Failing a class and so depressed :(

Options
This is bringing everything up right now :/ I am used to straight As and maybe a B here or there and now Im failing Anatomy and worse yet Im a Pre-Pharmacy major so I need a good grade in it. I have to ace my final which will not happen in order to pass. My teacher was really bad and I didnt learn anything and Im so down right now.... Dont know if I want to stop eating all together or gorge but I surely feel like garbage. :(

Replies

• Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Been there done that! I had to retake a&p. can withdraw and turn it to an audit??
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Fflpnari wrote: »
    Been there done that! I had to retake a&p. can withdraw and turn it to an audit??

Cant withdraw anymore :/ I hate this class. It is A&P. doesnt help my teacher is really bad and doesnt really teach plus we get pretty much no credit for our HW or quizzes. I got As on each small quiz and 100% on my HW assignments but because I got Cs and Ds on the exams Im failing. Homework and quizzes combined is only like 10-12% of our grade and I have an anxiety disorder and do bad on long exams unless I love the topic. I hate anatomy its boring! I have an A in Chem and an A or B in French but it wont matter this will ruin my GPA and I need a good one because I only have ONE option for PharmD school which is Creighton because I cant do 40hrs a week with my kids :/
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I get stressed about grades too, and often think about eating myself better. Thankfully I have a husband who refuses to let me in the kitchen when I get like that and tells me eating isn't the answer!

Could you get a tutor - perhaps some class mates are in the same position and could all contribute to some tutor led study sessions?
  • Verity1111
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I get stressed about grades too, and often think about eating myself better. Thankfully I have a husband who refuses to let me in the kitchen when I get like that and tells me eating isn't the answer!

Could you get a tutor - perhaps some class mates are in the same position and could all contribute to some tutor led study sessions?

Can't. No time. Im 27 3 kids 2 with disabilities therapy in home 3 times a week + my son goes to therapeutic PreK 2 days a week and my daughter is in kindergarten at a different school. Its already near impossible going to school 3 days a week :/. Wish I could get an online tutor lol
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to offer *hugs*...!

I don't know if this is of any help to you at all, but Khan Academy offers free online courses and has some anatomy and physiology ones. Not sure if they're the level you need, but it might be worth a look?

https://www.khanacademy.org/science/health-and-medicine
  • Verity1111
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »

I don't know if this is of any help to you at all, but Khan Academy offers free online courses and has some anatomy and physiology ones. Not sure if they're the level you need, but it might be worth a look?

Thank you. I only have 2 days before my final but I will see if I can spend all day tomorrow on there. lol.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

I was about to suggest khan too.... They've saved me lots of times!

Also, more hugs!
  • Verity1111
    Options

Also, more hugs!

Thank you. Hopefully it works. idk if it will be the same stuff or not my teacher is pretty weird with how she teaches and her exams are strange.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Also, more hugs!

Thank you. Hopefully it works. idk if it will be the same stuff or not my teacher is pretty weird with how she teaches and her exams are strange.

I find a different approach to explaining stuff often helps me understand things better. It won't help the exam writing ability of the lecturer... But at least it might help you feel more confident with the subject. Good luck!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I'm an HIM major and it took me two tries to get through the first anatomy class I had to take. Thankfully the second professor gave more detailed notes to follow.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,472 Member
    Options
    Anatomy is memorization. If you google it, there are various sites with study aids.

Sounds like you've dug a hole for yourself. However, the future is unknown. Youdon't really know if you can dig yourself out or not.

Telling yourself you can't just increases your anxiety. Anxiety is a concentration killer. Try hard and do your best. Either you will surprise yourself and pass or go down fighting.

I struggle with anxiety. When I am able to be absorbed in work I find some relief. Good luck.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Your best option (Although certainly not the easiest) is to neither starve nor gorge yourself but stick to as reasonable a diet as you can manage right now and weather the storm. I'm sorry you've had such a tough semester. It's not over yet. Study and hopefully you'll do well enough on the final to squeak by.

What's the worst case scenario if you do fail? Can you retake the class, hopefully with a different instructor? School with high needs kids is tough. Hang in there!
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »

Can't. No time. Im 27 3 kids 2 with disabilities therapy in home 3 times a week + my son goes to therapeutic PreK 2 days a week and my daughter is in kindergarten at a different school. Its already near impossible going to school 3 days a week :/. Wish I could get an online tutor lol

There are online tutors. You may have access through your school. I work at a community college, and our students can access online tutors.

Many of our nursing students have to retake a&p, some more than once. Have a good cry, then try the course again. Best of luck.
  • ElegantCircuitry
    ElegantCircuitry Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm going through something similar. If I end up passing my data structures class, I'm going to pass it by the skin of my teeth.

Life sorta got in the way for me. I had a bit of a false start to the semester with a lot of family turmoil, and it sorta set the tone for the rest of the semester.

I would say the best thing you can do is youtube videos. I have an associates in science so I took A&P as a credit class (I knew I wanted to do something STEM but I was feeling out everything to see where I'd end up), and youtube videos were honestly my savior.

If all else fails, the best advice I can give you is this. Failing, and learning to accept failure gracefully and take a lesson away from it (no matter what that lesson may be) is just as much a part of being successful as succeeding is. My java teacher, who's like a programming WHIZ failed precalc not once, not twice, but three times before he succeeded. How you feel right at this very moment will likely be NO reflection on the end of your academic journey.

And this is a tidbit of advice from myself, one that I need to learn to follow too: Forgive yourself. Go easy on yourself. It sounds like your home life can be a bit tumultuous, and even if we like to think differently, we are all very much human.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I realize it's a little late if your exam is in 2 days, but if you have a diagnosed anxiety disorder, your school should have a disability coordinator who can help you get more time on your exams, or even a quiet room if you need one.

I sympathize. I have a Psych teacher this semester who teaches using YouTube videos, but I'm hearing impaired and YouTube's auto-generated captions are are terrible. I've gotten nothing out of her class, except that experimenting on babies is kind of messed up.
  • Sofondapeters
    Sofondapeters Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You've got this! EVERYONE fails a class, or two. Most have to retake at least one section of O chem. If I had a dollar for every scientist, M.D., and pharmacist I know who had to retake classes, I'd be rich. It feels awful, but a blip on your transcript is not only ok, but expected. Some schools prefer people without perfect grades, it shows they are human, and I can guarantee the people screening apps and interviewing have been there. Good luck.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Anatomy is memorization. If you google it, there are various sites with study aids.

Sounds like you've dug a hole for yourself. However, the future is unknown. Youdon't really know if you can dig yourself out or not.

Telling yourself you can't just increases your anxiety. Anxiety is a concentration killer. Try hard and do your best. Either you will surprise yourself and pass or go down fighting.

I struggle with anxiety. When I am able to be absorbed in work I find some relief. Good luck.

I memorize very easily so its more than that. My teacher doesnt stick to the material in the book and her answers dont always fit what our book says either. I just emailed her about that actually.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I'm sorry you're having trouble. I'm as college instructor, and I know some teachers and more effective than others, but please don't blame the teacher unless most students fail every term. I assume you have a textbook and there are a gazillion Internet resources available to help in A&P. Since you're otherwise an A student And now you're familiar with the test format, there'sthere's still opportunity to do well on the final. Don't give up now.

She said our average on the last exam was a D. So can I blame her? lol. It's always that way.