Calorie deficit on Stronglifts?

Options
Hey everyone. So I'm starting the Stronglifts program tomorrow. I still have a significant amount of weight to lose (70+ lbs) but I'd like to focus on building muscle for a bit. I'm also running 3x a week (C25k), though I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I was reading through the Stronglifts program and it said that I would need to eat a little over maintenance in order to properly build and recover from my workouts. Is that true? I knew that I wouldn't be able to have a major deficit and lift, but would a small deficit, such as half a pound, while lifting be a valid option or should I just stick to the program as written?

I'm planning on following the plan for 12 weeks and then re-assessing my goals, so I don't guess it makes much of a difference but it's hard to wrap my head around the 'calorie surplus+lifting=slimmer' concept.

Replies

• Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a program designed more for strength rather than muscle building. Also in theory you can't build muscle on deficit.
    And lastly, are you new at weight lifting?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Continue to eat at deficit while you run the program. You will retain the muscle you have and possibly build some in the process.
    You will likely be surprised how much muscle you have once you lose the weight.

I would not recommend eating at a surplus at this point. Once you get down to goal weight you can access the next steps you want to take if you are not happy with how much muscle size you have.. either to recomp (build muscle and lose fat while maintaining weight) or run a bulk (eat at surplus).
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    @Ironandwine69, I've had a bit of experience, but nothing pertinent. And I think that, for now, strength would be better than muscle for me, overweight beginner that I am. Mainly, I just like the idea of a structured program that will let me lift heavier things than I thought possible :) I'm just not quite sure how to fuel myself while I do so.

@sardelsa, Thank you for the reply. How much of a deficit would you recommend? Or is it one of those, 'experiment and see what works for you' kind of things?
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Okay, then continue with the program on a slight deficit. I've done the program a few times and it was not easy to succeed on a big deficit. But that was my experience only.
    Good luck.
    And remember, form is more important than weight. So don't sacrifice form for more weight.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    The more weight you have to lose the higher your deficit can be. However you also want to feel fueled and not super restricted day to day. You can set up MFP with 1-1.5 lbs to lose per week or up to 2lbs depending on what you are comfortable with. Then go from there. You don't want to suffer but at the same time you want the scale to move too.
  • LenGray
    Options
    Thank you for the help, ladies! Hopefully, I'll have some good things to report in the next few months :)
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You might have more problems with recovery related to running 3 days a week than you will eating at a slight deficit. Nothing wrong with running, but a progressive lifting program and running are potentially going to lead to recovery issues. You can try running and lifting on the same days, it will still get you your true rest days.
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am in week two of StrongLifts at 5'3 175lbs and roughly 1500-1700 calories daily. Things have been feeling great for me so far. I've had one workout where I know I didn't eat enough and my squat felt really weak, so do be careful (I had only had about 1200 that day and had been walking for a few hours.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I run a slight deficit, I'm at 1650 calories per day. I don't know exactly what that means for how much weight per week. I lose a bit at a time, and am still making those newbie gainz when I lift. If I get to a point where I can't progress any more, I'll switch to maintenance. You probable won't be there for a while, and that's ok.

You may come to a point where you have to decide which is more important - lifting or running. But until then, be sure to eat back some of your exercise calories, especially if you aren't recovering.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    If you have a lot to lose, don't be afraid of the deficit. That's your goal. Lose fat. Use the program to maintain muscle, get strong and look hot.

Here was my final cut results while running 5x5 on a deficit (last 2-3 months). I did other strength programs throughout the initial 30lb loss.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    LenGray wrote: »
    Hey everyone. So I'm starting the Stronglifts program tomorrow. I still have a significant amount of weight to lose (70+ lbs) but I'd like to focus on building muscle for a bit. I'm also running 3x a week (C25k), though I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

I was reading through the Stronglifts program and it said that I would need to eat a little over maintenance in order to properly build and recover from my workouts. Is that true? I knew that I wouldn't be able to have a major deficit and lift, but would a small deficit, such as half a pound, while lifting be a valid option or should I just stick to the program as written?

I'm planning on following the plan for 12 weeks and then re-assessing my goals, so I don't guess it makes much of a difference but it's hard to wrap my head around the 'calorie surplus+lifting=slimmer' concept.

Just starting lifting while in a deficit is one of the rare times you could actually build muscle while losing weight.
    You won't have that opportunity later after lifting for awhile, nor after you have thinned down.

Depends on how fast you tap out your existing muscle so that more is needed to keep progressing, and how much BF% is available at that point.

As to recovery in a deficit - yes it's worse than if eating at surplus. So make sure your sleeping is good, and nutrition is on point, and as mentioned above, a decent deficit (at 70 lbs to lose, five weeks of 1000 is reasonable as you slowly increase the weight to current max).
    Frankly your running 3 x weekly could make that worse - depends on how hard the run is, and how much recovery the body needs.

Since recovery from a really hard lifting workout is within the next 24-48 hrs, that's when you need rest for the recovery and repair.
    If your legs are trying to recover and you throw a really hard run on them - well, not good.

So just confirm the C25K isn't sprints for the running part, nice calm run.
    This is the time it's actually useful to use the HR zone that for ages has been called Active Recovery - increase blood flow, aid healing. It was fad labeled Fat Burning zone and misapplied many years ago and now a correct backlash against it's misuse - but it still has a valid use.

Or - do the C25K right after the lifting, get all the damage done at once and run as fast as you want to, and only walk fast on days between lifting, still getting the blood flowing to aid healing.

After you start tapping out current muscle and progress slows down and some lifts fail, then move to 500 cal deficit.
    You still have enough to lose and can still make progress.
    May just have to schedule the meals and snacks better to confirm enough blood sugar to feel strong for the lifts.
    Your muscles have more than enough glucose for the effort, your blood sugar effecting your thinking will be the trick.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I first did Stronglifts 5 or 6 years ago, in a calorie deficit, and lost around 15 lbs in a little over 4 months. I gained strength and looked great B) I also did a half hour or so on the treadmill after each lifting session. It can work for you, go for it!
  • LenGray
    Options
    Thanks for all of the progress pics and encouragement, ya'll :)

@heybales Thanks for the advice! I decided to do lifting and running yesterday and was pleasantly surprised to find that I felt pretty good the rest of the day :) I'll slow down my runs though, just in case.