Help....midnight snacking.

Options
I wake up in the middle of the night craving sugar. Tips, tricks?

Thx

Replies

• yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Sleep.
  • charleneleonard808
    charleneleonard808 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Eat a teaspoon of coconut oil before bed
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    What do you eat before you sleep, and how soon? I don't have any preference toward a time, but if you are waking up with cravings, it might not hurt to make a change and either eat later or stop eating earlier. Also, make sure to drink something before you eat. My late cravings are often just me being thirsty.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I used do this all the time. If I picked a cake or something like that it was easily 200-300cals.

I don't as often now, but what helped me was that I chose instead something that isn't lots of calories like 5 Goldfish crackers, a couple of raspberries, a strawberry or a sip of juice (not a whole cup).

This usually satisfies me and I don't even count it! We're probably talking about 20-30cals anyways. Works for me :smile:
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'd be working out why i was waking in the middle of the night. Have you tried taking a sleep supplement? Like magnesium, or zma?
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I wake up in the middle of the night craving sugar. Tips, tricks?

Thx

I have to save calories for the end of the night or I will toss turn and torment trying to sleep on an empty stomach, get up, and start eating the kitchen. With sugar in particular I find that abstinence helps. Anything sweet I really try to eat earlier in the day, because sugar has a way of lingering in your appetite.

There's also the classic advice: Go brush your teeth to help kill cravings. It "kinda sorta" works sometimes but considering you're probably brushing before bed anyway, it's not very relevant.
  • Jriggs46615
    Jriggs46615 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Occasionally, I will actually be awakened by hunger. I have found that the only thing that helps me is a small bite of almond butter, the kind that you'd grind yourself (nothing but almonds and maybe a slight bit of salt.) If I had to guess on the amount I eat in those moments, I'd say it's less than a teaspoon, probably half. It kills the hunger like nothing else I've tried, tastes good, and I fall right back to sleep.
  • elleaitch11
    elleaitch11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    For me - setting a timer for 10 minutes and suiting (lying) with the craving for that long. Usually it passes. If it doesnt you can decide to set the timer again or get up.
  • dangerousmezzo
    dangerousmezzo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You have my heartfelt understanding! I would practice a mindfulness technique until it passes. It will pass :)
  • ejsilvi
    ejsilvi Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Sunflower seeds
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Have a string cheese, see if the protein takes the edge off. :)
  • stevet621
    stevet621 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Go to sleep