Dieting During Ramadan!!

Options
Ramadan (fasting month for Muslims) is coming soon, and I wanted to know how you dieters approach this.
. What are your typical meals for suhur and iftar? Do you workout during the fast or after you break it? I researched that working out on an empty stomach burns more fat, but I wonder what works well for you guys. And uh, my family usually cooks fried or fatty foods for iftar...and I wonder if its okay to have it while keeping portions and calories in mind. If I can avoid eating it and substitute it for something else, I will. Suhur won't be a problem for me because I will usually just make my own, light meal. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I eat what I normally eat (generally), but I eat at maintenance and really focus on protein, fat and micro nutrients. It's just my husband, kids and I so I don't feel the need to eat heavy sweets, or traditional food that my inlaws have made us before. No one visits us during Ramadan and we don't visit anyone so there is no pressure to stuff my face.

I really don't exercise during Ramadan, unless I get a burst of energy. I have to wake up early to get my kids ready for school in the am, then entertain a toddler, so my concern is more about getting enough sleep rather than getting a good work out.
  • incisron
    incisron Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hi. :). I don't think I'll be working out during Ramadan. And this will be my first Ramadan where I actually eat healthy since I had a hard time the last Ramadan in which I was trying to lose weight, but I guess I'll be eating what I usually eat - fruit, eggs, oatmeal and lots of water.
    I personally don't eat fried foods after a day of fasting or very fatty meals because I'm extremely hungry abd want to make the most of my calories, but it's up to you. As long as you're careful about calories and the fried and fatty foods don't leave you hungry because you had to eat them in small amounts compared to the lighter foods, you should still lose weight.
  • Halal_moose
    Halal_moose Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to work out after fajr and found I was beast with the weights. Only hard part was not having water and gym music kills the imaan. I also got the jitters from not being able to eat till later
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I plan on having more protein shakes at suhur and iftar. I doubt I'll do any working out, aside from walking
  • haloosh
    haloosh Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My first Ramadan on calorie counting and exercise. I think if I manage to squeeze in a 30 min treadmill workout right before iftar, it may go a long way.. all this is hypothetical of course. Planning to focus on proteins at sohoor and healthy at iftar