What seasonal food are you eating this month?

Options

Replies

• OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    You all are fancy, huh? Summer in the southeast ... watermelons galore.
  • grammageegee
    grammageegee Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    watermelon and cantaloupe!
    So yummy right now.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Rhubarb, I stewed a load of it with cinnamon and baobab powder to add to greek yoghurt.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Right now, lots and lots of greens. Collards, chard, kale, arugula, lettuces, broccoli, strawberries. Also, radishes, carrots and beets. The cabbages and cauliflower are getting close as are the raspberries. Probably will start on those next week. The summer squash are starting to flower so may have some of those next week too.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Only new thing here since my last post is that strawberries are in.

I do love it when I finally have rhubarb and strawberries at the same time, though.
  • suryoyo85
    suryoyo85 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Strawberries
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    My mini-garden is finally starting to produce. A couple Frosted Green Doctor's cherry tomatoes have ripened (very tasty), and this morning I picked a couple Thai eggplants to add to tonight's curry.

I've got Ping Tung eggplants that are almost ready for harvest and will be ideal for stir fry and grilling, and a Mitoyo eggplant I can't wait to get my hands on so I can make eggplant parm. Mitoyo is supposed to be one of the best-tasting large eggplants. It won't be ready for another couple of weeks.

Still waiting on my beefsteak toms - they're getting to be a good size, but there's not even a slight blush of red on them yet.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    My husband just picked a few pints of juneberries from our tree. They are super sweet and tasty. I am going to make muffins with them tonight.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Strawberries
    My zucchini plants are flowering. It won't be long for zucchini muffins and stir fry
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    My mini-garden is finally starting to produce. A couple Frosted Green Doctor's cherry tomatoes have ripened (very tasty), and this morning I picked a couple Thai eggplants to add to tonight's curry.

I've got Ping Tung eggplants that are almost ready for harvest and will be ideal for stir fry and grilling, and a Mitoyo eggplant I can't wait to get my hands on so I can make eggplant parm. Mitoyo is supposed to be one of the best-tasting large eggplants. It won't be ready for another couple of weeks.

Still waiting on my beefsteak toms - they're getting to be a good size, but there's not even a slight blush of red on them yet.

I see people mentioning eggplant parm, but I've never heard of it - can you please tell me what it is?
    I've tried to google it, but I am note sure if I found the right thing - is it short for Parmigiana or Eggplant Parmesan?

I've just heard of these two versions of eggplants, so exited that you have them in your garden!

I have planted Black Beauty Eggplant which is dominate variety here and Prosperosa Eggplant (for the first year).
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    agbmom556 wrote: »
    Strawberries
    My zucchini plants are flowering. It won't be long for zucchini muffins and stir fry

Today I have found out that zucchini flowers are also edible :)
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying nectarines and strawberries right now!

I can't wait for the sweet Michigan cherry season! It's almost here!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    daneejela wrote: »
    Strawberries

They are edible and tasty. But remember, if you pick the flower you won't get fruit. But as anyone who has every grown zucchini knows one plant can yield a LOT of fruit. Eating the flowers is a great way to prevent zucchini burnout. ;)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    We got our first summer squash of the season yesterday. A grey zucchini. And the wild raspberries are starting to turn red so the race is on to see how many we get before the birds and critters eat them all.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Strawberries. I can't get enough. I pile them on a spinach salad every dinner w/ a bit of balsamic vinegarette.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Nothing right now. Strawberries in season but at $6 a pint? No thanks.

If I find leeks I might make some potato leek soup.

I need you to live down the street from me...I would totally share the, oh, 20 lbs or so of leeks that I have stuffed in the bottom of my back-up fridge, after getting all 3 of my gardens harvested!! Holy crap can those things overwinter.

I foolishly ripped out my strawberry beds last year and now am regretting it.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    had some asparagus and Brussels sprouts
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    Strawberries

They are edible and tasty. But remember, if you pick the flower you won't get fruit. But as anyone who has every grown zucchini knows one plant can yield a LOT of fruit. Eating the flowers is a great way to prevent zucchini burnout. ;)

I will pick the male blossoms (the ones that don't have the little baby squash at the base of the bloom; males will also have an, *ahem*, "stamen") and stuff them with ricotta or chevre and herbs, and fry them. If it has a "baby bump" it is left to develop into squash. I normally have so many male blossoms, I have enough to keep me entertained for culinary purposes and plenty left for fertilization.
  • French_Peasant
    Options
    @lemurcat12 I found both Florence fennel (for the bulbs) and herb fennel (bronze) to put in my garden, so will be playing around with it this year. Also, they seem to carry it at the stores I shop at--I have just never noticed it before. Now that I have noticed it, I will see if I can figure out something to do with it. :)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I see people mentioning eggplant parm, but I've never heard of it - can you please tell me what it is?
    I've tried to google it, but I am note sure if I found the right thing - is it short for Parmigiana or Eggplant Parmesan?

I've just heard of these two versions of eggplants, so exited that you have them in your garden!

I have planted Black Beauty Eggplant which is dominate variety here and Prosperosa Eggplant (for the first year).

Eggplant Parmesan and Parmigiana refer to the same type of dish, it's just that some use the Italian word for Parmesan. My version isn't quite the traditional version - I prefer not to fry the eggplant, but to bake it instead. You could easily call it a lasagna where I sub sliced eggplant for the pasta. I always liked that way better, even when I wasn't being diet-conscious.

BTW, can confirm that the Chao Praya eggplants are perfect for spicy curries, though I did a more Indian-style curry than Thai. So convenient not having to do anything to them to get rid of bitterness. Didn't even peel them, just cut in eighths (mine were on the big side) and threw them in the curry sauce to simmer.