Best exercises for glutes?

Options
Goddess0921
Goddess0921 Posts: 91 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I know squats are great, but (A) they are a bit monotonous and (B) my knee is killing me and I've got about 10 days until my next cortisone shot.

So, it's awesome that I've lost about 20 pounds, but unfortunately I've lost a lot of it in my @ss. This is unacceptable and I need my booty back.

Please help! Thanks!

Replies

• JLASilver
    JLASilver Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Glute Bridges. There's some awesome videos on correct form and they are easy-ish for beginners. No knee pain for me with those.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I do glute bridges on a bosun ball, either with a ball between my knees or single leg. I also do really high step ups but those probably won't be good for knees.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Squats actually aren't THE best for the butt. Barbell hip thrusts and glute bridges, cable pull throughs and kick backs, side lateral raise (or some lateral movement), good mornings, straight leg deadlift, single leg dumbbell deadlift

All this.

ETA also walking lunges are killer.
  • stasia215
    stasia215 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    LOL I suggest going on Instagram because there are so many chicks all about the booty on there who also share their workouts to get the bubble they have and its motivating. A lot of fitness stuff gets posted on there (people love to show off)
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts, donkey kicks, deadlifts
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My favorites are glute bridges, lunges, deadlifts, and step-ups (all with weight)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    stasia215 wrote: »
    LOL I suggest going on Instagram because there are so many chicks all about the booty on there who also share their workouts to get the bubble they have and its motivating. A lot of fitness stuff gets posted on there (people love to show off)

Keep in mind many of these internet sensations are enhanced and use poses and angles to make their booty look larger. There are some legit ones but I would look to Bret Contreras instead for glute workout advice.

I wanted to add.. all the exercises above are great.. but if you are still losing/eating in a deficit they will more retain what you have/enhance the shape, not necessarily significantly grow it. Just didn't want you to get discouraged when you don't get your booty back despite all these exercises.
  • cookielover_96
    cookielover_96 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Weighted hip raises and incline leg press
  • Goddess0921
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!! You've all been a huge help!
    sardelsa wrote: »

Keep in mind many of these internet sensations are enhanced and use poses and angles to make their booty look larger. There are some legit ones but I would look to Bret Contreras instead for glute workout advice.

I wanted to add.. all the exercises above are great.. but if you are still losing/eating in a deficit they will more retain what you have/enhance the shape, not necessarily significantly grow it. Just didn't want you to get discouraged when you don't get your booty back despite all these exercises.

I think that's really what I'm looking to do now that it's been put that way. I don't need to have a Kardashian butt. I still have enough to work with...maybe. But, it's not looking the way it needs to. Hopefully enhancing the shape of what I have left will do the trick! Thanks!!

• Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Best glute exercise IMO is a Barbell Reverse Alternating Lunge. Nothing hits my glutes like these do.
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    hip thrusts
    glute bridges
    stiff leg deads
    donkey kicks
  • SpotLighttt
    SpotLighttt Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    and step ups!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone!! You've all been a huge help!
    sardelsa wrote: »

I think that's really what I'm looking to do now that it's been put that way. I don't need to have a Kardashian butt. I still have enough to work with...maybe. But, it's not looking the way it needs to. Hopefully enhancing the shape of what I have left will do the trick! Thanks!!

Yea it's best to retain what you have so it's great you are starting now. Look into Strong Curves.. fantastic program that has a focus on the glutes as well as the rest of your body.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    Hip thrusts, donkey kicks, deadlifts

all of these. Go to Pinterest and put in Malibooty TIU and a really good routine comes up.
  • Goddess0921
    Options
    Best glute exercise IMO is a Barbell Reverse Alternating Lunge. Nothing hits my glutes like these do.

I would love to, but my knee can't handle lunges right now.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If squats are hurting your knees you need to have a coach who knows what the hell they're doing form check you.
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Deadlifts are great for your butt because they work the hamstring -- if those are toned, it can make a small but look bigger and more curvy. I do the stiff legged or Romanian style.

I'm not a knee expert, but can you do leg presses? Single leg presses always make my glutes SUPER sore.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    1) I'd figure out why squats hurt your knees in case there's a way to still allow you to squat without pain.

2) The glutes extend the hips and abduct the femurs. Any exercise that does this against load will generally be good for the glutes. Barbell Hip thrusts are excellent at training hip extension and you could add in some form of resisted femoral abduction like banded clams or a hip abduction machine/etc.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Bridges and weighted donkey kicks