How much fruit is considered too much fruit?

Options
I know that eating fruits is really healthy and important, but i also know that eating too much might not be so good because of its sugar content. Everyday I usually eat three pieces of fruit, so like around 3-4 servings (while staying within my calorie range). I'm wondering if that's too much? Because the recommended servings is like 2, for my age.

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Unless you have specific health/dietary considerations or you're eating fruit to the exclusion of other macro goes you've set up, such as protein, don't think it really makes a difference.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If eating that much fruit is preventing you getting sufficient protein, fat and fibre, then it's too much. Vegies are generally more nutrient dense, but nothing wrong with enjoying fruit!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If eating that much fruit is preventing you getting sufficient protein, fat and fibre, then it's too much. Vegies are generally more nutrient dense, but nothing wrong with enjoying fruit!

Yes, definitely this. I still get plenty of protein and fat, so eating my fill of fruit causes no issues in that department.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fruit throughout the day. Like Christine_72, I also had a blood panel done last week and my doctor said the results were "boring", which is definitely a good thing! Just make sure you are getting sufficient protein and fats. Fruit has lots of good nutrients and vitamins, too!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are crowding out your protein and your fats, it's too much.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you eat so much that it prevents you from getting the recommended amounts of other things while staying within your TDEE then you are eating too much. Otherwise, eat as much as you want.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,152 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 pieces of fruit a day. Seems to be all right.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Some say they eat plenty of fruit and rattle off cucumber, tomato and bell peppers as the fruit they eat. I know that technically these are fruit as they have seeds on the inside but nutritionally they are more like vegetables. If you put these in the fruit catergory my fruit intake is through the roof. However, if like most you say they are vegetables then I normally have two serves of fruit a day. It has not impeded my weight loss in the slightest. I love my fruit.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Curious, what age limits fruit to 2 servings? That's like for toddlers, not adults.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    There is no limit of 2, are you sure? Do you have medical issues with special restrictions? The recommendation is 5-6 servings of fruit AND vegetables and I doubt many people exceed this (most do not come anywhere close). If you are diabetic, then portions of fruit should be spaced throughout the day along with other carbs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I was in Costa Rica for 6 weeks once and ate a ton of fruit. I dropped a size. I can't say exactly how much weight I lost, as I wasn't actively trying to lose weight, and didn't even own a scale at the time. I had unlimited access to amazingly yummy peak ripeness fruit, and no access to higher calorie ice cream, chocolate, baked goods, pizza, etc.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I feel like "too much fruit" is an oxymoron. Is there such a thing? Just kidding. As long as you're not crowding out necessary levels of protein and fat and you don't have a disease that requires watching glycemic levels, eat as much as you would like. Eating sugar does not cause type II diabetes - high weight, low activity, and genetic history cause type II diabetes. Having to limit sugar is an issue with diabetes, but only if you actually have it. If you don't, your body is capable of properly regulating the sugars you ingest.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Depends on you. How much room do you have to get in your protein and fat if you eat that much? Does that much fruit help with satiety? For me, I prefer no fruit. I force myself to eat it for fiber. I'd rather have protein and fat and get my carbs from veggies and treats.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    There is no limit of 2, are you sure? Do you have medical issues with special restrictions? The recommendation is 5-6 servings of fruit AND vegetables and I doubt many people exceed this (most do not come anywhere close). If you are diabetic, then portions of fruit should be spaced throughout the day along with other carbs.

Depends on the country - Australia has a "2+5 every day" campaign, being 2 serves of fruit and 5 serves of vegetables.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you're healthy, it's only too much if it puts you over your calories, crowds out other important macros such as protein and fat, or if eating fruits leaves you hungry and you have no calories left for foods that help you feel full. Other than that, eat away. Some days I eat one serving of fruit other days I eat 10, makes no difference either way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I was in Costa Rica for 6 weeks once and ate a ton of fruit. I dropped a size. I can't say exactly how much weight I lost, as I wasn't actively trying to lose weight, and didn't even own a scale at the time. I had unlimited access to amazingly yummy peak ripeness fruit, and no access to higher calorie ice cream, chocolate, baked goods, pizza, etc.

I had a similar experience in Nicaragua. Delicious fruit. ;-)

As others have said, OP, too much fruit would be so much that you aren't eating enough protein or fat or are going over calories or are not getting in enough veg. I tend to not like the recommendations that group fruit and veg since I think veg are more important and some will avoid them thinking fruit is sufficient, but I wouldn't consider 2 as a hard limit if you are getting plenty of vegetables, the other nutrients I mentioned, and not overeating.

I eat way more fruit in the summer than the winter (or early spring, as it still is here), just because I mostly like local in-season fruit.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    I wish sugar from fruit was my biggest problem lol.
    If your belly hurts, then you've had too much.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

Hahaha came to say this. When you're pooping yourself inside out, maybe scale the fruit back a tad.