Parkay 0 calorie butter spray is 832 calories a bottle!

Options

Replies

• theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    A bottle usually last me about 9 days.

Good lord. How much are you putting on at a time? I bought a bottle like 3 months ago and have barely gotten through a half inch of it. I put 10 sprays on a waffle and that is way more than enough to get that buttery taste.

It does sound a little excessive! Just think, if you stopped doing this...you'd loose 8 lbs. in one year just by not eating this 'stuff'!

I really don't know what is happening on the MFP community that makes everyone so snarky lately. I have lost 39 pounds since December of last year and 110 pounds since I started my weightloss efforts in earnest in 2006. I have not always had supportive SOs (one who stored twinkies, little debbies, chocolate donuts, and other junkfoods in her closet). My family has not been supportive either. I am relentlessly condescended by my brother for being a vegetarian. He constantly goads me that my lifestyle is unhealthy, all the while he has gained about 40 pounds in the last 2 years. . .

Yes, I use a bottle about every 9 days up to now. I was spraying a **** ton of it on air popped popcorn because the result was popcorn that tasted like movie theatre popcorn with butter. Now I'm watering down the bottles by 50%, and I'll probably taper myself off of them until I can adjust to plain air popped popcorn.

I've been steadily losing all year. Don't assume that "[I'd] lose 9 more pounds a year [if my habits were better]". You don't know me, and you know nothing of my strategies. I really can't believe how much cattiness has invaded the message boards in the brief time I've been away. . .
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I always thought it hilarious, the audacity of Pam spray to claim 'zero calories!' and 'made with real olive OIL!' on the same label. It's useful for coating pans with a thin layer of fat but being the perpetually broke college kid I am I've hit on a cheaper one: freeze blocks of beef tallow or other renderables and rub the frozen block on the pan. I tested this one out tonight making tomorrow's breakfast (pancakes!) and it seems to work pretty well.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    It's a dosage/serving issue. Not lawsuit worthy.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    One bottle of whatever spay I use, Pam maybe, lasts me about 2.5 months.

You're using it wrong. Anyone that depressed that plunger for a minute or more and is then surprised to find out it isn't 0 calories... well, my sympathy will go to kicked puppies instead. Because the puppies weren't kicked because they were completely clueless. And even if that is why they were kicked, you still shouldn't kick puppies.

Because, puppies.

4f6fd429-53cb-46f4-8bc6-add395ae6eb5_zps1cf66f5c.jpg
  • moxiecowgirl
    moxiecowgirl Posts: 291 Member
    Options

Good lord. How much are you putting on at a time? I bought a bottle like 3 months ago and have barely gotten through a half inch of it. I put 10 sprays on a waffle and that is way more than enough to get that buttery taste.

It does sound a little excessive! Just think, if you stopped doing this...you'd loose 8 lbs. in one year just by not eating this 'stuff'!

I really don't know what is happening on the MFP community that makes everyone so snarky lately. I have lost 39 pounds since December of last year and 110 pounds since I started my weightloss efforts in earnest in 2006...

I've been steadily losing all year. Don't assume that "[I'd] lose 9 more pounds a year [if my habits were better]". You don't know me, and you know nothing of my strategies. I really can't believe how much cattiness has invaded the message boards in the brief time I've been away. . .

Maybe I'm crazy, but I don't see anything snarky about what that person said. A bottle of spray margarine in 9 days IS excessive. The fact that you're losing steadily is great, but doesn't negate the fact that you probably WOULD lose more if you cut this product out. You weren't criticised, told you were wrong, or called names. On the MFP snark scale, this doesn't even qualify as slow pitch softball. It certainly didn't warrant that outburst. Numbers are numbers, and you're not a special snowflake.

Congratulations on your impressive loss, and I wish you continued success...honestly, no snark intended. :flowerforyou:
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    How about skipping the chemical laden spray "butter" crap all together and using less of the good stuff. In my experience, the chemical stuff messes with taste. It is distorts it so you get used to everything being so over saturated with one flavor, anything else tastes bland without lots of extra put on. Sodas do the same thing, doesn't matter if it is diet or regular. Stop trying to make movie style popcorn healthy. It just isn't. Instead try using less real butter or some of the toppings in the link below. They have more calories, but will be way more flavorful and satisfying

http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/cooking-ideas/25-easy-delicious-ways-flavor-popcorn-without-salt
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    A bottle usually last me about 9 days. That's only about 100 calories a day. But they're what I used to call "crypto calories." For a while I never counted things like carrots, celery, or sugar-free jello. Then I realized that that decision led me to eat so much of those foods that the hidden calories were adding up. For a while I tracked all the "crypto calories" in the notes section for all the foods that I previously never counted. The tally reached 200 to 300 per day. Then I stopped keeping the tally in the notes but kept counting them from then on.

I only elected not to count certain low calorie foods because I was adapting the MFP site to how some parts of WeightWatchers worked. WW had zero point foods, so I had done the same here. . .
    200 calories of carrots is around 500 grams, or over a pound.

You ate a pound of carrots a day??

I never said that I ate a pound of carrots a day. The story was that people on WeightWatchers would eat tons of carrots but then nearly rioted in the streets when WW announced that carrots were no longer zero calories. Read more closely. . .

What I said was that the "crypto calories" I was tracking would add up to 200 to 300 calories a day. That included carrots, sugar free jellos (made double strength in a container, thus 80 calories a piece sometimes), sometimes apples, etc. . .
    I'd hardly call those crypto calories, if you chose to ignore that you ate an entire package of Jello in one sitting. Yikes.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options

I really don't know what is happening on the MFP community that makes everyone so snarky lately. I have lost 39 pounds since December of last year and 110 pounds since I started my weightloss efforts in earnest in 2006. I have not always had supportive SOs (one who stored twinkies, little debbies, chocolate donuts, and other junkfoods in her closet). My family has not been supportive either. I am relentlessly condescended by my brother for being a vegetarian. He constantly goads me that my lifestyle is unhealthy, all the while he has gained about 40 pounds in the last 2 years. . .

Yes, I use a bottle about every 9 days up to now. I was spraying a **** ton of it on air popped popcorn because the result was popcorn that tasted like movie theatre popcorn with butter. Now I'm watering down the bottles by 50%, and I'll probably taper myself off of them until I can adjust to plain air popped popcorn.

Just so you know...I never meant any 'snarkyness' your way. I know everyone is on their own journey and you were just commenting on your newly discovered knowledge about the things you were partaking in. I was just sharing my 'two cents' too. You sound determined to 'get there'. Great job on the accomplishments thus far...Keep going:)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I find the fact that there are so many people who actually thought it is calorie free no matter the amount is more disturbing than the fact that the label says fat-free and calorie-free.

Does no one read the ingredient labels? Or do these people actually believe there is fat-free calorie-free oil?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I have used this stuff before....but I never went through a bottle in a week, and there was three of us using it.

Also, it is a really good thing you are using it up fast. I had a bottle that hadn't been used in a couple months, and it wouldn't spray. So I opened it.
    YIKES.
    Looked like soap scum/hard water build up. Actual deposits of yuck.

^so that wasn't a hint that maybe you shouldn't put it in your body? But instead one should eat more, faster.... Wow.

Another lesson to read ingredients. Please, read ingredients on the stuff you put in your body. Better yet, know what the ingredients are. And consider that there are ingredients that companies don't even have to list.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Well why not?

There is fat free cheese, fat free yogurt and all sorts of other fat free dairy products. Why not fat free butter too?

Once the fat is gone the calories will just hop off too, won't they?

Eurgh!
  • pluckabee
    pluckabee Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think you make a really good point here about how the layperson is being manipulated into thinking they are being healthy and eating less by marketing strategies and poor information

A lot of people just don't know what calories are or what calories are for because the information out there is SO simplified that it has because useless at best and detrimental at worse.

There are some people that, when trying to lose weight, think they have to burn all of the calories they eat through extra cardio activity because they just don't understand what calories are or what they are for. And it isn't their fault. At what point are you meant to think that something is weird about it and ask any different if they are running on the 'everyone knows' logic.

If someone doesn't really know anything about calories other than 'eat less of them' then a 0 calorie option is going to look good to them. They don't know that fat has 9 calories per gram, thats something that we here all had to actively go and find out to learn. They might not even know that soy bean oil is a fat, or if they do know it's a fat they might think it's a low calorie fat (remember, most people don't know that macronutrients have fixed calories per gram and there has been no reason or opportunity for them to find this out) because it's not an unhealthy fat like butter is. They can only assume the package is being honest because of course there are regulations about these things and they aren't allowed to lie

The lay person doesn't know that 'healthy' oils have pretty much the same calorie content as 'unhealthy' oils and so will glug out over 3 tablespoons of it when cooking or dressing something, whereas if they used something like butter they would have used caution because they know it's 'unhealthy'.

All of this simple relative information isn't helping anybody. I think most people here on mfp who are doing well had to go out and discover extra stuff that they never knew before. Stuff they wouldn't have even thought of asking before.

Because people read bad articles about food and nutrition and depend on 'everyone knows' logic to get them by people are doing badly without knowing why at all!! And of course everyone knows that olive oil, avocados and low fat foods like pasta and and low fat yoghurt (pumped full of sugar by the way, to get the flavour back and may not even be lower calorie) are good for you! Everyone knows! So people eat them with abandon because they want to be healthy. Because that's the advice. Eat this not that, so I guess I'll eat ALL OF THIS because it's good for me and if it's good for me I'm going to lose weight.

I want to just get rid of the idea of 'healthy foods' and 'unhealthy foods'. In my view there is only 'food' and 'poison'. Don't eat poison. Don't eat more food than you need.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.

I wonder about the diet ready meals. But the logic of it is really strong.

Lots of people who are obese don't cook from scratch but use tins, bottles, ready meals and junk food. Diet companies know a thing or two about psychology so they design low cal, fat free versions - crisps, chocolate, dairy all sorts of products.

So what does a non cooking obese person learn about food choices? Nothing but which brand to pick.

No-one stops to wonder why the packs are smaller than 'real' food. No-one stops to wonder why they are still buying them 5 years later.

Well I wondered... then again I cook. And I make my own spray oil.
  • Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    ((Slowly removes straw from bottle of parkay butter spray))) .......craaaaaaaaaap.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Oh snap... You know I was just wondering how sprays could be 0cals the other day....
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    From the FDA.
    N7. When the caloric value for a serving of a food is less than 5 calories, can the actual caloric value be declared?

Answer: The caloric value of a product containing less than 5 calories may be expressed as zero or to the nearest 5 calorie increment (i.e., zero or 5 depending on the level). Foods with less than 5 calories meet the definition of “calorie free” and any differences are dietarily insignificant. 21 CFR 101.9(c)(1)

On a similar note, Vlasic whole dill pickles are listed as zero calories per serving. Of course, a serving is 1 oz of a pickle. Like anyone only eats 1 oz of a pickle. Not THAT is lawsuit worthy!!

'Aint NOBODY got time fo' a 1oz pickle!!!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If you've resorted to watering down "zero-calorie butter spray", you've taken calorie counting to a whole new level. I fully support your right to do so, but it's a bit extreme.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    (4) For dietary supplements, claims regarding calories may not be made on products that meet the criteria in 101.60(b)(1) or (b)(2) for "calorie free" or "low calorie" claims except when an equivalent amount of a similar dietary supplement (e.g., another protein supplement) that the labeled food resembles and for which it substitutes, normally exceeds the definition for "low calorie" in 101.60(b)(2).

(b)Calorie content claims. (1) The terms "calorie free," "free of calories," "no calories," "zero calories," "without calories," "trivial source of calories," "negligible source of calories," or "dietarily insignificant source of calories" may be used on the label or in the labeling of foods, provided that:

(i) The food contains less than 5 calories per reference amount customarily consumed and per labeled serving.

(ii) As required in 101.13(e)(2), if the food meets this condition without the benefit of special processing, alteration, formulation, or reformulation to lower the caloric content, it is labeled to disclose that calories are not usually present in the food (e.g., "cider vinegar, a calorie free food").

So honestly the easy answer for anyone stressing here is this: count all things that list 0 calories as 5.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options

We are snarky because we be hungry....lol
  • Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    From the FDA.
    N7. When the caloric value for a serving of a food is less than 5 calories, can the actual caloric value be declared?

Answer: The caloric value of a product containing less than 5 calories may be expressed as zero or to the nearest 5 calorie increment (i.e., zero or 5 depending on the level). Foods with less than 5 calories meet the definition of “calorie free” and any differences are dietarily insignificant. 21 CFR 101.9(c)(1)

On a similar note, Vlasic whole dill pickles are listed as zero calories per serving. Of course, a serving is 1 oz of a pickle. Like anyone only eats 1 oz of a pickle. Not THAT is lawsuit worthy!!
    When did anything less than 5 = 0 ?! I'm not a math major but ..........