K has a veggie egg white one with turkey sausage that is quite tasty).
    Since you have minimal time and prep go with some of the Healthy Choice type frozen meals to get your through - Evol and Annies have some great meatless options too.
    You can get shelf stable almond and coconut milks in individual servings and make a dairy free smoothie with frozen fruit and veg (I just put fresh baby spinach in the freezer and works really well).
    No sugar added dried fruit helps me with energy levels - apricots and mango are my go-to's.
    Ready to cook sweet potatoes nuked and topped with some shredded chicken (either store bought or homemade and then frozen) and tossed with some buffalo or bbq sauce.
    Instead of McD's I would hit Wendy's for a baked potato and chili.
    A lot of grocery stores have really nice salads for grab and go you can pick up on your way to or from work.
    Egg and veggie scramble
    Can never go wrong with a PB&J

When you have some more time for food prep get the ingredients for the egg sandwiches and breakfast burritos to freeze for grab and go meals. I make a meatless one with refried beans, eggs, hot sauce, shredded pepper jack, and eggs scrambled with (very well drained) fresh pico de gallo/salsa.
    Make and freeze your preferred chili in individual portions to serve on a baked regular or sweet potato.
    Enchiladas, lasagna, and chicken pot pie all are easy to make ahead and freeze in individual servings. Grab the frozen container and leave in a lunch bag until time to eat - it thaws during the day but is still slightly frozen around lunch time so no need to refrigerate.