Delayed weight gain

Options
Is it possible to binge, I'm talking 7,000 calories, and not gain weight the next day, but gain it a week from now? How long does the food take to turn into fat?

Replies

• annaclaireblack
    annaclaireblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    *if they go back to eating maintenance or under maintenance the following week. I'm just wondering how long it takes for weight gain to show up.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Well . . . there's research suggesting that it takes food up to 50+ hours to make it all the way through your digestive tract.

If you massively over-eat, obviously there's likely to be some immediate scale impact from extra food physically making its way through your body (plus possibly water weight from extra carbs and salt).

But any fat gain from the over-consumption will take some amount of time to turn into fat, since some digestive processes need to complete in order for that to happen. How long? I don't know. I suspect it could vary by individual, depend on what was eaten, what one ate with it, etc.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,872 Member
    Options
    Well . . . there's research suggesting that it takes food up to 50+ hours to make it all the way through your digestive tract.

If you massively over-eat, obviously there's likely to be some immediate scale impact from extra food physically making its way through your body (plus possibly water weight from extra carbs and salt).

But any fat gain from the over-consumption will take some amount of time to turn into fat, since some digestive processes need to complete in order for that to happen. How long? I don't know. I suspect it could vary by individual, depend on what was eaten, what one ate with it, etc.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've averaged between 7-10k dailly for an entire summer and didn't gain fat.

Fat comes from a surplus, how much of a surplus are you speaking of?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    7000 calories of food is going to have some weight to it. You're going to be heavier after eating it. At least for awhile.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to binge, I'm talking 7,000 calories, and not gain weight the next day, but gain it a week from now? How long does the food take to turn into fat?

No, that isn't possible. It isn't like that food is sitting on a shelf somewhere until it turns to fat. You are carrying that food in your gut and chemical processes turn it into other things.