Emotional?

Options
Have any one of you really got emotional about weight loss? I have been in such a funk lately, and the scale hasn't moved. I've tried eating better and failed. I tried exercising everyday to the point I got a bit dizzy and didn't feel good, all in an attempt to lose weight. I have A LOT to lose and at my age I don't think it looks like it will happen. I wanted to maintain weight later in my years , not still trying to lose 200 lbs at (almost) 40. I've just gotten emotional thinking of all the work I have yet to do, all the years I still have to try and take it off and now I'm doubting it will happen. I am soooo jealous of all of you that can find a program and stick with it until you reach your goal

Replies

• ashbabe25
    ashbabe25 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It's constant struggle for me. I'll be 40 in June and I really worry about not being able to lose it or ending up like my grandma who struggled with her weight for years. It's hard, we can do it. It won't be easy or immediate. But ... WE CAN DO THIS :)
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there's not much you can do except be consistent about logging, staying at your calorie goal, and exercising, so being emotional won't help you. (much easier said than done though, I know :smile: ) Just stick with it, and try not to let it get to you. Try finding NSVs instead of focusing on the pounds. Also, don't work out until you get dizzy or light-headed! I have tried to do things like that, back when I was young and very uneducated about safely losing weight, and I ended up fainting face first onto a concrete floor. Be careful!
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be emotional especially for women as exercise and weight loss can mess around with hormones and we seem to be more self conscience about our looks anyway.

The biggest thing about weight loss is a calorie deficit. you talk about exercising but not about your intake outside of "eating better". Enter your current stats into MFP and set your loss to 2 lbs/week and your activity level to sedentary. Buy a food scale if you don't have one and weigh all solids, measure all liquids, and log everything that goes into your mouth. Double check all entries against the USDA website or the package (still need to weigh) to make sure you are picking the correct one. Eat back around 50% of your exercise calories to begin with and drink lots of water. If 2 lbs is too much of a cut set it to 1 lb and only eat back 25% of the exercise calories.

What you eat doesn't matter - how much of it does. At your weight (which I am guessing based on your goal of trying to lose 200 lbs) you should still have a lot of calories to eat everyday especially with the added exercise calories. Try to 80/20 plan - 80% whole fruits and veggies, lean proteins, and unrefined grains to make sure you get good nutrition and 20% whatever your favorites are. Whatever your weaknesses are - chocolate, salty snack, etc... - make sure you have something everyday that hits that zone for you. Start with your normal portion, say a Snickers bar. After you've been at it a while and have seen some losses, see if you can cut down to a snack size bar. Or only eat 1 pb cup instead of both of them in the package.

The most important thing is calorie intake vs calorie outtake. The only real way to figure out intake is to weigh, measure and log EVERYTHING
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I just eat a little less and exercise a little more, and the weight comes off slowly but steadily. Are you trying to lose too quickly? I'm sure you want to lose faster than 2 pounds a week, but if you do that for a year, that's 100 pounds. The time will pass anyway.

Also maybe just focus on 10 pounds at a time, not the whole almost 200 pounds.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    You seem to have an idea that you need to do something UNTIL you lose the weight. Thing is, you'll have to do it forever. So it would be better instead to think about how you can eat in a way that satisfies you physically and emotionally whilst staying within you calories. Accurate logging is also essential as it seems you may be eyeballing and thus eating more than you think. with 200lbs to lose it should be relatively easy to lose weight to begin with.

as for exercise, you also need to find something you enjoy and can sustain if it's something you also want to do for life, not "until" you lose weight.