Squats. Omg my thighs

Options
:s Are squats supposed to make my thighs feel like they're on fire the next day? I did 5 sets of 10 yesterday and oh lord I'm dying today.

Replies

• Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    They will if you aren't used to doing them.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    yes until they don't.
  • abs1970
    abs1970 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If you're using muscles you don't usually, then yep they'll be sore!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    5 sets of 10 is a lot. Are you using weights?

But yes.
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    abs1970 wrote: »
    If you're using muscles you don't usually, then yep they'll be sore!
    5 sets of 10 is a lot. Are you using weights?

But yes.

Just my body weight which is about 30# too much :s

I didn't do the sets all in a row... just when I had a little time to myself when nobody could make fun of me at work :D

Thanks guys.

• GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You did good then.
    (Don't worry. The pain eases considerably as lifting become more of your regular routine.)
  • DasItMan91
    DasItMan91 Posts: 5,753 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Once you increase your frequency, the soreness will go away. Good job though.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    ashbabe25 wrote: »
    :s Are squats supposed to make my thighs feel like they're on fire the next day? I did 5 sets of 10 yesterday and oh lord I'm dying today.

the first is the worst. then it gets less. not just 'you get used to it', it actually doesn't hurt you as much.

i'm just gonna say though since you're new to all this: if all the pain is concentrated in the front of your thighs, i.e. your quads, then your form might have been more knees-forward than it needs to be. when you get more comfortable and you've got more experience with the movement, you also learn to share the load around your entire body so that helps iwth the aftermath too.

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    ashbabe25 wrote: »

I try to think of it as good pain. And I'm feeling your pain, yesterday I did pyramid squats (started with 10 reps with the bar and as the weight goes up the rep go down), today I'm hobbling around with my upper leg and butt screaming at me.

Try and keep moving around, if you sit still it will hurt a lot more, take some anti inflamatories and I find a warm bath helps.
  • ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You guys are amazing. Thanks :)
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    It's because you did so much so soon. If you slowly ease into adding more work, it won't be as painful.