Aqua Yoga / Floating Fitness

Options
You guyyyyys...I've gone deep down into the rabbit hole into the world of Aqua Yoga / Fitness classes (where you basically do a whole class standing up on a floating foam board) but there are no classes near me. And boards are $600+! And I don't have a pool, except for the one at my gym, and I doubt I could bring my own giant foam board there.

(Here's a link to what a class looks like, in case anyone is curious what the heck I'm talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA79MJOk5GQ)

But it's got me wondering if there is a cheaper way to approximate these kinds of workouts? Like using an extra large kickboard? Or is there some other sort of "mat" I could get or rig up that would float? I'd love to find something I could stand up on and try it out at a lake or a friend's pool just to see what it feels like.

Lately I've been doing a lot of water running and standing yoga postures and it has been awesome. It's got me wanting to do more.

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I have seen stand up paddle board yoga which looks basically the same
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    I have seen stand up paddle board yoga which looks basically the same

Yep, but those boards are even more expensive than the yoga boards! I'm trying to find a cheaper workaround. I even thought of getting a boogie board, but I think it's too small / unstable.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i know this is a non-helpful post, and i know i'm a pool-hating yoga sceptic [#disclosure].

but even discounting all that, i just have to ask . . . why?

not saying you can't, or trying to talk you out of it. just saying it because it's so loud in my head i feel like you can probably hear it whether i ask it or not.

i don't think there's anything that you could really find and use easily at a public pool, because anything big enough to be applicable is almost bound to be a big pain in the butt to wrassle. but your question did remind me that when i was a kid, giant inner tubes were the focus of a lot of balance and endurance type games i used to play with myself.
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Omg that sounds so much fun!! Wish I could still do yoga! I do aqua Zumba/water aerobics and swim laps. Do you get good results from water running?
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    i know this is a non-helpful post, and i know i'm a pool-hating yoga sceptic [#disclosure].

but even discounting all that, i just have to ask . . . why?

not saying you can't, or trying to talk you out of it. just saying it because it's so loud in my head i feel like you can probably hear it whether i ask it or not.

i don't think there's anything that you could really find and use easily at a public pool, because anything big enough to be applicable is almost bound to be a big pain in the butt to wrassle. but your question did remind me that when i was a kid, giant inner tubes were the focus of a lot of balance and endurance type games i used to play with myself.

Because I'm a landlocked mermaid and if I had my way I would always, every single day, be on or in the water :)

I have a few injuries and swimming has been my favorite form of exercise for many years, but lap swimming can definitely get boring. Those classes just seem super challenging and fun and I love the idea of diving off the board at the end of a sweaty session.
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    Omg that sounds so much fun!! Wish I could still do yoga! I do aqua Zumba/water aerobics and swim laps. Do you get good results from water running?

I know!! Don't they look amazing??

I have only recently gotten back into swimming / water running after a long absence and I think that lap swimming does more for a total workout but the running is really helping me with some of my specific issues. I ended up with permanent numbness down my sciatic nerve after a back surgery and can't run on land or stand on my tiptoes, but I can do both in the pool. So I do a series of my own creation of jump lunges and backwards running and high knees and it sure does get my heart rate up. I recently added in some standard yoga moves (like standing tree pose) and really love the feeling of standing in the water while doing those moves.

• StacywithaY
    StacywithaY Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That looks super fun!

Costco has SUP boards relatively cheap... but cheap means something different to us all, right!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a landlocked mermaid and if I had my way I would always, every single day, be on or in the water :)

I have a few injuries and swimming has been my favorite form of exercise for many years, but lap swimming can definitely get boring. Those classes just seem super challenging and fun and I love the idea of diving off the board at the end of a sweaty session.

fair enough. hope you come up with an answer then.