Life is exciting! Yay cake!

Options
I get excited about things. I get excited about a tasty new beer I haven't tried. I get excited about new office equipment at work. I get excited about celebratory cake. I get excited about a new trailer for a movie I want to see. I get excited about wine and cheese. I get excited about doing my training run faster than I anticipated. I get excited about treats at the office. I get excited about spontaneous adventures.

In some of those moments of excitement, there are no negative consequences. And in other moments, the consequence is that I'll eat or drink something that wasn't part of my plan for the day, like donuts in the office. Or an exciting event will pop up and I'll skip my workout to participate. I'm not losing weight. I've been losing and gaining the same 5 pounds for over a year now. These exciting food and drink moments are why. I celebrate everything because everything is worth celebrating. Life is exciting! Yay cake!

My questions for you:

Do you have any tricks you use to prevent the, "yay cake!" moments? I get excited about things and will eat or drink something delicious before I even consider calories and whatnot.

How do you keep yourself mentally motivated to lose weight and get in shape at all times... Regardless of how tired, busy, or excited you are?

How do you keep you eye on the prize even when there's cheese and wine between you and the prize?

How do you navigate social situations?

How do you navigate the spontaneous social situations or other random events that pop up unexpectedly?

Other than "plan ahead," what advice do you have for someone who works two busy jobs and has a pretty active social/adventure life with her new husband? (Seriously, I'm either working or celebrating something. Not a bad life, but I would like to lose a few pounds)

Replies

• Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I mean, long story short..Moderation

Moderate wine, moderate cheese, moderate indulgence in office food.

Cutting your consumption of these things in half, while doubling your activity output will get you on the right path. you don't need to hole yourself up and become a hermit just because you're trying to lose weight. instead of a cube of cheese every few sips of wine, have one and savor the way it tastes with the wine more. sometimes it's more satisfying to enjoy small portions of quality food than eat a large quantity of food that will bring on feelings of guilt or self-deprecation.

i get on rollercoasters of motivation. just set a goal for yourself, something like signing up for a 10k a few weeks or months from now. that way you'll be working towards something. or tell yourself that you're going to run 30 minutes straight in X amount of weeks and work toward it. i find it's much easier to stay motivated when i'm looking at a goal, then once i achieve that goal, move on to a bigger one that will get you on your way to your ultimate goal - losing that 38 pounds that you want to.

life's really too short to not be exactly who you want to be, but life also gets in the way sometimes. i was at my goal a few months and now here i am starting over again - but getting anxious over it isn't going to help anything. one day at a time, one goal at a time. the time will pass whether you're eating healthy and exercising or not. example: remember that cheeseburger you ate 58 days ago? no, of course you don't. it's instant gratification...but was it really worth it now that its weeks later and you're back at the starting line because of too many choices like that?

i can't make you want it, that has to come from within. but rationalizing with myself is something that helps me personally.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    After all that celebrating, isn't the cake getting a little old? I mean, if you eat a balanced diet with enough calories, sometimes you will just not feel like consuming something just because it looks yummy. During the weeks where there is wall-to-wall premium cupcakes at work, I eat the full cupcake the first day and am down to two bites on day three. Make sure you are eating right at all times. Then, make sure you budget for your celebrations - and then stick to your budget.

Exercise is like flossing. You do it because you're an adult. There are things that make flossing more fun and going to the dentist regularly can be motivational. But, if you want teeth, you're going to suck it up and floss regardless of business, tiredness or excitement.

Navigating social situations is easy. "Wow, that looks fantastic. I just ate and can't handle another bite." Like the song says..."you don't have to take your. clothes off. to have a good time. oh no. you can dance and party all night..."