What is my activity level?

Options
I work a desk job but I walk on all of my breaks ( about 20 -35 minutes of walking about 3 mph). I also have three kids to run around with and I go to the gym several times a week. Not sure what to set my activity level at. Someone help please.

Replies

• HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Just put sedentary. Don't look for excuses to eat more calories.
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I think it would be best to leave it at Sedentary and log your walks and gym time. Activity level is more when you're just naturally active on your feet as a waitress or nurse, you know?
  • LisaUlrey
    LisaUlrey Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just put sedentary. Don't look for excuses to eat more calories.

I am set at sedintary currently and it has me at 1200 calories. I am actually losing weight too fast. I have lost 12 pounds in 5 weeks.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    So what's the problem with keeping it sedentary?
  • LisaUlrey
    Options
    I am losing about 2.5 pounds a week. That is not healthy.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    How is it not healthy?

Not healthy in the sense you're possibly losing muscle mass?
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    If your settings on MFP are to lose 2lbs a week, consider changing it to 1.5lbs or 1lb. That way you can lose a bit slower. =)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Custom set your goal calories to reduce the speed of your weight loss.

Everything else just tends to be "analysis paralysis" - estimates are nothing but a start point.
  • Live4theLift
    Live4theLift Posts: 329
    Options
    How is it not healthy?

Not healthy in the sense you're possibly losing muscle mass?

PLEASE tell me how its healthy or good for you to lose muscle mass??? Im baffled at this response.... You will inevitably lose muscle mass when you diet thats a given but losing to much weight to fast is never a good thing. take it slow dont sacrifice muscle just to hit a magic number on a scale
  • LisaUlrey
    Options
    I am going to try to up it to about 1400. I don't want to gain and I don't want to be at a stand still either. Not sure what to do...
  • ladynocturne
    Options
    I am going to try to up it to about 1400. I don't want to gain and I don't want to be at a stand still either. Not sure what to do...

You won't gain at 1400, the first week you might see a small jump from sodium and waste storage in your bowels, but its temporary.
  • HerpDerp745
    Options
    PLEASE tell me how its healthy or good for you to lose muscle mass??? Im baffled at this response.... You will inevitably lose muscle mass when you diet thats a given but losing to much weight to fast is never a good thing. take it slow dont sacrifice muscle just to hit a magic number on a scale

You can lose 2 pounds a week and not lose (much) muscle mass if you eat your macros correctly and upkeep with resistance training. Especially if you are seriously overweight.

Depending on your goals, you may not care if you lose a little bit of muscle mass compared to a chunk of body fat.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    If you're running round after your kids at home I'd set at lightly active at least as you're not doing physically nothing all day.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I've read that most people lose quickly in the beginning. A lot of that is water weight. Then the rate slows down. That was true for me.
  • meadow_sage
    meadow_sage Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    If your settings on MFP are to lose 2lbs a week, consider changing it to 1.5lbs or 1lb. That way you can lose a bit slower. =)
    I agree with this post. Also, I don't know if you just started or if you have been at it for a while but people generally lose faster the first few weeks. It slows down.
  • LisaUlrey
    Options
    I agree with this post. Also, I don't know if you just started or if you have been at it for a while but people generally lose faster the first few weeks. It slows down.

I am 5 weeks in. Just starting with the diet.
  • Lmns218
    Lmns218 Posts: 155
    Options
    ^^^^It might just stall this month. That is what happened to me
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Put yourself as Lightly Active for playing with your kids, then log the times you make a point of exercising (lunch walks, gym days, etc). That seems like it would be the most accurate. :)
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options

yup, easiest thing to do is to change your goals to lose it more slowly, but i wouldn't call 2.5lbs / week unhealthy, especially when you are first starting out. believe me, the rate of loss will slow down.

here's a good read for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat#calories