LOW FAT SNACKS

Options
Sometimes we get hungary in between meals, and we need a quick bite to eat. We might want to grab a quick snack at a fast food place or vending machine, but before you do that, here are some tips for how to choose healthy snacks instead.

SMALL MEALS
1.) Mix lowfat cottage cheese with pineapple or other fruit, like apples or berries
2.) Baked Potatoes with lowfat yogurt or cottage cheese and salsa
3.) Mini pizza; spread pizza sacue & lowfat cheese onto a piece of bread & bake until cheese is melted. Also try, topping with veggies
4.) Whole grain or pita bread sandwich with lean meat like chicken or turkey, nonfat mayo or only mustard & salsa, lettuce, tomatoes & peppers
5.) Bean Burrito with lettuce, tomato & salsa (dont add cheese, sour cream or guacamole)

MUNCHIES
1.) Fruit is always healthy, like apples, bananas, pears,melons and strawberries (cut them up so theyre easier to eat) Veggies like cucumbers, celery, and green peppers can be prepared the same way.
2.) Air Popped popcorn (no butter)
3.) Lowfat pretzels
4.) Baked chips or baked tortilla chips instead of regular fried ones
5.) Baby Carrots
6.) Small Cherry tomatoes
7.) Lowfat Mozzarella cheese
8.) Lowfat crackers
9.) Nonfat or lowfat milk
10.) Glass of 100% fruit or vegetable juice

GOT A SWEET TOOTH?
1.) Lowfat granola bars can be found in all different flavors, like raisin, chocolate chips and smore's.
2.)Nonfat or lowfat frozen yogurt, or fruit sherbet instead of ice-cream
3.) Smoothies with nonfat or lowfat milk or yogurt
4.)Fig Bars are a good substitute for candy bars
5.) Angel food cake with strawberries
6.) Lowfat pudding
7.)Jello
8.)Frozen grapes

**REMEMBER PORTION SIZES***
1 1/2 oz of cheese is like 3 dominos, 3oz of meat is the size of a deck of cards.

Replies

• emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I really like this new snack I found called somersaults.
  • KokowithaK
    KokowithaK Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Great list, although I would rethink the Angel Food Cake as it usually requires 1-2 cups of sugar to make.
  • SarahRose35
    SarahRose35 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Why low fat? Fat isn't bad...
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I like Sprout's low fat cereal bars (strawberry and blueberry). They do have cane sugar which, while natural sugar is just as bad as refined sugar as far as I know. Overall, 140 cal. per bar.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    For newbies ................low fat does NOT always equal lower calorie

READ labels. Sometimes sugar (and other crap) has been added to frozen yogurt or ice cream to make up for the "non-fat" aspect. I've found "low fat" ice cream to be the same calories as regualr fat ice cream. Soft serve ice cream is often low fat (ice milk) .... McDonald's vanilla cone is 150 calories for example.

Low fat peanut butter ....... 25% less fat but ...... you save 5 whole calories (WTF?)..... they added almost as many calories as they took out.... and nut butters are healthy fat!

Low fat candy (oops ....I mean) granola bars ...... again lots of added sugar.

Fruit juice ....... whole fruit is a better alternative .... it has fiber in it.