Losing a lot, then gaining a little?

Options
Hi! Here's a bit about me. I started here in September and have lost 32 lbs. I run 3x a week, do strength training 2x a week, and try to be as accurate as possible with my logging. I have my deficit set to 2 lbs/week and weigh 232 lbs. My activity level is set to lightly active and I eat back all of my exercise calories.

The question I have is referring the report graph. I was looking at it and realized that there's a pattern to my weight loss. Namely, I'll be accurate with my logging for a week, lose 3-4 lbs, eat over for a week (near maintenance or a little above) because I'm hungry, gain 1-2 lbs, and then repeat. Because of this, I'm averaging about 1 lb/loss a week.

Is this a 'good' way to lose weight? Is there anything that would make my loss more consistent or is that just the way my body works? I don't feel deprived or anything, so why does it do that?

It's kind of irrational, but I just hate seeing the scale go up that one week. I've tried eating closer to maintenance consistently, but I still end up feeling really hungry about every other week...

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You're a woman. You'll gain before your period. I only lose the week after my period, then gain/maintain for a couple weeks (I get hungrier too with ovulation/PMS), then lose again after my period.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My appetite and weight goes up when I ovulate and premenstrually. I eat at maintenance for a few days around my TOM.

If the overall trend is down, I'm happy.

60lq93os15bc.png
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    My chart looks similar to the above, and I can't blame TOM as I'm a guy.

Just how it is.

But you might try eating a bit more on your good weeks to avoid overeating on the bad weeks. But you've lost 32 lbs, so it's not like what your are doing isn't working.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much exactly how my loss went for the whole year it took. Down a pound, down another, up one or two, down a couple, way down, up one, over and over. I'd post my graph but it would be redundant, I think you'll find they all look like that one above.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If u eat near maintenance after eating in defict you'll see the weight gain in water weight, but that's about it. I do this all the time and it works for me... because the ongoing defict just isn't for me
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Losing one pound a week means that you are doing well.
  • SuccessJMG
    SuccessJMG Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different, but I have had the same pattern. I would be perfectly on plan, but I would gain a pound or two and get so discouraged. But then, if I stuck with it, I'd drop what I gained and then some - without changing a thing. That's why trends are more important than the fluctuations.