Can B vitamins really make a difference in helping to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I'm posting this table to highlight what many others have stated - if you do not have a diagnosed deficiency, then you do not need to take supplements. There are diseases directly attributable to overdose. Use with caution.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    It wont make you lose weight. I do a get a burst of energy when i take vitB tablets, but that effect wears off after a few weeks of taking them.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,013 Member
    Options
    No. I have B-12 anemia and have taken injections for over 12 years. I gained most of my weight while taking the injections. B-12 And other B vitamins might help with energy levels, but they don't help you lose weight.
  • Jriggs46615
    Jriggs46615 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I take a B-complex pill daily. My mom and I (sometimes) were getting cramps in our legs, so we tried different suggestions. Nothing worked. After some research, I found that B was supposed to help. I've taken one daily for a long time now, and the cramps have gone away. My mom doesn't take one daily, but she takes one, when the cramping starts, and it always helps. This is why I take a B. It might help with energy, too, I guess. I haven't noticed any difference with weight.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I'm posting this table to highlight what many others have stated - if you do not have a diagnosed deficiency, then you do not need to take supplements. There are diseases directly attributable to overdose. Use with caution.

Sorry. This source made me laugh. Whenever someone posts a link that isn't from a "scientific" site people jump all over them. And then someone posts a link from wikipedia. I don't care what it's about - I looked - I'm just commenting on the source of the info. Surely there are more "scientific" sources. LOL (and I'm not one that jumps on sources)
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Sorry. This source made me laugh. Whenever someone posts a link that isn't from a "scientific" site people jump all over them. And then someone posts a link from wikipedia. I don't care what it's about - I looked - I'm just commenting on the source of the info. Surely there are more "scientific" sources. LOL (and I'm not one that jumps on sources)

Wikipedia lists all the scientific sources it refers to at the bottom. It is a very reliable source of information. Nothing to laugh about. (You're free to laugh at anything you want of course.)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    RCGibby45 wrote: »
    Can B vitamins really make a difference in helping to lose weight? I have several friends who take Vitamin B injections. Although I am not up for shots, would taking a B vitamin really help make a difference?

I take B-12 oral supplements (per my doctor's recommendation) because of a tendency towards anemia and it helps the blood cells absorb iron, which mine don't do as well as they should. In that respect it does help my weight loss because I am not tired all the time and I have enough energy to do my workouts. If I did not work out to help create a calorie deficit I would have a harder time losing. The B-12 does not help with weight loss in and of itself.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Wikipedia lists all the scientific sources it refers to at the bottom. It is a very reliable source of information. Nothing to laugh about. (You're free to laugh at anything you want of course.)

Wikipedia entries can be edited by the public and is not reliable. In academic institutions, you would get mark's docked from assignments for referencing it.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

Wikipedia entries can be edited by the public and is not reliable. In academic institutions, you would get mark's docked from assignments for referencing it.

That is true (when referencing Wikipedia itself), but you can typically utilize and include the direct resources that are included in the references.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I think the reason they give those shots is to avoid water retention. I did a diet clinic years ago where they gave us those shots. I take a B complex regularly just because I know I don't get enough in my food. But it certainly isn't making me skinny. A calorie deficit is doing that.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I think it plays a role in metabolism, assists with using energy efficiently, and boats your energy. Vitamin B deficiency may not be the most common nutritional disorder, but it is common. I will say I do not have a serum deficiency, but I feel it when I forget my vitamins. To me, that says a lot.

What role does it play in metabolism? And how does it assist with using energy efficiently?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    I think it plays a role in metabolism, assists with using energy efficiently, and boats your energy. Vitamin B deficiency may not be the most common nutritional disorder, but it is common. I will say I do not have a serum deficiency, but I feel it when I forget my vitamins. To me, that says a lot.

What role does it play in metabolism? And how does it assist with using energy efficiently?

Vitamin Bs are cofactors in multiple metabolic processes both anabolic and catabolic. No question they play a role. No evidence that I'm aware of that a Vitamin B shot does anything for people who aren't deficient - once you have enough, more does not seem to be better.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

I have never understood this response from keyboard warriors as it is always easier to attack the source as opposed to the data. Is the data incorrect? As I am not posting a formal rebuttal to a journal article and the question is of general use, I found a well presented tabulation of data with scientifically sound sources.

What exactly is the purpose of your post?
  • StarBrightStarBright
    StarBrightStarBright Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    lioness803 wrote: »
    Many people find it helps energy levels, and I found it helped my mood problems when I had postpartum depression...so I guess it could give you more energy to workout, but no, there's no magic fat burning properties in them.

^ this. I run deficient in D, A and skew iron deficient if I'm not careful so I take those supplements and a B (to help with the iron). The vitamins themselves do nothing to help with weightloss but they make me feel better and when I feel better, more energetic, etc then I'm more likely to be active and not comfort eat.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Is there any difference in getting vitB shots and just taking vitB tablets?
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the vitamin B complex I started taking gave me a raging appetite. I read about others with the same experience. I stopped taking them and my appetite went back to normal. That was an over the counter vitamin in pill form, though. I don't know about the injections.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I was very sick in the late 90s and received vitamins intravenously. I felt much better afterwards. I did lose weight during this time but suspect quitting drinking had a whole heck of a lot more to do with it.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    If you're on a vegan diet, you MUST supplement with B12.
    If you're vegetarian or if you eat very little meat, you might need to supplement with B12.
    If you're on a birth control pill, you most likely need to supplement with B complex.
    If you're under heavy stress, you might need to supplement with B complex.
    If you have insomnia, it might be because you're taking B complex or a multi vitamin too late in the day.

If B vitamins give your metabolism a boost, that might explain why I'm losing weight faster on a 1200 calorie diet of meat and veggies than I did several years ago when I was on a 1200 calorie vegan diet with no B supplements.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The injections are given for medically supervised super low calorie diets not to help weight loss, but because with low calorie intake, you aren't getting proper nutrition and some vitamins need to be supplemented to prevent negative health effects.