Eating when bored?

Options
I'm I the only that does this? I notice on the weekends when I'm not working I find myself in the kitchen looking for some thing to eat. Now luckily I don't have any junk food any more but I noticed I at several string cheese and bananas this weekend. I'm just wondering if in the only one who does this

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I try to not really let myself get bored...weekends are when I can actually get out and do stuff, which is what I do.
  • chris_james17
    chris_james17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I try not to let myself be bored either. I play with my run kids take them outside push them on the swing etc. But still I seem the want to eat more when I. At home than when I'm at wirk5
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    First step is acknowledging the behavior. Step two is to find something to stop it. Find a hobby to take up that snacking time. Keep your hands busy so they can't put things in your mouth.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I'm the master at boredom eating. Just last Sunday I ate seven (7!) of those Light & Fit Greek yogurt cups with with the cookie crunchies that you can sprinkle on top. I ate them because it was the only thing in the house I could just grab and eat. They were supposed to last all week. Whoops.

I uh, try not to keep easy things to eat in the house. Fruits and vegetables don't really count 'cause yeah, I don't crave them during boredom eating because boredom eating is cravings, not actual hunger for me.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    First step is acknowledging the behavior. Step two is to find something to stop it. Find a hobby to take up that snacking time. Keep your hands busy so they can't put things in your mouth.

This is something I struggle with too. I LOVE watching movies and TV and I find it is almost Pavlovian that I start wanting to munch minutes after sitting down. I did what @Lizzy622 suggested, but I also added some at home snacks I don't mind eating like that (Trader Joe's Seaweed Snacks are savory and delicious- 60 calories for a whole packet/pre-portioned fruit (I love berries)). But I try not to rely on those things too much because the habit behind them is still there. It is better when I can fully distract myself in a hobby or by leaving the house because the grazing urge isn't there.
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I guess you are. Never have I eaten just because I'm bored nor do I do any of the things you do. I suggest you eat a good meal, then go out and be active.
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I do this too, especially on weekends because I'm a homebody and don't really enjoy going out too much. What helps me are some of the things others have said (exercising instead, finding a hobby where you can't eat at the same time, etc), but also finding foods I can snack on for a long time that don't have too many calories. It's pretty much inevitable that I'm going to eat when I'm at home watching tv, so I just try to eat the right things. Air popped popcorn is a good snack, or strawberries. Even dry cereal can allow you to munch for quite a while without consuming too many calories. The other thing I do on weekends, when I know I'll be sitting around, is use my calories mainly on snacks rather than big meals. I might only eat one substantial meal on Saturday, for example, but I'll snack for hours and still manage to stay within my calorie range.
  • chris_james17
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    I guess you are. Never have I eaten just because I'm bored nor do I do any of the things you do. I suggest you eat a good meal, then go out and be active.

I eat the same as if I was going to work. I do manual labor so M-F so come the weekend I want to spend time with the kids I don't see during the week. So outside of going outside with them or going to the park I'm at home with them. So no I don't wanna go out spend all weekend away
  • chris_james17
    Options
    Jen12143 wrote: »
    Are you actually hungry or just want to eat to eat? If you aren't hungry it's just habit, if you fill that boredom up with eating, that's what you're used to. You just need to get out of your head.

I do get hungry more so than while I'm at work.