'Rolling' my ankle problems

Options
Sp1tfire
Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
So I'm not a runner. I maybe run 2 miles a week after my usual elliptical settings (with varying resistance to get in a good sweat) to get in a little impact cardio. My whole life I've rolled my ankle. Or at least I think that's what it's called. It's why I stay away from too much running. I'll be going down stairs or simply walking to class and my ankle (usually the right) will suddenly spasm with a pain that dulls and goes away after about 5-10 minutes. It hasn't happened during my runs thank heavens but is this a normal ocurrence? If not, are there ankle strengthening exercises I can do to prevent this or lessen it?
Thanks for your help!

Replies

• WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It's normal for me but I also sprained my ankle 2x inside of a month as a teen. I have no advice unfortunately but all the sympathy in the world. Hopefully someone here will have an answer.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    if you decide to run more go to a specialty sporting goods store and get fitted for shoes and explain this to the staff. They will probably have some ideas for shoes that should help as well as the strengthening moves noted above
  • roboliciousbob
    roboliciousbob Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I have been going to a chiropractor for my ankle I roll all the time. He does some cold laser thing on it that is suppose to make the ligament heal faster and then he tapes it up with K tape(which helps support it while allowing it to heal properly). I really like having the tape on, I can really feel the support as opposed to when it isn't on. I'll probably always have the chance of rolling that ankle. I'm still running (just started back up after my last injury) because I love to run. No problems so far. Right now I am just now adding strength in and I want lifting to eventually take up more of my time and do less running(hard on joints anyways). Maybe talk to a doc about it?
  • janica_233
    janica_233 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to have some new balance shoes that prevents you from rolling your ankle. They had some wider piece on the bottom of the shoe where it would prevent you from rolling your ankle or at least reduce that. Maybe that would help in the meantime?
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help everyone! I managed a 3 mile run today without rolling it. I'll talk to my doc and maybe look for some new shoes.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need some physical therapy!
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I twisted my right ankle real bad when I was in my 20's and if I stand on the side of my foot and put weight on it, it will pop right back out again.

I recently started trail running because I heard it would strengthen those muscles around ankles and knees. Started power walking the trails at first and am now up to slow pace running.

So far I have not twisted my ankle and feel like it is getting stronger.

If you want to try this make sure you get shoes that are for trail running.

I went and got a pair of these, and they are great shoes for trail running. Some of the parts have roads and they are even good for those parts.

https://altrarunning.com/men/lone-peak-30

Good luck.