2 oz of uncooked spaghetti = how many oz cooked?

Biochemic
Biochemic Posts: 2 Member
edited April 2017 in Food and Nutrition
My mum made spaghetti using the protein plus spaghetti from Barillla and the box says a serving size is 2 oz. I'm guessing(and hoping lol) that that is for when it is dry. I looked online to see how much that should equal cooked but all I got is the answer: one cup. I was wondering how much 2 oz of dry spaghetti would weight in ounces when it's cooked.

Thanks!

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    I think I've seen others say pasta about doubles in size once cooked. So go with 4 oz cooked, maybe a little less.

If you have the chance sometime, try weighing out 2 oz dry, then cook it up and weigh it after. If you get the same kind of pasta and/or find that it's fairly consistent weight after cooking, you'll be able to weigh it cooked when multiple portions are cooked at once!

~Lyssa
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    120g is an average in my experience.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    I weigh the dry pasta then weigh the cooked pasta and devide the total weight by how many servings it is and eat one serving.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    edited April 2017
    There is a math equation somewhere here on the forums but I can never find it when I'm looking for it. What I did was cook 2ozs and then weighed it. For me it's a 148 grams for Protein Plus Thin Spaghetti. I've done this with all types of pasta, rice and hot cereal I use. As long as you're cooking time is consistent it will be about as close as you can get without having to cook your serving separate. I've stuck by the numbers I came out with for years and have done alright. (We eat a LOT of pasta in my house). If anything I may end up with a little less than a serving if I wasn't right on getting the pasta out on time.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Biochemic wrote: »
    My mum made spaghetti using the protein plus spaghetti from Barillla and the box says a serving size is 2 oz. I'm guessing(and hoping lol) that that is for when it is dry. I looked online to see how much that should equal cooked but all I got is the answer: one cup. I was wondering how much 2 oz of dry spaghetti would weight in ounces when it's cooked.

Thanks!

Depends on how long you cook it. Pasta that is al dente will weigh less than pasta that is cooked until it is softer because of the amount of water absorbed. IIRC, a serving of cooked is considered a cup. I do not recommend using measuring cups but sometimes it is the only way to get in the ballpark.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    I weigh the dry pasta then weigh the cooked pasta and devide the total weight by how many servings it is and eat one serving.

Yup
    Do this with everything I cook
    I usually write the serving weight on the baggie or container once it's done so I can easily weigh out whenever I want more.
    Or make a quick recipe and make the serving size the total weight of the cooked product
    Once you get used to it it's super easy, and I find I usually get a larger serving when I weigh vs estimate
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    slaite1 wrote: »

Yup
    I usually write the serving weight on the baggie or container once it's done so I can easily weigh out whenever I want more.
    Or make a quick recipe and make the serving size the total weight of the cooked product
    Once you get used to it it's super easy, and I find I usually get a larger serving when I weigh vs estimate

Same here, but I always cook the same brand the same amount of time so it's usually similar enough that 2g difference won't be a big deal.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    slaite1 wrote: »

Yup

Same here, but I always cook the same brand the same amount of time so it's usually similar enough that 2g difference won't be a big deal.

I have never thought to standardize it...
    Life just got easier
  • UnicornAmandaPanda
    UnicornAmandaPanda Posts: 161 Member
    I am not positive but I just go with 1 cup of any pasta is 2 oz lol so 1 cup is typically 200-210 calories
  • LyssaJ1
    LyssaJ1 Posts: 240 Member
    The last time I was hard-core, extremely-carb-controlling, I looked at the Mueller's box for serving size, and then read all the nutrition label, and proceeded to get really bummed. I was like, "That's it?! How is *that* a "serving size"? Is it for a bird?!" It's still a lil bit daunting/depressing at times, but hey...at least having *some pasta* is better than *no pasta* (which my Type 1 diabetic husband has sadly gotten to.)