Workout buddy

Options
2»

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I used to had a friend I worked out with. I still run with friends and such, and it can definitely help me get out when my own motivation and habit aren't enough incentive. I wish I had a workout buddy that knows their way around the weights, though. It's an area I know almost nothing about and I don't know how to get started lifting without injuring myself through ignorance.

Yeah the problem with lifting with someone new is that some people( including me) would imagine don't have the patience to "teach" someone. I don't want to teach someone from A. I think it's cool to share experiences​ and ideas though.
  • FairhavenDS
    FairhavenDS Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I used to had a friend I worked out with. I still run with friends and such, and it can definitely help me get out when my own motivation and habit aren't enough incentive. I wish I had a workout buddy that knows their way around the weights, though. It's an area I know almost nothing about and I don't know how to get started lifting without injuring myself through ignorance.

Yeah the problem with lifting with someone new is that some people( including me) would imagine don't have the patience to "teach" someone. I don't want to teach someone from A. I think it's cool to share experiences​ and ideas though.

I completely get it, which is why I don't bother my friends that workout about "showing me the ropes". When I go to the gym, I just want to workout and that would be hard to get in a good one while demonstrating for someone else. How did you lifters learn, by the way? Other than shelling out for a personal trainer, I don't know how else I'd learn.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    it is very difficult to find the "right" workout buddy. I used to have a workout buddy, and the thing that made it work is that you have the same commitment, and are able to push each other. It can bring your workouts to a whole different level if you have the right buddy
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    Its cool to go with someone but most people are flakey so it gets tiring. Then I made one in my house so I'm forever alone at the gym. Still the shower has my cute little ducks in it and the kitchen has a ton of food.

Plus I rarely have to see naked dudes in the bathroom. :neutral:

I wouldn't mind seeing naked dudes in the bathroom.

Whatever raises your mast my friend. I personally prefer to see naked women in the bathroom (another reason im not allowed in the local gyms)

Wait..what's my maist?
  • Ironandwine69
    Options

I completely get it, which is why I don't bother my friends that workout about "showing me the ropes". When I go to the gym, I just want to workout and that would be hard to get in a good one while demonstrating for someone else. How did you lifters learn, by the way? Other than shelling out for a personal trainer, I don't know how else I'd learn.

I've been lifting for 12 years and I just started training with a PT a couple of weeks ago for the very first time ever.
    Watch alot of YouTube videos and practice, practice, practice. Once you think you got the proper form for a certain exercise try to add weights to it. Then add some more.
    I think you never stop learning though. Just the other day I was checking out wide squats vids, even though I've been doing them for years. There's always something new to learn
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    Lol it has to be the bicep profile

Haha yeah. It's impressive for a girl, I know.
    I've made a lot of sammiches with those biceps.
  • Muscle_for_Fitness
    Muscle_for_Fitness Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I've done both and both have there advantages. I feel like having someone there to spot me lets me really push out the last rep or two to complete failure. But I would much rather workout on my own with my music and focus.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Now that I am back home instead of working out of town, I get to have my son as my workout buddy.
  • Ironandwine69
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    Now that I am back home instead of working out of town, I get to have my son as my workout buddy.

Oh that is so cute.
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've never had one. I actually don't even like talking to people at the gym. But working out with a PT the last couple weeks made me think that it might be fun to have a workout buddy.I know it's not the same thing working out with a PT and a workout buddy. But it would be a lot of fun, wouldn't it?
    Share your experience or thoughts..

Lift by myself now more or less have for like 10 years in my own "Gym that's in my garage that's about 20 feet from my house it does have it pro's n con's the pro is u can do what u want when u want con is sometimes it's nice to have someone to lift with too, for the days when you are sore or not motivated to lift or to motivate u to lift harder...
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    ejsilvi wrote: »
    I've never had one. I actually don't even like talking to people at the gym. But working out with a PT the last couple weeks made me think that it might be fun to have a workout buddy.I know it's not the same thing working out with a PT and a workout buddy. But it would be a lot of fun, wouldn't it?
    Share your experience or thoughts..

Lift by myself now more or less have for like 10 years in my own "Gym that's in my garage that's about 20 feet from my house it does have it pro's n con's the pro is u can do what u want when u want con is sometimes it's nice to have someone to lift with too, for the days when you are sore or not motivated to lift or to motivate u to lift harder...

I too have a gym at home. I hardly ever use it, but go to my neighborhood gym almost daily.

I like training with my homeboys.
  • stevet621
    stevet621 Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

I wouldn't mind seeing naked dudes in the bathroom.
    [/quote]

️Lmao. Come to my gym in NY. There is no shortage of that in the locker rooms. Just have to pretend you identify as one and you are good to go!