I made it out of the grocery store alive with my precious, precious 50/50 spring mix. . . (last one)

Options
ktekc
ktekc Posts: 879 Member
But weird yellow cherry tomatoes, anyway. . .I live in the NE of the US. Usually grocery shopping takes forever because of the amount to choose from and i cant decide. However yesterday morning was nuts. They had a fire at one of the Hannaford warehouses (no one hurt) and deliveries had stopped. The produce, deli, fish and butcher counters were basically empty. It was a madhouse. Even though there were signs up everywhere saying what was going on and that there should be trucks arriving by late afternoon you would think it was the end of the world. The poor people behind the deli counter looked traumatized. I could see maybe some mayhem if there were no deliveries in sight but swearing at a teenager doing his summer job because you wanted strawberries and this is the last day of the sale is ridiculous under the circumstances. Anyone else in the region have this issue in the last few days?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    No rain checks?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ktekc wrote: »
    But weird yellow cherry tomatoes, anyway. . .I live in the NE of the US. Usually grocery shopping takes forever because of the amount to choose from and i cant decide. However yesterday morning was nuts. They had a fire at one of the Hannaford warehouses (no one hurt) and deliveries had stopped. The produce, deli, fish and butcher counters were basically empty. It was a madhouse. Even though there were signs up everywhere saying what was going on and that there should be trucks arriving by late afternoon you would think it was the end of the world. The poor people behind the deli counter looked traumatized. I could see maybe some mayhem if there were no deliveries in sight but swearing at a teenager doing his summer job because you wanted strawberries and this is the last day of the sale is ridiculous under the circumstances. Anyone else in the region have this issue in the last few days?

Sounds like the French Toast Run before an impending snow storm. The primal "squirrel" instinct seems to always take over and common sense goes out the window when faced with a perceived "shortage". Add in the fact that people are so used to getting what they want, when they want it they get testy when things are exactly as they have always been.
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    i didnt ask cause they were stressed in there enough and stuff was coming soon. i went back last night and they had gotten in more, including the strawberries.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    i didnt ask cause they were stressed in there enough and stuff was coming soon. i went back last night and they had gotten in more, including the strawberries.

I wouldn't have raised a fuss with the staff either. Goodness knows they were having a worse time of it than you! Make a burst tomato pasta sauce with the yellow cherry tomatoes - yum!

Reminds me of the lady at Aldi a couple of weeks ago all indignant because the bulk avocado bin was empty but she found these bagged avocados and insisted they should be the same price.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »

I wouldn't have raised a fuss with the staff either. Goodness knows they were having a worse time of it than you! Make a burst tomato pasta sauce with the yellow cherry tomatoes - yum!

Reminds me of the lady at Aldi a couple of weeks ago all indignant because the bulk avocado bin was empty but she found these bagged avocados and insisted they should be the same price.

I worked in retail for over 20 years. The stories I could tell . . .

I wouldn't have asked either. Having worked in retail, I have seen enough to know what is beyond the control of the staff and what they can and can't do.

I was at Aldi one day when their POS system went down. No idea when the checkouts would be working again so I put my things back and planned to return the next day. One other time one register went down (I was second in line so I had my stuff on the belt) A guy came to open a different register but he started checking out people from the back of the line first because they were able to move over. Both him and the manager got an earful.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    I hate the back- to - front reordering when a new lane opens. Makes no sense. It's just easier for the new lane checker to take the entitled folks from the back of the line who jump on over than try to move everyone in the proper order, I guess.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I hate the back- to - front reordering when a new lane opens. Makes no sense. It's just easier for the new lane checker to take the entitled folks from the back of the line who jump on over than try to move everyone in the proper order, I guess.

Whenever I would have one of my employees open a new register I always moved the next person in line before announcing it. The rest of the people in line kind of moved like a zipper becoming undone. If the line was really long, I kept it as one line and fed into both registers from the one. Only fair.