portion size

Options
Hey, needed help with portions; pls post visuals of what a cup of cooked rice or pasta looks like...i am always conflicted when it comes to "eyeballing" my meal sizes. Thanks in advance...

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Get some measuring cups. You won't be able to tell based on pictures on a computer screen. :)

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It would be about the size of a clenched fist unless you have a very large or very small hand. Fill up a measuring cup with rice. Weigh it (after taring the cup). Dump the rice out on a plate in a nice pile. Compare it to the size of your fist. That will give you something to compare to when you don't have a scale handy.
  • PinkamenaD8
    PinkamenaD8 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    As they say is always better to weight, but you can search images of "300 lbs meal" or "what does 500 calories look like"

Here's a site with 200 calorie references. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-200-calories-look-like.htm
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    weigh it.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yes weighing is a good option if you don't have a food scale consider getting one.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Get some measuring cups. You won't be able to tell based on pictures on a computer screen. :)

Better option, get a food scale and weigh them before you cook them
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

Better option, get a food scale and weigh them before you cook them

For calorie counting, sure, but the OP specifically said he wants to know what one cup of these foods looks like, cooked.

• CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Weighing in grams is far more accurate, and accuracy is what makes this work. If you have to eyeball, say at a restaurant, then fists, palms, and thumb tips can be a rough guide. Try matching them up at home to known portions of foods you like to order out.

Down 140lbs: My story.