Low carb diet

Options
What do you think about the low carb diet for long term?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Could you do it long term?

• Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    For me, Keto is a "for life goal". I just feel better overall (less inflammation / joint pain). The weight loss has been a nice benefit as well. My heart races when I eat carbs, which is weird. I am definitely *trying* to stay in the Keto camp. But, it seems to be really hard for me to do on a daily basis.

But, while my target daily carbs are 53 g, after exporting my nutrition report I seem to be averaging around 77 g carbs per day. But that is because 35 of the 92 days I logged were *way* over -- burger and fries; pizza; etc.

Here is a great website that discusses keto / ketosis:

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/11/21/How-Many-Carbs-per-Day-on-Low-Carb-Ketogenic-Diet

I am definitely in the "low carb" camp as it's defined here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Could you do it long term?

This is what it comes down to. It's all about dietary adherence.
  • LisaEatSleepRun
    LisaEatSleepRun Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    This is true. I'm not Keto, I hover around 100-150g carbs and have done for about a year and I can hand on heart say I don't miss bread, potato or rice. I struggle with pasta and pizza though. I guess I'm Italian at heart.
    Have you tried making fathead pizza? If not, google it, it is amazing! I make it regularly and have a couple of large slices with salad. As for pasta... I make zoodles (zucchini noodles), not quite the same but with a creamy sauce they can be tasty!

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    LittleL78 wrote: »
    This is true. I'm not Keto, I hover around 100-150g carbs and have done for about a year and I can hand on heart say I don't miss bread, potato or rice. I struggle with pasta and pizza though. I guess I'm Italian at heart.
    Have you tried making fathead pizza? If not, google it, it is amazing! I make it regularly and have a couple of large slices with salad. As for pasta... I make zoodles (zucchini noodles), not quite the same but with a creamy sauce they can be tasty!

I love zoodles with melted cream cheese! *drools*, but I do like fusilli pasta in a bake. There is something about pasta that you just can't replace. I keep on meaning to try fathead pizza. It's on my 'To Try' list. Along with various bread replacements for things like soups and burgers. I found cloud bread a bit 'meh'.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    For me, it's a "for life" thing. I just feel better overall (less inflammation / joint pain). The weight loss has been a nice benefit as well. My heart races when I eat carbs, which is weird.

Your not alone, mine does as well.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    moe_kwt wrote: »
    What do you think about the low carb diet for long term?

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes so its low carb for life for me if I don't want to lose body parts, go blind and die a terrible death anyway. That's just me through, YMMV.
  • eagle_74
    eagle_74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find Low Carb extremely easy Long-Term. No Binging tendencies, No food fantasies. For me Carbs always lead to the cycle of indulge, guilt, restrict, indulge.

For weight loss I do better on low-fat, high carb but it's difficult to maintain. Everyone's Different. Currently Doing Keto and enjoying the peace of mind of not being obsessed with food.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Today is day 5 doing a limited carb lifestyle. I am pretty much just having fruit for my carbs, but not any of the processed carbs. So far, I feel great doing it! My energy is up and my stomach which has been bloated for a few years is now shrinking! Yay!
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    No way Jose! I need all the carbs. To each their own.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Low carb is generally considered to be somewhere between 100 and 150g of carbs. That's a pretty doable level. It includes a lot of vegetables and some fruit. Some include grains and sugar in that but not many. Most who stay LCHF do so for the health benefits - they feel better eating that way - and sugar and grains do not always (often?) improve a person's health.

Those who stick with LCHF, for years or decades, do it for health. If you try LCHF and find it improves your health, you may stick with it. If it does nothing for your health, I doubt you would stick with it unless you prefer those foods (meats, veggies, limited fruit, eggs, nuts, seeds, seafood). Some do eat LCHF because of their dietary preferences; those people may not even realize they are LCHF because their approach to the diet was different. More natural.

ETA I have been LCHF for a couple of years, and keto for most of it. I'm a LCHF lifer. I feel MUCH better eating this way.
  • ItsBetterThisWay
    ItsBetterThisWay Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm on it and will be for life. Pros for me are satiety, calorie deficit that regulates itself, lots of tasty food, and of course my blood sugar is under control. Cons are mainly the inconvenience at times. It is a restrictive way of eating and that can mean being creative in spontaneous situations and being well prepared the rest of the time. It isn't for everyone but many people find it a good way of life and most don't really miss a lot of the carby stuff.

What's your reason for cutting out those carbs you named? Are they just too high in carbs for your liking?