Still struggling with weight loss

Options
Hi all, I'm new to this so please be patient with my question. I'm a 40-year old (tomorrow!) female, 5'6.5", 130.3lbs and BF is ~24.5% right now. I'm looking to get to around 125lbs before I go to maintenance. I'm doing KB workouts about 6xweek and have been logging for 17 days.

Starting I was 133.3lbs. Great I lost 3 lbs without much effort! Except not so fast, the weight I lost was almost right away and for the past week, I haven't lost an ounce. I'm literally the same weight I was a week ago. I've been logging everything so here are my numbers for the last 17 days... Avg calories in a day: 1362, Avg Excercise Burn/day: 153, Avg Net calories a day: 1109. According to the macro calculator if I want to lose a moderate amount of weight (1lb/week), I should be at around 1200 (based on Sedentary).

I get that I shouldn't freak out based on day to day changes but one week to the next without a change? Feeling frustrated and confused and not sure what if anything I'm doing wrong. Looking for some encouragement, input, advice maybe?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    It would take just about 2 weeks for you body to just adapt to a consistent exercise regimen. During this time it's NORMAL for no weight loss to happen because water retention will be higher due to glycogen storage and repair of muscles.
    Also are you more worried about your weight or how you look? Because what if you look the same losing 5lbs, but looked totally different and wore a smaller size lifting weight staying the same weight?
    This happens all the time with my clients and they eventually ditch the scale because when you're close to maintenance, a few pounds don't matter much.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • vjambois
    vjambois Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm fine if I weigh the same but am a smaller size. I have always been "naturally thin" but not really much muscle. Now that I'm getting a little older my booty is losing its shape. Plus the older women in my family with the same body type all get really flabby arms and sad, sad heineys. I'm looking to head that off sooner rather than later. Currently, I don't have the budget for a gym or to buy a bunch of weights so I'm doing KB workouts for now. I've been doing the Zuzka Light ones (which are sort of like HIIT, maybe some Tabata) and plan to add the Simple and Sinister regimen (more strength focused) starting tomorrow.

The calories seem so low and as it is I don't feel like I have much energy so I couldn't imagine eating less if this doesn't yield results.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would use a smaller deficit (actually I'd eat at maintenance) and strength train considering your size and goal. Weight loss is not always the answer when trying to improve one's physique.
  • vjambois
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I would use a smaller deficit (actually I'd eat at maintenance) and strength train considering your size and goal. Weight loss is not always the answer when trying to improve one's physique.

It seems like the bulk of my fat exists in the small area between my lower stomach and saddlebag area and my butt is just a shapeless blob (not big but no muscle), which is why I was hoping to lose some fat. I guess I'm confused because if I start focusing on strength training, won't the muscles just hang out under my existing fat?
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Over time, not necessarily. Muscle helps you burn more calories while resting, so if you continue at the same caloric allowance, it will help you slim down.

However, I'm also in the "patience" camp. One week really isn't a lot especially if you've increased your exercise recently.
  • vjambois
    Options
    Well I do like the idea of eating more :smiley:
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

This.

Definitely start to incorporate strength training esp if you want to improve the shape of your glutes, especially if you do it at maintenance.